Linux Mint 5 Elyssa RC2 (BETA 048) is out!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
Computersleuth

Re: Linux Mint 5 Elyssa RC2 (BETA 048) is out!

Post by Computersleuth »

Computersleuth wrote:I thank all of the Mint team for their outstanding work. This is a very nice release. . . .

I have a Compaq v5000 notebook with an AMD Turion CPU and Broadcom wireless. I am unable to get wireless to work. The card did not work on the initial install. I have since implemented the workaround(s) outlined here:

http://linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... fig#p73370

Neither the initial installation restricted driver nor the workarounds had much effect. In both cases, there was no detection of any wireless router.

I have a hunch that this is about DHCP support, primarily because the IP addresses that are detected are not the usual Linksys values. But I am unable to determine this for sure, and I do not have the time to run this down.

That said, I am surely hoping that the stable release has this fixed.

Again, thanks for a great distro. I currently use Mint 4 on my desktop. I am hoping to be able to use Mint 5 on both my desktop and my notebook.
BTW, I performed this workaround:
1)Blacklist the bcm43xx kernel module. Do this by browsing in the desktop file browser to /etc/modprobe.d. Right click in the open directory window (on a blank space) and select Open In Terminal. In the terminal window, type sudo gedit blacklist. Type your user password. The blacklist file will open in a text editor. Go to the bottom of the file and add these lines:

#disable bcm43xx
blacklist bcm43xx

Save the file and reboot the computer.
2) Get the sp34152.exe file from the HP website. If you need the address, it's here:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/soft ... 28&lang=en
3) Create a folder called "Wireless" and put the downloaded exe file in there.
4) Enter that new folder and right click on an empty space. Again, choose Open In Terminal. Type in the Terminal window: sudo cabextract sp34152.exe . Give your password. The cabextract program will extract the contents of the exe file to your Wireless folder. (It doesn't matter where that folder is. We created it simply to keep all the extracted files in the same place.)
5) We're almost there: run Mint Menu>Administration>Windows Wireless Drivers. Click the Install New Drivers button. Navigate to your Wiress folder, and select bcmwl5.inf. Click okay and install. After a few seconds of hard drive activity the window will have a listing for the new driver but report Hardware Present: No. Ignore this!
6) At this point your wireless LED should be glowing blue instead of orange! If so, quit the Windows Wireless Drivers program and click on the Network Manager applet icon. Select your wireless network from the list. Enter the password if necessary. And you should be off and running.
I also did this:
After this point, open terminal and type

sudo ndiswrapper -m

And add the following line to /etc/modules: (sudo gedit /etc/modules)

ndiswrapper
BTW, I am a newbie with Linux, although I have substantial experience on Tandem Nonstop systems and MS Windows. This means that I know the concepts, but I know few details on how to find my way around in Linux.
67GTA
Level 6
Level 6

Post by 67GTA »

Computersleuth: If you will make another thread in the "Networking" section of the forums, and give all the info about what you have tried and your hardware, someone should be able to help you get it going.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
67GTA
Level 6
Level 6

Post by 67GTA »

kurkosdr,
I was referring to Computersleuth's wireless problem. The Firefox bug will be fixed upstream by Mozilla, or in the flash-plugin package.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
Computersleuth

Post by Computersleuth »

67GTA wrote:Computersleuth: If you will make another thread in the "Networking" section of the forums, and give all the info about what you have tried and your hardware, someone should be able to help you get it going.
Done. Thanks.
AK Dave

Post by AK Dave »

I have Firefox3 installed on Kubuntu on another partition. Same exact crash. Not a Mint problem.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

Hi everyone,

Just to let you know that BETA 054 looks good to me. I'll do a few more tests on it and I will send it to Exploder tomorrow. If everything goes well we could have a STABLE release before the week-end.

Clem.
AK Dave

Post by AK Dave »

ROFL! I installed 032, and within days 048 was sent to Exploder. I finally got around to abusing network privileges enough to download 048, haven't even burned the iso to disc, and here comes 054. I'll hold on installing 048 and spent my time waiting for 054 by scrapping Kubuntu-KDE4 off of a test partition and giving a shot to the OpenGeu 8.04 alpha. I feel like a little Enlightenment will put me in the proper frame of mind to enjoy 054/Stable.
Lantesh

Post by Lantesh »

exploder wrote:The wallpaper bug is from one of today's updates. I am sure it will get fixed.
This bug is manifesting itself on my PC as well.
jinchoung

Post by jinchoung »

clem wrote:Hi everyone,

Just to let you know that BETA 054 looks good to me. I'll do a few more tests on it and I will send it to Exploder tomorrow. If everything goes well we could have a STABLE release before the week-end.

Clem.
Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeet! i love how official policy is "it's done when it's done" but the developer doesn't think twice about giving us heads up like this! thanks!

jin
Lantesh

Post by Lantesh »

I thought I'd post up here for Clem and the development team that Firefox 3 RC2 has been released. Hopefully this makes it into the final release of Elyssa. :)
Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Zwopper »

skrotten wrote:I right click on my screen and then i click on change background image and when i then chose an background it wont work. I have to click many times before it work.
It work fine before then i just had to click once and then the background image was change.

Anybody else have this trouble?
And by the way i am from Norway and my English is not so god so i am sorry if i wrote some wrong.
And to the last i have to thank for this very god work they have don with this release of Linux Mint. I love it.

:mrgreen:
Morten
I have the same problem, it used to work fine, but now it doesn't!

