New Software Ideas- mintBuild and mintConvert new mintRescue

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
The Darkone
Level 1
Level 1

New Software Ideas- mintBuild and mintConvert new mintRescue

Post by The Darkone »

Hey Guys I've an Idea

1st) mintBuild
Do you know the new openSuse „Build Service“? With only one Click you can install new Software in a Web-based environment. With an little Add on for mintInstall an the most popular Browser under Linux (Firefox, Konqueror and Opera). We can make this to.
With this Add on mintInstall become loaded in back round and is installing the new Software from the Internet.

2nd ) mintConvert
How often you found not a .deb-Package, but a .rpm-Package or the source code. With “Alien” to Convert this Package is easy, and “make” is it not so easy for a new User. With mintConvert is it easy for everyone to create a .deb-Package from source code or a .rpm-Package. You have only to open the Context-Menu per mouse and click convert2DEB. After a short time you have your new .deb-Package.

Sorry for my bad English

greez
The DarkOne
Last edited by The Darkone on Wed Aug 29, 2007 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Boo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Boo »

they are good ideas.

mintinstall as a plugin sounds really cool.

mintConvert sounds more like a power users tool.
It is a good idea but if you don't know the consequences of what you are conventing and installing you could easily destroy your nice working system.
This would be very dangerous to the average user, and new converts to linux.
we are disabling update notification on the desktop for the same reason in the next release.

:D
Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!
The Darkone
Level 1
Level 1

Post by The Darkone »

I know this problem. I've done i installed untrusted Packages and the 1st Time i couldn't rescue it i made a backup from my home-Folder and install Mint new. The 2nd Time it was hard working to become my system clean^^.

But thats brings the next Idea:

mintRescue:

1st Feature: like Apples new Time machine
A simple Backup-Software. It copy your Files if you wanna Delete them into a save Partition in a Folder with the delete Date and the Folder where the Data was, but also importantly Data like xorg.conf if vou have overwritten and now nothing functioned.
For example “/mintRescue/12.03.2007/etc/X11/xorg.conf”

And with an easy GUI you can bring the Data back to the origin Folder or wherever you want.

2nd Feature: A rescue CD
You can start with the mintInstall-CD in a rescue Mode where you can edit the xorg.conf or source.list. Also you can deinstall bad packages or reset your system to default (like a new installed mint), scan for root kits and delete Files also you can use the first Feature. Of course you need Root permissions

EDIT:
you can start the first Feature without root permissions you can rescue only your home-folder and can't see anything from other users or the root system, nothing else
Boo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Boo »

the second one can be done now.
boot off live cd, open terminal, change to root user, mount / partition and chroot to it.

:D
Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!
The Darkone
Level 1
Level 1

Post by The Darkone »

That's right, but what's about damaged partitions or boot loader?

I mean a nice-minty-Menu where you can select your Problem over a button and mintRescue do the rest.

Like:
- Repair partitions ( partitionstables, superblock [no Idea] ...)
- Reinstall Bootloader
- Replace important Configuration per default
- Use the mintRescue-Folder
- Scan for Rootkits with rkhunter/chkrootkit
- Scan for Linux-Viruses with ClamAV/AVG/Avast ...
- Repair Synaptic (bad packages, rebuild your installed programs ...)
- Repair user account
and so on.

There are maybe many more points for a graphically rescue system on your installations medium where you can Boot from it. Naturally there is Knoppix or Kanotix but this is not specially for LinuxMINT.

If you have a rescuesystemt, which looks for an installed MINTsystem. Don't let me lie, but nearly all newbies (like I) do not have a term, how one works with the Terminal.

Additionally the system represents, how you can repair the disturbance with the help of the Terminal.
lool55
Level 1
Level 1

Post by lool55 »

Yeah!
I'd like to try them all only in MintCelenaDVD because more application make her bigger than ever.

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”