Modem

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
twarren
Level 1
Level 1

Modem

Post by twarren »

I am new to Linux, I have a little experience with openSUSE. I loaded linuxmint today and cant seem find the dialer. Unfortunately High speed isn't an option right now(live to far from anywhere). I have configured the port, login, password and port with the network setup, but still cant seem to dial out. Probably something I am overlooking. Any help would be appreciated.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
sharke
Level 1
Level 1

Post by sharke »

If you have configured correctly open a terminal and enter pon provider or whatever name you configured. Also take a look at /etc/ppp.
Regards
Sharke
twarren
Level 1
Level 1

Hardware

Post by twarren »

I think I have everything set up correctly I just dont know how to get the modem to dial. What makes it dial?
twarren
Level 1
Level 1

Modem

Post by twarren »

Thanks for the tip. I got gnomeppp and can now get the modem to dial and connect to my ISP but it wont stay connected. I suspect something with the scripting and will probably have to work it out with the ISP. Thanks again for the help.
twarren
Level 1
Level 1

Modem

Post by twarren »

Changed one setting in gnomeppp to stupid mode and them was able keep connection. Not sure why this works, but sure am glad it did. Didn't the last response until I got it to work.
Thanks again. Maybe some day I will know enough to help someone else.
Boo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Boo »

thanks all for this solution.

that gnome-ppp works sweet, and i should be part of the distro.

cheers
Boo
:D
Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!

Return to “Hardware Support”