Post bugs in Daryna beta 021 here

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
npap
Level 6
Level 6

Post by npap »

Ok fellows,
I had to download Ubuntu Gutsy to see that it is behaving like Daryna, or better , the other way around.
Screen resolution problems are carried over to Daryna.
But working in Safe Graphics Mode, may bypass this bug.

Cheers
oliverjames
Level 4
Level 4

Bugs with Beta 021

Post by oliverjames »

Installed Beta 021. Formatting /home . Installing on ACER Travelmate 4052LMi, integral Realtek AC'97 sound circuitry.

Sound worked fine in live CD mode. Opened and listened to the BBC while installing.

After install no sound from computer. Attempting to listen to BBC or other audio streams causes Firefox to freeze. Previously Mplayer would open and play. (BBC uses Realplayer by default for many of its transmissions). Note that Realplayer not available thro Synaptic.

Manual install of RP doesn't solve problem, Firefox still freezes.

Have not been able to get sound with this Beta. All previous Mint installations have dealt with this impecably.

NOTE: similar problem experienced with Beta 008 Daryna XFCE.

There is more. Having installed Skype, And GoogleEarth I can no longer boot the installation. I think this is a resource issue. Note that all worked perfectly under CelenaG and Cassandra XFCE.

Importing settings doesn't work in either Gnome or XFCE Daryna.

Suggestion - It would be a nice touch to allow more user intervention with the Grub setup. For example - set default distro, choose whether to install Grub or not.

Looking forward to the final release of Daryna.

Oliverjames
rootkowski
Level 3
Level 3

Post by rootkowski »

I have also noticed some instability when using wine apps (itunes for example). But I am quite sure that comes from the fact compiz is running at the same time. Anyway, I've never seen my mint freezing like that. There's of course the option of switching off the effects and that helps.

There are also some little things happening every now and then, totally at random. And usually such a thing happens just once and is never repeated. One of such is that when I wanted to switch on compiz it asked for my sudo password, which is really weird. I can't think of more right now.

Cheers
rootkowski
Level 3
Level 3

Post by rootkowski »

I'm afraid I've found another thing. It's most probably Gnome thing or HP. Anyway, I was trying to print a 10 page document with 2 pages per sheet in Document Viewer (Evince). First I marked to print all pages in reversed order, which resulted in just 2 last pages printed on one sheet, and indeed they were in reversed order - first page 10 then 9 :-S

Then I just wanted it to print the document, but still with the option of 2 pages per sheet (not reversed). It printed only 4 pages (2 sheets) and then it stopped and kept quiet (even though it was set to print all pages).

My third and last try was to print pages 5-10 (again 2 pages/sheet). And... nothing happened. The printing was stopped the very second it was started. Clicking Resume doesn't help.
oliverjames
Level 4
Level 4

Post by oliverjames »

The greying out appears to indicate no response from the application. I had the same when putting load on resources from within Firefox.

I'll checkit out later this evening
Wh1sper
Level 2
Level 2

Envy destroys the probably the system

Post by Wh1sper »

I've installed 2 times the new mint. one time beta 021 and one time the beta 008 xfce edition.
both have the same failure, so I post here.
On my Asus G1 Notebook, the live-cd boot well, everything is working.
but after installation there come the point where I wish to add the NVIDIA driver.
Envy was not installed so I did it with aptitude install envy.
after this there is the gtk library bad nothing with gtk works anymore.
Please see the details here http://linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6467

First I thought it was an temporary error with the repository but it seem the failure is still there.
Mein Blog fuer Nerten und Linux Strategen http://zockertown.de/s9y/
cgraham
Level 1
Level 1

Nvidia

Post by cgraham »

I installed Daryna Beta 021 and used the "Restricted Drivers Manager" to install the nvidia drivers. It worked fine, even Compiz works.

The only problem I've had is with Open Arena. If you play more than one level it drops out of fullscreen mode to a window. Then you can't do anything with it. I have to do a hard reboot to get my system back to working.

Chas
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

I am finally able to set back and enjoy Mint 4.0! I fixed the logon, logoff ,, screen lock, shutdown bug, DNS name resolution bug, OpenOffice bugs and system performance is almost equal to Celina's!

