CPU temp under LinixMint is higher than under WinXP

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Boo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Boo »

is this a hardware temp monitor. ie an LCD screen on the front of the case telling you the temp that is not software dependent.

I would believe an all hardware temp monitor.
using a software temp monitor via 2 different OS so therefore 2 different temp software, may result in a mix up or reordering between thermometers.

any way temperature is just an indicator of CPU usage, the more it is used the hotter it gets.
so you could also check your CPU usage vs temp for both OS's.

:D
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

Linux does run cooler .... I can tell from experience. My Evo N610c would get hot as fire under Windows and the ventilator would run all the time. Not so under Linux.

The problem here is that you are using software to read the temp, and that software is probably using ACPI or the BIOS or something like that to provide the temperature info. Depending on the implementation there may be slight differences in the results that get displayed.

BTW, as long as the CPU stays below 75°C - 80°C you should be safe in any case :wink:
rich_roast

Re: CPU temp under LinixMint is higher than under WinXP

Post by rich_roast »

amberika wrote:Why does my computer start with no cpu fan, but while the cpu fan is plugged in the screen stays black? I have recently been having some problems with my computer. First the fan sputtered and stopped working. I replaced the heatsink/fan and powered it on and it is still not working. When I unplug the CPU fan, the computer boots as it normally would. What is wrong with my PC?
While related to the OP this really needs a new thread, probably under hardware.

I'm not really that technically-minded but I'd guess there's something wrong in the configuration of your power supply unit.

Return to “Beginner Questions”