NTFS Read/Write access with Mintdisk

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Husse

Post by Husse »

This is most likely due to the UUID thing.
I've solved a similar prolem by changing the UUID to dev,
in your case instead of
UUID=60B631F90F873B69 /media/sda1 you use
/dev/sda1 /media/sda1
I beleive UUID is the future, but it changes when you make basic things like resizing a partition and adding a new one.Then you get sda1 and sda2 but the UUID of sda1 may have changed.
And pls note that ntfs-3g is not the default. Restrict write permissions to your Windows from Mint and vice versa (of course you must use third party software in Windows)
(You did not have ntfs-3g in fstab)
Hope you understand me, I'm really tired right now :)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Post by Husse »

I think you've misunderstood a bit. I did so myself a few weeks ago when I was new to mint. Mintdisk is there to mount "disks" (like USB flash drives) that appear and disappear. Disks that are always present are mounted in fstab.
You should have
/dev/sda1 /media/sda1 ntfs defaults,nls=utf8,umask=007,gid=46 0 1
not commented out, it will be mounted (if it is ntfs)
As for why the disk is not mounted by Mintdisk I don't know, but possibly Mintdisk does not mount with the option -3g

//edit//Haven't checked a ntfs disk mounted by mintdisk, but I think it's mounted r/w without the option -3g//
You have to edit a bit in fstab if you want write permissions to a "permanent disk"
Husse

Post by Husse »

No, not by mintdisk when it's found in fstab that's how it's mounted. You have an option somewhere (can't remember now) to have the disk on your desktop or not - I prefer not and turned it of from the beginning.
If you want to give your ntfs write you just add -3g in fstab and give write permission so you get
/dev/sda1 /media/sda1 ntfs-3g defaults,nls=utf8,umask=000,gid=46 0 1

I.e. you have to change umask as well
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

Hi,

I wish I had read this thread earlier, this is a trivial problem.

mintDisk doesn't mount partitions that are present in fstab (commented out, or not). The reason for this is simple, you can :
- have the partition mounted by fstab (by setting it up in fstab)
- have the partition mounted by mintDisk (by removing all occurences of the partition name in fstab)
- have the partition not mounted at all (by having the name in fstab but commented out).

So, basically all you need to do is "remove" the lines referring to your partition from fstab, reboot and it will be picked up by mintDisk in read/write mode.

Clem
Husse

Post by Husse »

My mistake - obviously I have not read carefully enough :)
//edit
Clem, it might be a good idea to state in mintdisk that it does not mount partitions that are present in /etc/fstab in any form, commented or not. I find it natural that something that's commented is not used by any program, just by humans. It's easy to make the mistake I made in this thread and I have not found any info on mintdisk other than the text in mintdisk itself, but I probably just missed it :)
But the way you can regulate what happens is nice :)
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

To be honest it's just laziness... mintDisk should have an "ignore list" or a way for you to configure partitions you don't want to see mounted. Since it already checked fstab, the comment way is just a trick to push mintDisk into thinking it's taken care of by fstab and so to make it ignore your partition ;)

Not very pretty I know.. :)

Clem

Return to “Storage”