The only thing I have not been able to fix yet is ccsm, no matter what I try it causes problems... I can use the Normal Effects with no problems at all. Normal Effects is good enough for now. Spinning the desktop gets old pretty fast anyways. At least the system is totally stable and quick now.

The new tools in Mint work as good as they look. The new default toolbars look fantastic! The artwork in Mint 4.0 is the very best, everything down to the splash screens looks great!

The Mint Update tool holds up much better than the old Update Notification. The old Update Notification would always break for me after a few updates, never to be seen again! The Mint Update tool is solid and a quick glance at the numbers tells me where things are coming from.

The link to the Software Portal on the menu makes quick work out of adding packages.

I am really liking 4.0 now!
Wh1sper
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Wh1sper »

Just for Info: I did install Gutsy Gibbon yesterday, with wlan working while install.
Therefor the automatic updated took place and the gtk bug bites me again.
( http://linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6467 )
I did not install the NVdiia driver manuel nor I did use the restricted driver manager.
Now I am at the point to return to LinuxMint 3.1
I have to work with my Laptop next days :)
Mein Blog fuer Nerten und Linux Strategen http://zockertown.de/s9y/
diego1188

Post by diego1188 »

Kynan wrote:
rwd wrote:Hi, I am using Linux Mint for about a week now and I'm very happy with it. One thing kind of bothers me though. Every time I install new software via Synaprics, mintMenu creates 100% cpu load and needs about 1 minute to be usable again. [...]
I can also confirm that 1min lag before mintmenu will respond to clicking on it after installing a program. I'm using Celena and it happens on two separate machines, tho after a reinstall on one i haven't had the problem since (on that one).
I've got the same problem with Cassandra, but the mintmenu reloading often requires more than 1 minute. The Python process needs 80-100% cpu load and in some cases >600 MB ram.
Husse

Post by Husse »

mintMenu can under some circumstances be very hungry for resources and is being rewritten, the new version is not ready in time for Daryna, but will be there in the next Mint (hope I remember correctly)
I've just read the thread and thought I'd throw in a few support answers
@ rootkowski
All partitions are supposed to be discovered during install, of course they need to be connected.
If not you can edit /etc/fstab and add a line for the offending partition like so
/dev/sda8 /media/sda8 ext3 defaults 0 2
You also may have to add a folder in /media with the name of your partition (in this case sda8)
The thing you experienced with nautilus is probably no bug but some quirk in your system
@ Lolo Uila
EDIT: I wonder if it has to do with the size of the drive? It is a 750GB hard drive...
You bet :)
@ puba62
You try to use a low spec computer with low memory and motherboard from PCchips ... not the recipe for success
Some of you would be helped by these how tos
http://www.linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6317
http://www.linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5987
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

I have seen the menu get unresponsive after some packages are installed, however this only lasts a few seconds. I would not consider this a bug at all.

I also monitor memory use pretty carefully on my system and the menu has never been an issue.

Here are my system specs.

Athlon 1800+
768 mb DDR 266 RAM
ATI Radeon 7200
Biostar Mainboard with VIA Chipset
Mitsumi FDD
120 GB Maxtor IDE Harddrive 7200 rpm
Phillips 24x CD-RW
Salvaged HP CD-RW/ DVD+ combo drive
VIA Rhine onboard ethernet
VIA Vinal 97 onboard sound

As you can see this machine is not exactly a power house by todays standards and the mint-menu works very well here.
rps63ifid
Level 1
Level 1

Problems with mintUpdate over past week

Post by rps63ifid »

mintUpdate hasn't worked for at least the past 5 or 6 days. After installing the Daryna beta right after it came out, mintUpdate informed me a couple of times that there were updates available and I was able to install them without any problems. Since about Wednesday of last week -- it is now Sunday morning here -- it has consistently complained about either being unable to connect to the internet or (as of this morning) that it can't refresh the package lists.

From about Wednesday evening through yesterday, I couldn't get to anything on the linuxmint.com site although I had no other internet problems. (In fact, I posted a question on linuxquestions.org on that issue and had a response from someone indicating that it was a problem with the DNS servers on the linuxmint.com end of things). As of this morning, though, I can again at least see the linuxmint.com domain again (obviously, since I am posting this here).

