wired network...

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
900i
Level 6
Level 6

Post by 900i »

Is it an onboard nic? Nvidia by any chance. Go to main menu>Control Center>Hardware Infomation and look for your network interface. Then we can take it from there.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Desktop Core i7 Linux Mint 21.1 / Laptop Dell Precision M6400 Linux Mint 21.1
900i
Level 6
Level 6

Post by 900i »

Ooops, you got no interface, try my tip above.
900i
Level 6
Level 6

Post by 900i »

I didn't mean Nvidia graphics, I meant Nvidia network adapter!

Above screenie shows my network adapter details.
900i
Level 6
Level 6

Post by 900i »

I can't see any network interface listed. :shock: If you again boot with the Live CD can you do the previous checks so we can work out which chipset your network is using.
900i
Level 6
Level 6

Post by 900i »

See my previous post regarding Live CD. OK forget that I have looked into this and loads of Ubuntuites have this problem with Nforce chipset boards, assuming yours is Nforce. I would just go ahead and install a cheap Realtek pci network card off Ebay, I have used this solution in the past when I have had network interface problems.
Husse

Post by Husse »

The mobo is a PCchips p23g
Ouch!
Lowest possible quality - sorry
PCchips have a solid reputation for being crappy
And it's not nforce - I don't think nvidia would sell to pcchips :)
But there is no nic (network card) recognized - why it worked in the first place, well......
This is hardware failure, at least in the sense that the hardware can't be used....
And to avoid any legal problems it's my opinion about pcchips - it's not the official Mint policy
Husse

Post by Husse »

I have to do a better search for broken network and nvidia video driver - don't understand why but there seems to be something going on
p23g

Re: wired network...

Post by p23g »

Mint has nothing to do with not seeing the inbuilt network card of the p23g PCchips mobo.

This mobo stops seeing the network card after reboots from linux (although this never happened to me when rebooting from windows). When this occurs, no network card is listed in bios.

You should switch off or unplug the psu and wait a few minutes until all the power drains from the motherboard. You should see that the network card reappears in bios after you boot the motherboard again.
Husse

Post by Husse »

Hi p23g
Any other pcchips experience?
Even if your tip works - which seems plausible - it's no long term solution. You can't really do that all the time....
p23g

Post by p23g »

I did that for years.

If you want a solution, don't get such a cheap motherboard.
Husse

Post by Husse »

Oh dear oh dear...
You could unplug before going to bed and plug in again when it's time to use it.
I don't intend to search for answers but this is probably Linux communicating with BIOS in the wrong way for this mobo
In theory possible to solve with a specially compiled kernel

Return to “Networking”