Novatel Ovation MC950D (USB modem: UMTS, EDGE, GPRS)

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Novatel Ovation MC950D (USB modem: UMTS, EDGE, GPRS)

Post by scorp123 »

Hello all,

just to share my joy in finding that this little thing works tip top on Linux :D

Link to manufacturer's web site + product info:
http://www.novatelwireless.com/products ... c950d.html

The funny part is: I couldn't get this thing to work on Windows XP SP2 :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ... but it worked almost instantly on Linux :D

Important: As I wasn't able to use the stupid Windows software to initialise my SIM-card I used a trick I read in a Huawei (the Huawei E220 USB-modem is very similar feature-wise to this one) forum: I put the SIM-card in a spare phone and initialised it there (= turn it on for the first time). I also used the phone's setup functions to remove the PIN-code from the SIM (otherwise you'd apparently need the Windows software to enter it whenever you use this? Not sure ...)

To get this modem working, please see my other posting here:
http://www.linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopi ... 6905#36905
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

More detailed setup instructions for SUNRISE in Switzerland:

/etc/wvdial.conf:

Code: Select all

[Dialer Sunrise]
Modem = /dev/ttyUSB0
Baud = 460800
Init1 = ATZ
Init2 = ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0&C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0
ISDN = 0
Modem Type = USB Modem
Phone = *99#
Username = ''
Password = ''
Carrier Check = no
Stupid Mode = yes
Now when you use the modem it will first show up as virtual CD-ROM and not be visible as USB-modem. So I wrote this script '/usr/bin/Sunrise.sh':

#! /bin/bash
sudo modprobe -r usbserial
sudo eject /dev/scd1
sudo modprobe usbserial vendor=0x1410 product=0x4400
sleep 3
wvdial Sunrise
And because I am a lazy person, I created myself a new launcher with a nice icon that executes this command:

gksudo 'gnome-terminal -x /usr/bin/Sunrise.sh'
So ... now all I have to do is to plug-in the USB-modem into my Linux laptop, wait until the virtual CD-ROM part gets mounted, and then click on the icon ... I get asked my password and the rest happens automagically, and bingo! I am connected to the Internet. Anytime + anywhere I want to or I need to. :D

Kudos to SUNRISE in Switzerland and to NOVATEL for providing Linux-friendly devices. 8) 8) 8) 8)

Re: Novatel Ovation MC950D (USB modem: UMTS, EDGE, GPRS)

Post by Guest »

I have a problem with this device on 2.6.9 RHEL 4: internal USB mass storage doesn't work and causes ~5 minutes delay between plug-in the device and the moment from which it can be actually used as a modem (creation of /dev/ttyUSB0). I wish I could somehow disable or fix mass storage function.
Husse

Post by Husse »

Not to talk of posting in the right forum :)
Baggerfahrer

Post by Baggerfahrer »

Hey scorp123,

you write at the Initstring for the UMTS modem: Baud = 460800

this means that the connection to the Stick is limited to 460 kBit/s.
My question is: Do you able to get HSPA speed with that configuration. HSPA should be more than 1 MBit/s
baggerfahrer

Post by baggerfahrer »

Yes this is exciting but i get indeed hspa speed with that configuration :-D
i get up to 2 mbit/s download and up to 1 mbit/s upload.
I think the usbserial driver ignore the baud setting.
UMTS-TUX

Post by UMTS-TUX »

Hello,
I have the MC950D too and I tried to get it run the way it is described here. But it does not work properly.
No I have solved it this way:
First I created a new UDEV-Rule /etc/udev/rules.d/80-umts_stick.rules:

SUBSYSTEM=="block",ATTRS{vendor}=="Novatel",ACTION=="add",RUN+="/usr/bin/eject %k"
This way I solved the problem with the CD-ROM. No I can load the usbserial-module with my properties.
That for I edited /etc/modprobe.d/options and added the following line:

options usbserial vendor=0x1410 product=0x4400
No I have the necessary devices and configured KPPP like it is described on http://www.novatelwireless.com/index.ph ... Itemid=331.
I think this is a better way then writing the bath-script.

I hope I could help you.
Greats Alex

P.S. I use Kubuntu
eleanori

Post by eleanori »

Why do people assume that Internet comes with a modem? How do I configure my router without a modem.? I have cable internet that comes straight into my house without any modem. It's always on and I have a static IP. So how do I configure my router? It assumes that since I have cable internet, I have a cable modem. My research on the web always assumes a modem. Puzzling!
Last edited by eleanori on Fri Oct 09, 2009 3:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Post by pdc_2 »

hmmmmmmmmmmm

I think you are off-topic here: this thread started as a how-to; to plug in a USB dongle that works off a phone company; sort of thing you plug into a netbook, and go walk around a city and browse the internet

seems like you want something different here: you are at home; with a cable; so that seems different to me ..........

Return to “Networking”