The two major solutions to wifi problems

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
kwandtke
Level 1
Level 1

The two major solutions to wifi problems

Post by kwandtke »

OK .. new to Linux ... pretty experienced in Windows ... really looking forward to running it. Messing with Ubuntu (Feity) on one dekstop and liking it so far ..., tried to load it (using live cd) on my Dell E1505 laptop. It blew up during he load on the WiFi card. A friend suggested I try Mint .. said he liked it a little better and thought it was a good starting platform. Since the Laptop is the primary machine my Wife uses I'd like to make this as simple as possible.

OK .. so ... I am running off the live CD right now on that laptop, using a hardwire network .. that seems to work fine. Can somebody tell me what I need to do to get my WiFi working?
Boo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Boo »

you use network manager.

there can be some gotcha's though with it (and wireless networking in general).

network manager is the icon (2 computers for wired or no network) next to the clock.

if you right click on the icon it should have enable networking ticked.

left click on the icon.
click on connect to another wireless network.

if it is not there the fun starts... file edit time.
open a terminal window (right click on desktop)
edit the interfaces file, only leaving the loopback interfaces lo (first 2 lines).
type:
sudo gedit /etc/network/interfaces.
edit file and save and close.
restart networking
sudo /etc/init.d/networking restart

now back to the network manager.
left click on the icon.
click on connect to another wireless network.
enter your essid, choose encryption type and enter key.
select ok or close once all info entered.

now the keyring manager will appear and ask you to enter a new password and confirm it.
the keyring manager holds all encryption keys for apps on the system (mainly for wireless though)

wireless is now working.

when you next login the keyring manager will ask you for a password (ie the one you entered earlier).

:D
Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!
Husse

Post by Husse »

The solution offered by Boo is one of the two major solutions to wifi problems.
NOTE: You may have to make several attempts to connect before you succed.
The other is to navigate to /usr/lib/linuxmint/mintWifi and follow the instructions in "index.htm" in that folder. It is a bit outdated, but is still valid.
Added july 07:
A) The simplest way to find out which chip you have is to run mintWifi.py - see below. In most cases you get the name and PCI ID in a simple manner this way.
B) If you have a USB wifi - use lsusb (as stated in index.thml) This gives you your USB ID - you will have to examine the output carefully. Use that to search in the list linked to in section 5 of index.html. If you don't find it there you can run the command sudo lsusb -v which should reveal manufacturer and chipset.
(Index.html refers to Bea, and talks about Ndisgtk which is the "Install Ndiswrapper" tool in networking, other than that it should be ok)
If you still have problems run the command "sudo /usr/lib/linuxmint/mintWifi/mintWifi.py" and paste the result in a post and we may be able to help you.
NOTE: While you do that disconnect any wired networking connection because if you don't that'll give you "name resolution" and it looks like you're connected to the internet.
Note: I have not been able to find the folder "/usr/lib/linuxmint/" in Bianca KDE.
This is a link to a rather new howto in the Ubuntu forums for a solution to the problems with the common Broadcom 43xx chip:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=405990
I have only just (2007-06-30) found this page that may help
http://www.hpl.hp.com/personal/Jean_Tourrilhes/Linux/
and especially the Wireless tools
http://www.hpl.hp.com/personal/Jean_Tou ... ols.html[b][/b]
Last edited by Husse on Thu Jul 12, 2007 5:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Husse

Post by Husse »

I am presently thoroughly rewriting the instructions in mintWifi.
If you can't get WPA working this may be the solution for you:

Code: Select all

We can use wpa_supplicant, which is installed by default.
The procedure is as follows:

Create the file /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf and insert the following:

ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant
ctrl_interface_group=0
eapol_version=1
ap_scan=1
fast_reauth=1
network={
    ssid="your_accesspoints_essid"
    scan_ssid=1
    psk="your_wpa_passphrase_in_plaintext"
}

It's probably simplest to create wpa_supplicant.conf on the desktop and copy it to /etc

sudo cp ~/Desktop/wpa_supplicant.conf /etc

Make this file "root only"

sudo chmod go-rwx /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf
Reboot and you are connected - I hope

There is also an extensive how to in the Ubuntu forums
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=318539,

Return to “Beginner Questions”