Need to access Bea shared folders from Windows

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

The stuff you can configure from the "Administration" menu doesn't seem to work properly. I just tried and noticed that it doesn't start up the necessary background processes (smbd and nmbd).

What I did: In the repositories there is a package called gsambad ... It offers far far more configuration wise and it does work. I just tried it.

Don't get scared by the amount of settings gsambad offers ... Most of the stuff doesn't even need to be touched. The only things you really need to configure:

- the hostname of the server
- the IP address(es) of the server
- where the server will announce his presence (usually the broadcast address of your LAN, e.g. 192.168.1.255)
- what usernames should be used by Samba (you would probably put the same username in there you alread use for your Linux desktop)
- there seems to be a bug: the configuration expects the presence of a user with the name smbguest but per default it doesn't create such a user and gives you error messages when you try to activate the configuration. Workaround: add a user smbguest manually, give him a password and an empty home directory (e.g. /home/guest ), then hit "Activate" again.
- Shares: per default the home directories will be shared if you can login via Samba, so you probably don't even need to touch that part.

If you see any option you don't understand it's probably safe to leave it untouched. :wink:
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
kody
Level 1
Level 1

Argh!! Why does gsambad hate me?

Post by kody »

It's probably just getting too late for me, but I'm quite overwhelmed with all the information out there for Samba. There's too much for someone who simply wants to know how to add a user. I've read all 29 forum posts here and people either solve the problem but don't say how or they successfully used gsambad to add their users.

gsambad however just gives me nothing but migraine headaches. It can't add users for me. It can't save a single modification I make to any of its fields actually.

Is gsambad even needed though? Yes, Bianca lets you connect out-of-the-box to your windows box and you can see the shared directories and vice versa, but the files aren't accessible. I gather that this is due to me not having set up a user in samba. Does Bianca come with its own samba configurator? I can't find anything in Administration/Networking or /Network Tools.

Mint's been really easy for this newbie so far thanks to programs like Envy, synaptic, and Automatix. But now it's been getting tough with setting up Samba, Beryl, and my sound card for some reason.

Sleepy time. Must be my problem. If any kind soul has any links for how I can easily set up samba users,

Return to “Networking”