changing gfx cards solved

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Husse

Post by Husse »

Check that the monitor is properly connected. If so use the old card and boot to change the video driver to vesa by editing xorg.conf, then shut down and insert the new card and reboot. Install the nvidia driver
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Lolo Uila
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Lolo Uila »

Just boot into recovery mode from the grub boot menu (hit Esc as grub starts if the menu isn't displayed). If you miss that and boot to the X error screen, then just hit Control+Alt+F1 to open a command shell. Login to recovery mode or the command shell, and:

Code: Select all

sudo nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf
and look for Driver "nv" (oer whatever) and change it to Driver "vesa" then restart. From there you can install the correct driver.

On second thought, from the command shell you should just be able to:

Code: Select all

sudo envy -t
and let Envy install the correct driver (probably a good idea to let it remove the old one first).

Aloha, Tim
Husse

Post by Husse »

What is to b e done depends on what this means
error msg is no screens found.
I interpret it as "no monitor connected" but it can be a software error too...
vinoman
Level 5
Level 5

Post by vinoman »

Husse wrote:Check that the monitor is properly connected. If so use the old card and boot to change the video driver to vesa by editing xorg.conf, then shut down and insert the new card and reboot. Install the nvidia driver
this thread was recommended for my post: http://linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6605

here's part of my xorg.conf file:

Section "Device"
Identifier "Videocard0"
Driver "nvidia"
VendorName "NVIDIA Corporation"
BoardName "GeForce2 MX 100/200"
EndSection

Should I just change the driver to vesa? do I have to change anything else?
vinoman
Level 5
Level 5

Post by vinoman »

Well I went to xorg.conf and changed the word nvidia to vesa. I guess that wasn't enough because when I rebooted the the FX5200 card I just get a black screen. How do I fix this?
Husse

Post by Husse »

Now I'm confused :)
Two closely related problems - how do I separate them :)
vinoman
If it worked before you changed to vesa change back to nvidia and reboot. Then disable compiz as I think that's the problem. After that you can try again.
vinoman
Level 5
Level 5

[Solved]

Post by vinoman »

I was able to fix the xorg.conf file via a PCLOS live cd. Mint 3.1 is working fine now and I haven't touched compiz. I don't plan on using it until its more stable. Maybe in the next version it will be better.

I like the basic special effects in Ubuntu 7.10 on my other pc. Now that I have a better video card, maybe I'll get that working when Daryna comes out.

[Solved]

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”