A few ideas for Celena

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

fluxam wrote: 1) firewall : Firestarter seems fine. but it should be part of a default setup.
Unless you run a server and offer services like web- or FTP-access to Internet users a firewall isn't even needed in 99% of the time. Different than Windows your default Mint installation isn't running any services that would need this level of protection (in Windows there are some ancient leftovers: standard services that cannot be turned off --Windows would stop to function-- and thus those network services need to be secured by a firewall or else bad things might happen ... Linux doesn't have that unless you installed some kind of server process such as web or FTP ...).
fluxam wrote: 2) Beryl Manager : It ought to be loaded by default.
Not such a good idea. Beryl doesn't work so well on some graphics cards. Turning it on per default could create a lot of problems for a lot of users, even on cards that should be supported it can happen that Beryl makes a big mess (e.g. totally white or completely black screen, window borders gone, and so on). It's better to be on the safe side and have it turned off per default.
fluxam wrote: And then getting the effects configured is time frittering.
But very rewarding once it works, is it not? :wink:
fluxam wrote: 3) Adding fonts : There's gotta be a better way than kfontview.
You can drag & drop fonts to your "fonts:/" folder. More details here: http://penguinfonts.com/howto/ubuntu.php
belovedmonster
Level 5
Level 5

Post by belovedmonster »

patprimate wrote:One last suggestion - any tasks/options provided in mintAssistant should have a detailed enough description that a linux/mint newbie would have no problems understanding. Also, perhaps any disclaimers about stability/security problems that could potentially occur from activating/using the particular feature should be present.
I'd go further and say there should be an option to just go with all the default settings with a note that you can always go back and change things later.

That would be good not only for noobs but lazy people like me who dont wanna spend ages picking options :D
newW2
Level 5
Level 5

Post by newW2 »

Perhaps there should be a query added to the install sequence that asks a question similar to: "Are you new to Linux? Or would you like Mint to add a shortcut to the desktop for answers to the most frequently asked questions on security?" When the answer is yes, that link is added and the user could launch the Wiki with an explanation (already there) on why the user isn't going to need a FW, etc. ... unless. An off page link would take them to the how-to instructions for installing Firestarter (that promotes the s/w portal) and other s/w.

I know it starts sounding like M$, but I'm a convert and security was one of the things I was most interested in during the transition. I had Firestarter running and showing in the system tray all the time at first, but as I gained more understanding I stopped launching it (the same for virus scanning).

My two and a half cents.
Orchaldir
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Orchaldir »

Hello!

As you can see in http://www.linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3822 I had some problems getting rw access for an external usb hdd.

For new mint users like me it would be helpful to add a note like this to mintDisk: External usb hdds must be started before mint or else they are read-only.

It is only a small change, but it would help some new users.
Sorensei
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Sorensei »

Er, you know that if you prefer Bea's artwork, you can put it back on? :wink:
I don't have a solution, but I do admire the problem.
carlos
Level 4
Level 4

Post by carlos »

Mohnish, I hope you don't take this the wrong way, but, to drop a distribution because of its artwork is pretty ridiculous, especially considering that it can be changed so easily. As a matter of fact if you wanted it to look like ubuntu its very easy.

Now if it was because there were features that were missing, it ran slow, etc... That would be more of a valid excuse. And we would all be happy to help.
____________ ________ ______ ____ ___ __ __ _
http://www.designdrifter.com
The Purpose of Life is for DNA to reproduce.
Husse

Post by Husse »

This
http://wicd.sourceforge.net/
instead of network manager?
Husse

Post by Husse »

This should have been fixed long time ago I think :)
When you right click the desktop and the select "Open in terminal" the terminal should open in (on?) the desktop not in /home/your_name
Christof999
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Christof999 »

GFXboot all the way for 3.1!
facade47

Post by facade47 »

Christof999 wrote:GFXboot all the way for 3.1!
I second this motion :D
carlos
Level 4
Level 4

Post by carlos »

I 3rd that motion. I would love to create a kick ass animated login screen. Wen te time comes :D
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

Hi,

Check BUM and SUM in the Sofware portal.

Clem
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

Christof999, Facade47 and Carlos: I've tested gfxboot and produced a BETA001 ISO for Celena.. it works well, graphical grub and all. It breaks usplash though, but I think I know how to fix that...

Clem
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

GFXBoot in Celena:

It works. I fixed the issue with usplash. Two issues are remaining:

- There's a problem with Ubiquity.. for some reason it wants to install grub... which is already installed. So I need to tweak it a bit more.

- The theme I'm using looks crap (see below), so I need you to work on it and produce a better one.

In order to make a better message.mint (the theme for gfxboot), follow these instructions:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=208855

Clem
carlos
Level 4
Level 4

Post by carlos »

Holy crap, sweet!
Xgamer
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Xgamer »

yeah it's cool boot !
kosmonaut
Level 1
Level 1

Post by kosmonaut »

Hey Clem&others!

Will Celena have a better support for bluetooth?
http://www.linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopi ... oth&t=2900
A better support would be really great.
Example nautilus-send-to needs to be optmized see link above.
Or are there new still unknown mintapps for BT :-D?

Regards, K.
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

clem wrote:GFXBoot in Celena:
Why does this remind me so much of OpenSUSE's boot menu? :wink:
Boo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Boo »

looks cool

can you replace the white dots with mint leafs?

:D
Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

That IS the SUSE boot screen, I just tweaked it a bit to see if it was technically working. I expect you to come up with better artwork for it now :)

Needless to say Celena can have a graphical grub, but you (the community) need to provide some artwork for it :)

Clem

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”