//////OT////////
Heja Norge! - Ha det kjempegrejt i sommar!
My artwork at deviantART | My Band - Electric Alchemea
CREA DIEM!

Lenovo U330P | i5 | 16GB | 128GB - SSD | Elemantary OS 0.4
akshunj

Post by akshunj »

orduek wrote:I know that the 2.6.24 kernel is doing some problems to people.
and as I understand, the point release of Ubuntu Hardy will change it to 2.6.25 -
any ideas as to what is the policy here?
After a week of testing, I've got kernel issues also. Laptop won't suspend at all. Sometimes it won't boot. Just a freeze in the first few seconds and I have to manually power cycle it. I tried to upgrade to 2.6.25, but that was equally a mess. I ended up with no wireless, and no pulseaudio. <sigh> I hope we have access to the new kernel with the Ubuntu point release...

--Akshun J
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

Note: Don't take the package upgrades that have to do with Gnome (this causes a regression and you won't be able to change the wallpaper anymore). Also, the upgrades on GDM don't fix the known GDM issues (network manager error messages on shutdown, long first time launch, weird theme selection). As always, I would recommend everybody to stay away from package upgrades unless they're given a level 1 or 2.

This problem with Gnome actually delayed me today and although I've got an ISO ready which I'm happy with it looks like we might be releasing on Monday. Exploder is busy at the moment and I won't be working on Mint this Saturday...

FF3 RC2 won't make it in final. It will come as a level 2 upgrade, when ready.

One of the major bug fix in Elyssa final will be the fact that when Flash crashes, Firefox won't. By simply reloading the page, Flash will work again. We're still looking at FF3 RC1 and Flash 10 beta, but wrapped within nspluginwrapper.

Clem.
Zero Prime

Post by Zero Prime »

DaddyX3 wrote:Hello all! Have a silly question for you .... Is Elyssa 5 32 or 64-bit? I'm "ass-u-me'ing that it is 32-bit. If so, is there any interest with this community to do a 64-bit version? I have been using Hardy 8.04 64-bit since it was released and I do notice a nice performance gain (I'm triple booting between Hardy 32, Hardy 64, Ultimate Edition 1.8 64-bit [don't shoot me, please :wink: ]).
Whats up Daddy? Yes, there are plans for a 64bit edition. You know, you could have asked me that at the other house :)
AK Dave

Post by AK Dave »

confused! Clem! I love you man! You're beautiful, you know that?

Installed 048 on my laptop. Never has powersave worked on this laptop with linux "out of the box". Always its jumping through one hoop or another, restricted video drivers, kpowersave, some dumb crap like that. Why can't it just work?

048 - it just works.

I had no faith that it would work. Hmm, lets hit shutdown, what the heck I have a few spare minutes to force a recover from a locked screen when the laptop won't come back from suspend for the umpteenth time. Sure, lets do it. Suspend. Wait. Power-up. Full recovery.

Unfortunately, hibernate throws an error that I wasn't fast enough or prepared enough to catch. But nevertheless, it still works. Select Elyssa from the grubmenu and I'm presented with a password prompt and I'm right back to the same desktop I just left.

Attention to detail, Clem. You're my hero.
mcurran

Post by mcurran »

Individual file download progress bars are not colored in on mintUpdate. They're just white, instead of having blue fill showing on the progress side/half/whatever. Sorry if this should go somewhere else, I don't care about this and am just tryin' to help out the distro., is there a bug report collection area for the BETA's?
AK Dave

Post by AK Dave »

It appears, from surfing ubuntuforums, that part of the rt61 problem may be that the chipset doesn't properly identify itself. Use lspci or lsusb as appropriate and see what it says for your rt61. It will probably say something like "Network controller: RaLink: Unknown device 0302". I don't know how you can expect a default hardware installer script to know what to do with hardware that doesn't properly identify itself.

Here's a related ubuntu thread. Your rt61 appears to be a known issue with the rt61:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=132980

From the end of that thread it appears that the rt61, in some cases, works just fine on fresh install but if you read carefully the people who say "everything works fine" are using WEP not WPA. Which is your problem.
AK Dave

Post by AK Dave »

If the device is identifying itself properly, then it may be that MintWiFi isn't packaged with the driver you need. There can be many reasons for this. The backports package, in general, is a way to allow "older" base systems to use features or software intended for "newer" base systems. In this case, the backport may be necessary because of dependancy issues or kernel version. Mint (and Ubuntu) do not use, across the board, the bleeding edge versions of all software. I really don't know why the driver you need is in backports instead of the core distro, but what usually seems to happen is that stuff from backports eventually rolls up into the core distro over time.
AK Dave

Post by AK Dave »

I'm sure you're not the only one with the problem. Hardy messed a lot of people up, when Gutsy was working fine. Sounds like they had a good old-fashioned regression. Mint's close tie with Ubuntu is probably why this problem exists in Mint also. It is also possible that this apparant regression was intentionally created due to some other problem not understood by either of us that is solved in this way. Sort of a "lesser of two evils" sort of thing. Regress rt61 support, fix something else more critical, and then roll up rt61 support with the 8.04.1 point upgrade. Its always easier and more tempting to blame incompetence for what may have been done intentionally.
David Field

Post by David Field »

Running the software, which geneally seems ok, however Evolution 2.22.2 which is the version currently running, doesn't have a complete set of fields for setting up access to an Exchange Server. I am allowed to enter the Exchange username, ut there are no fields for Server name etc or to authenticate the USername against the server.

Return to “Releases & Announcements”