Cassandra KDE Community Edition is out!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

There is a workaround for the bug in the installer. Since the bug is not in Ubiquity itself but in the KDE frontend, the solution is to use the Gnome frontend itself:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install ubiquity-frontend-gtk
sudo apt-get remove ubiquity-frontend-kde
sudo ubiquity
Clem
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

We rely on Ubuntu to fix this upstream.. and after what happened I'm not particularly keen on upgrading again. I think we're going to have to go for the workaround or if it comes to the worst, repackage the KDE edition to use the GTK frontend automatically.

At the moment, the bug has been advertised in the release notes and measures have been taken for this not to happen again in future releases.

Clem
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

The integration of Compiz Fusion is planned by Ubuntu for Gutsy so we will either include their changes or improve on it but it will happen for 4.0. As a general rule we do not work or invest time in things planned by Ubuntu, it would make no sense.
bernado

workaround for the bug in the installer

Post by bernado »

Hy Clem,

I gave Mint KDE to a friend in order to install it. He needs the option "partition manually" due to an existing home directory. But he can´t get his wlan working "to solve the problem" (install ubiquity-frontend-gtk). So it would be good to have a Mint KDE DVD with correctly working installer. Maybe you can release a modified Community KDE.

Bernado
kenetics
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kenetics »

Just wanted to mention that the Webergy download site was fast for me this morning - always above 700 kbps.
Fintan
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Fintan »

xav wrote:I think you can also try to install the last BETA version and then install all the updates and view the release notes to upgrade it. The installer in the BETA version works OK.
That is the path I took (I already had beta.13 :) ) when reading about the installer issues.
Last edited by Fintan on Thu Aug 16, 2007 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bernado

Post by bernado »

I think it generally doesn´ t give a good impression of a new version I you have to write "Attention we have a major problem with the installer". The BETA was the version to test everything and this is the final version and everything during install should work perfectly! I would strongly recommend to modify this version and release a fixed one if this would not be too much effort.javascript:emoticon('8)')

Bernado
ceti
Level 2
Level 2

Post by ceti »

bernado wrote:I think it generally doesn´ t give a good impression of a new version I you have to write "Attention we have a major problem with the installer". The BETA was the version to test everything and this is the final version and everything during install should work perfectly! I would strongly recommend to modify this version and release a fixed one if this would not be too much effort.javascript:emoticon('8)')

Bernado
It happens...
Actually, it happened to sidux a similar problem the same day (yesterday too) they have launced the new version, Gaia. See by yourself:

http://sidux.com

So,don't blame Clem and Boo. They're doing a wonderful job FOR FREE!!!

Cheers
Sorry, but that's the way it is.
serge
Level 1
Level 1

Post by serge »

Men, why don t you make an alternate iso like Kubuntu.
I wait so long since I installed Bianca to go to next step.
Now I m just finish install Kubuntu 7,04 on *X* Ati card with text mode.
Text mode give faster installation to test beta and also let you make change as you need.

Now, that s dangerous for me to stay with. At less, until Celena Kde out

Y en a pas de facile

Serge,
ElEdwards
Level 3
Level 3

Post by ElEdwards »

Does the installer issue affect the miniKDE version, too?

clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

Yes. It should.

Clem
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

Check the logs from mintDisk in /usr/lib/linuxmint/mintDisk/mintDisk.log

Clem
ElEdwards
Level 3
Level 3

Post by ElEdwards »

Clem, maybe I didn't word it correctly....

Does the problem with the installer also cause problems with the miniKDE iso? If so, I don't want to try it until the problem is resolved.

clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

ElEdwards: You did word it correctly. It should, yes.
ceti
Level 2
Level 2

Post by ceti »

After 02 hard, entire days, I finally finished downloading the mini version. I installed it to my wife's machine and...IS GREAT!!!
Congratulations, Boo!!! The little issue is a piece-of-cake, easy to fix.
I just thought you could have been a bit more daring perhaps. KDE Cassandra has all the looks of KDE Bianca, even the Window Decorations is the same. Next version (Celena), differeent visuals, eh?
Anyway, my wife loved it.

Cheers
ceti
Level 2
Level 2

Post by ceti »

ElEdwards wrote:Clem, maybe I didn't word it correctly....

Does the problem with the installer also cause problems with the miniKDE iso? If so, I don't want to try it until the problem is resolved.

I don't know what you mean with "PROBLEMS". I downloaded/installed the miniKDE and the only PROBLEM was that one, largely reported in this topic, but it's SOOO easy to fix: just open a terminal and follow the steps on the top of the Release Notes. It's a question of 1-2 minutes.

Cheers
ElEdwards
Level 3
Level 3

Post by ElEdwards »

I'm sorry.... I'm not trying to offend anyone. It's just that I have read in this thread that the installer has been crashing when manual partitioning is selected. As a noob, that sorta scares me ;)

I'm downloading the miniKDE right now (don't have a DVD burner). I'll try the work-around and see what happens. The worst that can happen is that I have to start over, right? :) I've already backed up the important things.

El
ElEdwards
Level 3
Level 3

Post by ElEdwards »

Please bear with me a little longer...but I'm confused about something....

When I finish downloading the miniKDE and burn it to a CD, I'll reboot to this CD to do the installation, right?
...so if I boot up to the CD, how is it possible to open a terminal and do the following?

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install ubiquity-frontend-gtk
sudo apt-get remove ubiquity-frontend-kde
sudo ubiquity 
Sorry, but I'm a bit confused. :(
newW2
Level 5
Level 5

Post by newW2 »

Yes I did so last night. Just enter the code one at a time in terminal. The install will start after the last code is entered. Leave the terminal open and answer the normal install questions in the x-window for: keyboard layout, language, etc.
ElEdwards
Level 3
Level 3

Post by ElEdwards »

Whew! :)

Well, it worked! I'm now using the KDE version....and really like it so far.

The advice and installer work-around was right on the money!

Thanks so much! :)

El

Return to “Releases & Announcements”