Sound Blaster 16 PCI - Detected but not working...

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Raletia
Level 1
Level 1

Sound Blaster 16 PCI - Detected but not working...

Post by Raletia »

Ok... here goes.. and if you don't want to read alot of stuff the main text part is the most important.

Little foreground-
I bought this card several years ago, at Wal-Mart, on the box is says its a 'Creative Sound Blaster 16 PCI' - Windows XP reports it as a 'Creative Audio PCI (ES1371, ES1373) (WDM)' in the device manager. I am using it because I got frustrated with the C-Media CMI9738 AC'97 built into my motherboard having barely audible mic volume at full boost.. It has been disabled in the BIOS. My mainboard btw is a Jetway V333DA(POST calls itself a V333PRO but google results seem to conflict.)

Main Text-
Anyway.. The Creative card works wonderfully in Windows, but in Mint 3.1, both the beta 21 and the full release, it does not. It is indeed detected. But there is only volume controls for the recording aspect of it, and after turning everything on in the mixer, the only playback slider present was.. something like 3D Center or similiar, forgive my memory as I am making this post from XP(I can't stand not having my sound).

I have already searched and searched, and found a bug report that it was something in ubuntu that broke it (Reference).

So I followed those instructions that were linked to(Reference), and downloaded and compiled all those things(after alot of trouble as it seems several things needed to compile were missing...) Anyway.. after an hour of searching around and all I finally had done all those things to Alsa, and... nothing. So I rebooted, and.... nothing. Also at every reboot all the mixer settings are always back to almost everything off and muted, both before and after I did this stuff to Alsa.

Additional Info-
I want to get this fixed, because I want to use linux more, but I can't if I don't have sound. Also, I did have beta 21 installed before I put in the creative card, and it worked with the onboard sound fine, but windows the mic volume was almost inaudible with everything fully boosted and turned up. Hence me putting in the creative card, but now today when I reboot into Mint with the creative card it doesn't work, I notice that the 3.1 is out of beta and downloaded the iso burnt it and formatted the linux partition completely and did a clean install of mint, but neither the live cd nor the installed os work with the creative card, and its all it has ever seen. I tried rebooting and going into the BIOS and turning the onboard card back on hoping that I could use it with linux and turn it off when I want to use windows, but no go, Mint just did some kind of weird hybrid thing with the mixer where it added controls from the CMI to the creative card but no sound came out of either. However my preference is to get the creative card working so I don't have to switch around, but it comes to switching around I'm stumped here too, unless I would need to physically remove the creative card.. which would be a pain to do everytime I wanted to use linux and would probably just keep me in windows.

And yes I need my mic in windows, and linux both, I use teamspeak, to talk to my friends when I play games, and I need it to work in windows for playing Battlefield 2 and 2142, and in linux I need my sound and mic for the windows games that I can use on wine, and for listening to music and of course.. teamspeak.

So there you have it... can anyone help me?

Thank you in advance.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Raletia
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Raletia »

After taking the card out and looking at it. The main chip on it says CT5880-DCQ and printed on the top of the cards cirtcut board is the model number CT4740

After searching for around 20 minutes I've come to the conclusion that the SND-ENS1371 Alsa module is used for these cards as well. ( Reference )

That then leaves my original theory of what was going on possibly debunked, so I really don't know. At first I thought maybe it needed a different module but it seems thats not so.

I'll see if I can't post a couple screenshots of what the mixer shows in a bit today.

Return to “Hardware Support”