i want beryl!!

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Re: i want beryl!!

Post by exploder »

There are dependency problems with installing Beryl in Daryna. Compiz Fusion has most of what Beryl had to offer. Are you having problems with Compiz?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
cmost
Level 4
Level 4

Post by cmost »

Exploder, can you elaborate on the dependency problems? I've run Beryl 0.3.x debs in Daryna with no problem. Of course, I got them from a third party repository (Trevino's.) Regardless, Ricky, if the only thing you miss about Beryl is the tidal waves effect, then I'm at a loss to help you. Personally, I found that effect quite annoying but to each his own. In my opinion, Compiz-Fusion is much faster and more stable than Beryl was. I urge you to try and get used to it; I think you'll like it once you use it awhile. The devs are adding new effects all the time and I'm sure they'll have something to quench your thirst for unique and stunning effects. Were you aware that you can have fish swimming inside the cube on rotate with Compiz Fusion? Useless to be sure but quite weird and sure to elicit plenty of oohs and ahhs from your Windows using buddies. If nothing else, certainly more interesting than tidal waves. I can show you how to get ripples across your screen when your buddies log on and off Pidgin, if that will suffice in place of tidal waves.
molom

Post by molom »

I've learned in my opinion that compiz and beryl are just something we don't need and has no benefit. They are nice to have for a while, but after that it isn't that amazing unless you want to show off at a friend. If you like eyecandy so much you should try the Mint e17 edition, which will come out soon.

Have a HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

Cheers,
molom
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

The dependency problems are probably because I did not go to Trevino's. I did not put much effort into Beryl and instead concentrated my efforts on resolving Compiz-Fusion issues. Personally I think Beryl was more stable than Compiz-Fusion but Compiz-Fusion is what is being developed so it is best to get used to it.

I concentrated on working out the problems with ccsm. There were some user's that had a lot of problems with ccsm, including myself! I sorted it all out and my solution is somewhere on the forum.

Anyways since Compiz-Fusion is under development, I am sure there will be all kinds of cool effects available.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

Dang it! I was after those bonus points!

Post back and let us know how things work out.
cmost
Level 4
Level 4

Post by cmost »

If you use Fusion-icon you will have all the benefits of the old beryl icon in the system tray, including the ability to start and stop compiz-fusion (switch between metacity and compiz) and switch between window decorators (emerald vs. heliodore.) This applet is fantastic. If anyone needs assistance installing it, let me know. Finally, if you're using Daryna, I highly recommend you upgrade to Compiz-Fusion 0.6.x. This is more stable than the 0.5.x version that shipped with stock Gutsy/Daryna.
newW2
Level 5
Level 5

Post by newW2 »

Well I can't believe the requests are being posted. So-o-o-o-o-o let me invite you to post the instructions, or at least the where to find the applet etc.
How's the weather in Cincinnati? I have family in MI and they got hit with some good-old lake effects snow.
cmost
Level 4
Level 4

Post by cmost »

I will post full instructions on how to upgrade to the latest compiz-fusion and how to install the Fusion-icon applet when I get home from work today... :-)
cmost
Level 4
Level 4

Post by cmost »

As promised, here is how you can update Compiz-Fusion to the latest 0.6 build (or newer, if you choose to compile your own git source) and install Fusion-icon tray icon applet to manage Compiz-Fusion the same way you used to manage Beryl.

Warning! These instructions are for Linux Mint 4.0 (Daryna) with the Gnome desktop and are not supported on earlier versions (3.x) or Mint with the KDE desktop. I completed these steps several weeks ago and at that time, they worked for me. If you screw up your system using these instructions, I'll do my best to help you fix it but I take no responsibility. I strongly urge you to backup anything you might value. Ok, that nonsense out of the way...let's continue.

A. Upgrade Compiz-Fusion to 0.6.x release - two methods 1.) Use pre-built packages 2.) Build your own.

Before we begin, let's install Fusion-icon. This will allow you to disable Compiz and drop back to Metacity in order to safely perform the next steps. Fusion-icon is a nice little applet that sits in your system tray in the same manner as the old Beryl-manager icon. Fusion-icon allows you to choose window managers, window decorators, and provides full access to Compiz configuration (ccsm) options and easy access to Compiz/Emerald settings. You can complete only this step and enjoy Fusion-icon with your existing version of Compiz-Fusion if you like.

