RSS and IRC

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

RSS and IRC

Post by clem »

Hi,

A new IRC channel was opened for Linux Mint.

Server: irc.spotchat.org (port 6667 or ssl_port 6697)
Channel: #linuxmint.com

As the website and forums are often down these days, this is great news for us.

Another good news? An IRC bot will notify the channel for each post on the forum. :)

Also, if you want to get an RSS feed for the list of messages posted on the forums, you can use this link: http://linuxmint.com/forum/rss.php
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

Once again thanks to Michael for all the help in setting these up.
antiquexray
Level 5
Level 5

Re: RSS and IRC

Post by antiquexray »

root wrote:Hi,

A new IRC channel was opened for Linux Mint.

Server: irc.spotchat.org (port 6667 or ssl_port 6697)
Channel: #linuxmint.com

As the website and forums are often down these days, this is great news for us.

Another good news? An IRC bot will notify the channel for each post on the forum. :)

Also, if you want to get an RSS feed for the list of messages posted on the forums, you can use this link: http://linuxmint.com/forum/rss.php
As previously mentioned, I still feel like a Newbie. Can someone post a link, or give a brief tutorial on how to use an IRC. I never have and don't know what, or how, to do it.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

Yes, first you need an IRC client (a program that can connect to IRC servers that is...).

If you use Gnome, you can use "xchat".
If you use KDE, you can use "konversation".
If you use Windows (...) you can probably use "mirc" or something free instead..

Once you've opened your IRC client, you'll type the following commands:

/server irc.spotchat.org

--> that's to connect to the server... (wait for a little while until the connection is established).

/nick antiquexray

--> that's to define your nickname..

/join #linuxmint.com

--> that's to join the linuxmint channel. and from there you can simply type whatever you want and chat with the others.

Good luck :wink:
jonpackard
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jonpackard »

I had to use http://linuxmint.com/forum/rss.php instead.. the other one did not work correctly. The linuxmint.com RSS brought up a totally different forum.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

Hi,

Try not to link to resources behind linuxmint.com... our up to date web pages and resources are hosted on nutime.de... the ones on linuxmint.com might be outdated. Eventually when we're finished migrating to nutime.de, we'll update the DNS and both address will point to the RSS that you can now find on nutime.de.

Sorry about that..

Clem
jonpackard
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jonpackard »

Not a noticeable one. In fact -- Linux Mint comes with Amarok, a KDE music player.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

Well, in theory there shouldn't be...

but in practice, KDE apps tend to assume that KDE is there around them (Amarok with Knotify for instance).

Also, since Gnome uses GTK, apps that use GTK also run faster.. since the libs are already loaded. Qt/KDE apps can potentially take more time to start since they need to load the KDE/QT libs...

The integration and look and feel can be an issue as well. Gnome and KDE have different ideas about ergonomics.

Now having said that, if some KDE application is really cool I don't have any problem using it under Gnome (Amarok, possibly Konversation, Kopete, Koffice..etc).

Clem
jonpackard
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jonpackard »

Grats on Level 4 Clem! :)
I'm glad that Linux Mint will be using the best apps of Gnome and KDE to the user's advantage. :)
Adler
Level 4
Level 4

Re: RSS and IRC

Post by Adler »

Hi Clem,

I've not been successful in getting your Blog URL to add to my RSS feeds on my Blog. I do catch this everyday using Evolution as my e-mail client.

I have - of course - several things running, and want to add you to my Word Press Blog Roll.

What is the address that I should use?
Adler

Wildwood, New Jersey -- On The Jersey Shore
What Doesn't Kill Me, Makes Me Stronger - Friedrich Nietzsche - Was mich nicht umbringt, macht mich starker
Adler's Home @ http://www.jjmacey.net/, And Where I Have Been.
Blog @ http://jjmacey.net/blog/

Return to “Releases & Announcements”