When I first signed in this morning, mintUpdate informed me that there were 16 updates, but when I opened it, there were no packages listed (tried refreshing several times). Now I'm back to the broken lock with the little red "x" and the status message says "Could not refresh the list of packages".

I started synaptic, reloaded the package list, and had it mark all of the available updates just so I could see what's there... and there are a bunch waiting. I did not install them via synaptic, because I'd like to get back to the point where mintUpdate is working the way it should.

What gives? Any ideas on how to fix this?

Thanks for any help you might offer. I have two boxes in this state (one running the "normal" Daryna beta and the other running the XFCE CE beta).

--
/ron
Lolo Uila
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Lolo Uila »

The nameservers for linuxmint.com have had problems lately.

http://www.linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6611

Is it working for you now?

Aloha, Tim
vinoman
Level 5
Level 5

Post by vinoman »

Have run Daryna beta live for a while. so far it runs smoothly. Boot up live seems a bit slower than Celena, but it could be the same.

One good thing I noticed is I can now change my screen resolution from the 1440x1024 that comes up by default to 1440x900 which is the correct resolution for my Viewsonic 19" wide screen. :)
RSimpson
Level 1
Level 1

Post by RSimpson »

Booting off the LiveCD in default mode, Mint loads and the desktop is displayed, as well as a blank menu bar. Nothing else. Had to hold down the power button to turn off my laptop.

Tried again in safe graphics mode. Lots of nasty garbage flickered on the screen, but it seemed to work.

I booted up for the first time to see that the "solved" problem of Graphics "file "/etc/grub/message.mint" missing, press a key to continue was never fixed, and somehow "can't" be fixed - in any other way than making people search through message boards, that is.
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Post by merlwiz79 »

thenixedreport wrote:I have a question. I have looked and looked, yet I can't find a way to increase the number of virtual desktops that I have. The reason I want four instead of two is simple: I want to be able to use the 3D Cube properly. What do I mean?

With Compiz-Fusion, when I hit Ctrl+Alt and click and hold the left mouse button, I am able to move the two desktops around, but it looks more like flipping a piece of paper over than the 3D Cube that I'm used to. Any suggestions?
Open the CompizConfig Settings Manager and click on General.
Next click on Desktop Size and change these 2 settings:
Horizontal Virtual Size and Number of Desktops to 4.
pashabear
Level 3
Level 3

grub bug

Post by pashabear »

Well, doesn't seem this bug has been addressed, my disc setup isn't so complicated and I get the same error. I'm trying to install to an external USB HDD, everything goes fine until the grub install. The only difference from mindcandy's error is mine is on (hd1).
pashabear
mindcandy wrote: ...

error msg: Executing 'grub-install (hd0)' failed. This is a fatal error.

Machine is as follows:

Dual 3.2Ghz Xeon CPU's
2Gb PC3200 Ram
4x 80Gb Hdd configured as RAID 5 via Adaptec 2400A ATA Raid controller.
Asus PCH-DL mobo
NVidia GeForce 5700

merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Possible bug?

Post by merlwiz79 »

mindcandy wrote:Hi, I'm a complete newb to linux so apologies if this is my fault somehow but here goes:

error msg: Executing 'grub-install (hd0)' failed. This is a fatal error.

Machine is as follows:

Dual 3.2Ghz Xeon CPU's
2Gb PC3200 Ram
4x 80Gb Hdd configured as RAID 5 via Adaptec 2400A ATA Raid controller.
Asus PCH-DL mobo
NVidia GeForce 5700

LiveCD seems to work fine although I don't seem to be able to access the hard drive (which I assume is hd0 under Linux rather than C: ).

Would love to get this up and running since Linux Mint LiveCD has impressed me considerably (I've been trying Linux every year for about 6 years now and Daryna is the first distro to find and make 'most' of my hardware work without pain).

Everything works under windows XP so I'm sure its not a hardware issue.

Ta.
I thought GRUB only works on RAID 1.
CyberManifest
Level 1
Level 1

Daryna XFCE beta 008 Edition

Post by CyberManifest »

Please see / refer to the following post (42296):

http://www.linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopi ... 2296#42296

Return to “Releases & Announcements”