Follow these steps to install it:
1) Install git-core. In gnome-terminal type:
sudo apt-get install git-core

2) In your home directory, right-click to create a new folder 'Fusion-icon'. Double-click to enter that folder, then right-click to 'open in terminal'

3) Run the next command in the new gnome-terminal to get the code.
git-clone git://anongit.compiz-fusion.org/users/crdlb/fusion-icon

4) It should download the code into a directory. Cd into that directory.
cd fusion-icon

5) Let’s make and install.
sudo make && sudo make install

6) Type ALT+F2; then type into the dialog box
fusion-icon

You should now have a new icon in the system tray. Right-click the icon; select Window Manager --> Metacity to turn off Compiz if you already have it running.

Whew! Fun right?
Moving along...

1. Utilize a repository that contains the needed packages and do a simple apt-get update && apt-get upgrade
** Edit as suggested by husse ***

There is one very reliable repository that I know of (might be others.) If this repository appears to be unreachable, then wait a few days or proceed to the second option.

Open a gnome-terminal and type
sudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.list

Copy and paste the following into the end of the file; save it; close gedit.
## Compiz-Fusion
# Quattro's Ubuntu Gutsy EyeCandy Repository (GPG key: 641AC84F)
deb http://kwatrow.nl/repo Gutsy compiz-fusion-git

back in the gnome-terminal type
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
NOTE: If you don't already have Compiz-Fusion installed, or, if you want to choose the packages manually, then open Synaptic instead of typing the aforementioned two commands in the terminal; search on key words Compiz and tick the following for installation:
compiz-bcop
compizconfig-settings-manager
compiz-core
compiz-fusion-plugins-extra
compiz-fusion-plugins-main
compiz-fusion-plugins-unsupported
compiz-plugins
emerald
libcompizconfig0
libcompizconfig-backend-gconf
libdecoration0
python-compizconfig
AND ANY DEPENDENCIES ANY OF THESE REQUIRE!

Hit apply

Your compiz should now be upgraded to the 0.6.x version. Right-click Fusion-icon; choose window manager --> Compiz to activate. If you have an nvidia card, also choose 'Indirect Rendering' and 'Loose Binding' under Compiz options. This causes a significant improvement in the performance of Compiz-Fusion on nvidia cards! If you have problems, retrace your steps or try rebooting your computer. If that didn't work. Post here with details about what happened. Worse case, we can always downgrade back.

Okay, still with me? For the more adventuresome types, this is the recommend method of getting the latest Compiz-Fusion...

2. Utilize a handy build-script to compile the latest stable Compiz-Fusion from the git tree

Simply jump to this page and follow the handy instructions listed in step-by-step format. This guy did a great job explaining what to do and he even posted a video to help you along! I take no credit for this at all.

http://compizfusionrevolution.wordpress ... on-script/

Enjoy!
Last edited by cmost on Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JohnH
Level 4
Level 4

Post by JohnH »

Cmost,

Thank you for these instructions. All went well for me. Perhaps your instructions should be posted as a How To.

Regards
John
bettik
Level 1
Level 1

Post by bettik »

cmost wrote:
6) Type ALT+F2; then type into the dialog box
fusion-icon

You should now have a new icon in the system tray. Right-click the icon; select Window Manager --> Metacity to turn off Compiz if you already have it running.

Whew! Fun right?
Moving along...
cmost, I tried your instructions here. Everything went well up to #6. When I ALT+F2 and run fusion-icon I do not get an icon in the system tray. I do however get an icon in the System Tools application folder in the Mint Menu which does nothing when I try to run it. Any ideas? I'm quite new to all this. thanks.
cmost
Level 4
Level 4

Post by cmost »

Hmmm. Open a gnome-terminal and type:
fusion-icon

Then post the output. Perhaps something went awry during your installation. Also, I should have mentioned in my original instructions that if you install Compiz-Fusion by compiling your own using the makefusion scripts, you'll get Fusion-icon that way. Installing it first, then using makefusion will be redundant as far as installing fusion-icon.
bettik
Level 1
Level 1

Post by bettik »

Well I'll try to recreate what happened since my post ( it was the middle of the night :shock: ):

