mintInstall 2.6 released

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
Husse

Post by Husse »

Nothing to do with mintInstall but I got a warning message something like "An older version is available in a repository" I think - I use the localized swedish version of Celena.
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Post by merlwiz79 »

Husse wrote:Nothing to do with mintInstall but I got a warning message something like "An older version is available in a repository" I think - I use the localized swedish version of Celena.
This is because it's not in the Celena repos. He wants us to test it for Daryna.
Here is a screenshot:
I think it looks nice.
Husse

Post by Husse »

This is because it's not in the Celena repos.
Well the message is
"An older version is available in a repository"
which to me indicates quite the opposite.
It also warned that this version may be insecure which I should have included in the first post
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Post by merlwiz79 »

Husse wrote:
This is because it's not in the Celena repos.
Well the message is
"An older version is available in a repository"
which to me indicates quite the opposite.
It also warned that this version may be insecure which I should have included in the first post
Well for Celena mintInstall is at 2.5.
So that is older than 2.6.
I don't remember anything about it not being secure.
cmost
Level 4
Level 4

Post by cmost »

Errors with mintInstall 2.6. Installed the DEB file, and restarted the computer. Double-clicked the new mintInstall icon in the applications folder but nothing happend. Ran the command in a terminal (both as user and as root) and got the following:

cmost@cmost-linux1:~$ sudo mintInstall
/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/apt/__init__.py:18: FutureWarning: apt API not stable yet
warnings.warn("apt API not stable yet", FutureWarning)
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/lib/linuxmint/mintInstall/mintInstall.py", line 329, in <module>
home = sys.argv[3]
IndexError: list index out of range

I'm running Linux Mint 3.1 (Celena) fully up to date. Any ideas?
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

Husse: That's just a warning from gdebi (package installer) which tells you mintInstall is in the repo so you shouldn't install from the deb.... just ignore the warning.

ElementalTJ: mintInstall needs a .mint file to work. In the command line you can type "mintInstall yourfile.mint", or in Gnome you can double click a mint file... and to get mint files or run them directly with mintInstall go to the Software Portal: http://www.linuxmint.com/software there should be a mintInstall item in your administration menu which should bring you there.

Clem
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

Anyway, I can see the use of mintInstall is not trivial enough yet.. I'll work on that for the next release.

Clem
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

eagle: Thanks for the feedback. I registered a bug for this here https://bugs.launchpad.net/mintinstall/+bug/153432 , don't hesitate to register bugs yourself if you see things that are wrong.

Clem
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

A blueprint was written and planned for the next version:

https://blueprints.launchpad.net/mintin ... vial-usage

The purpose will be to make things easier and be able to launch some kind of mintInstall default welcome screen which will guide the user in getting mint files.

Clem
Boo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Boo »

to make things simpler maybe what is needed is a mintInstall script that opens firefox to the software portal.

so if someone runs mintinstall from the command line ff opens to the software portal.
then a mintInstall.desktop file could be created to do the same thing and put in the menu and/or on the desktop.

:D
Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

Boo: Exactly.

Alexander: .deb is a package format, .mint is an installation protocol. Gdebi is a deb installer, mintInstall is a .mint installer.

Basically a mint file could install more than one deb, from different repositories (whether they're in your /etc/apt/sources.list or not), and even install other stuff.

Example of a mint file: "Multimedia Support".

This mint file could install java and flash from the Ubuntu repositories, then go and fetch w32codecs at a particular address (yes it can run stuff as well), eventually add another repository on the fly and install extra stuff from there..

The basic advantage of the mint protocol is that you see Software, not repositories, not packages... just software, and underneath it sets up the necessary repositories and gets the necessary packages for you.. then puts everything back the way it was.

Clem
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

.mint files pointing at 1 unique package and not specifying any repositories or extra installation steps are basically similar to debs. In this respect the software portal can be compared to removed.

Also, .mint files don't contain software though... only instructions to install software. So for instance a particular mint file could give you opera 9.20.... and without any changes.. 6 months later it could give you opera 9.23...

Clem
blogger
Level 4
Level 4

Post by blogger »

A great improvement, Clem.
It works quite well in CELENA, and the GUI looks perfect.
Cheers,
Blogger
Husse

Post by Husse »

Clem
Have you considered failed mintInstalls
Just remembered that I see people now and then with odd repos, like this guy
http://www.linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6013
who has debian etch repos in an install a few hours old
A fallback mechanism that resets sources.list under "all" circumstances would be good
rootkowski
Level 3
Level 3

Post by rootkowski »

For me it worked just fine. No errors, nothing. Worked like a breeze on my Celena. I think the gui and the way this version works is more consistent with the whole system. And it is also simpler to use thanks to simplified gui.

Great job!

A suggestion for someone with design skills - it would be nice to have a nice icon for .mint files. Don't you think?

Return to “Releases & Announcements”