64 Bit Edition

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

Thanks Artimess,

There won't be any 64 bits version of Bianca. I'll let the experts (Fragadelic) go and explain this in further details.

Depending on Feisty Fawn and the quality of their 64 bits release we might support this architecture in Linux Mint 3.x.

Clem
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
catweazle
Level 2
Level 2

Re: 64 Bit Edition

Post by catweazle »

mstlyevil wrote:
artimess wrote:
If you have less than 4 gigs of RAM, You probably should not even bother with the 64 bit version since you will not see much of a benefit from it. Also consider that there are still some things missing for 64 bit Ubuntu that you might miss.

@ clem

I have run both 32 bit and 64 bit and there is not a substantial speed difference between the two.
I did not believe your statement so I did a test.
I am running ubuntu 64 bit and (since today) mint daryna on the same pc (amd64x2 3800+ with 1 GB ram. I have compiled cinelerra (with OpenGl) on both the same way. Then I rendered the same video (13 minutes play time) on both OS. Mint rendered in 15:36 minutes using 45 % of the ram and over 80 % of both cpu's. Ubuntu 64 bits rendered in 12:51 minutes using all ram and about 45 % of cpu's. The difference was nearly fully made in 1.5 minutes play time of the video where I used a lot of effects. This confirms maybe the statement of the 4 GB ram.
EDIT : I did the test with the same video on a fresh install of gutsy 32 bit. Same result as with mint.

Return to “Non-technical Questions”