Apparently I needed to reboot. After the reboot the icon was in the system tray so I followed the rest of your directions. After that I reboot again. Now Mint will only load in low graphics mode. Apparently the video driver got trashed somehow. So after a few frustrating tries I manage to get the NVIDIA drivers (EVGA 512MB Geforce 8800GT) re-installed and I'm pretty much back to square one...no icon and compizconfig settings manager at ver 0.5.2

Now if I follow your suggestion in your last post, I get the system tray icon and the following output in the gnome terminal window:

jim@jim-desktop:~$ fusion-icon
* Detected Session: gnome
* Searching for installed applications...
* NVIDIA on Xorg detected, exporting: __GL_YIELD=NOTHING
* Using the GTK Interface
* Starting Compiz
... executing: compiz.real --replace --sm-disable --ignore-desktop-hints ccp --loose-binding --indirect-rendering
GConf backend: There is an unsupported value at path /apps/compiz/general/allscreens/options/texture_filter. Settings from this path won't be read. Try to remove that value so that operation can continue properly.
GConf backend: There is an unsupported value at path /apps/compiz/general/allscreens/options/texture_filter. Settings from this path won't be read. Try to remove that value so that operation can continue properly.
compiz.real (video) - Warn: No 8 bit GLX pixmap format, disabling YV12 image format
* Launching Settings Manager
Info: No sexy-python package found, don't worry it's optional.
* Setting window manager to Metacity
* Launching Settings Manager
Info: No sexy-python package found, don't worry it's optional.

At this point I reboot and...the Icon is gone again! I was pretty careful to follow your howto exactly so I don;t think I did anything wrong...ha famous last words ;-). Any way, no big deal. I'm only doing this for the fun and experience. I have had linux Mint installed for only 3 days ( my first linux encounter) and its not my production environment-at least not yet. I'm pretty impressed so far.

Any ideas?
Husse

Post by Husse »

I just found this topic as it is referred to in another post.
You find
and do a simple apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade
NO NO NO!!
apt-get dist-upgrade is something you should NEVER EVER do!
This breaks Mint and you end up with some mix of Ubuntu and Mint that can not be guaranteed to be stable!
apt-get upgrade is another story and I think that's what is meant
This is so bad that I'll edit the post
cmost
Level 4
Level 4

Post by cmost »

@Husse
I'm sorry for using the apt-get dist-upgrade in my instructions and I understand your editing my tutorial accordingly. Using dist-upgrade is not necessary to upgrade Compiz-Fusion and simply using 'upgrade' instead will allow users to complete my tutorial successfully. I agree with you that newbies should generally refrain from using the dist-upgrade option. On the other hand, I've been using dist-upgrade on a weekly basis with every version of Linux Mint since Bea; without any issues whatsoever (and I have a significant number of third party Ubuntu repositories enabled.) I think your warning is more applicable to to distributions based on pure Debian (especially those derived from the Debian Testing tree.) Since Ubuntu takes a snapshot of Debian at a particular point, freezes it; then works from that to create Ubuntu, the danger of wrecking the system is much less. Ubuntu (and Mint) repositories are rarely if ever updated with new versions of packages and only bug fixes are introduced. In order to upgrade to newer versions of packages, one must typically upgrade / install the next version. Therefore, the dist-upgrade command is far less dangerous as far as introducing unstable packages (it can still upgrade the kernel, which can wreak havoc with modules - this is what Mintupdate is for!!) With pure Debian, a so called "rolling" distribution, packages are rapidly being updated in the Experimental and Testing repositories, the risk of rendering the system broken or unusable by an uninformed 'dist-upgrade' is very real indeed!! You're right - using dist-upgrade in this scenario is extremely dangerous!! In the case of Mint (and Ubuntu,) however, the risk isn't so great. Nevertheless, I will not instruct users to utilize dist-upgrade in future tutorials or instructions that involve adding new packages. :-) So sorry if I stepped on anyone's toes.
Husse

Post by Husse »

@ cmost
:lol:
Nope - you did not step on my toes
And you are right, but I don't know if a dist-upgrade will change files used specifically by Mint with new ones that won't work and/or break dependencies.
Especially when people did dist-upgrade from Bianca to Feisty (that is in Bianca's update manager clicked to upgrade to 7.04) there were lots of reports in the forum with people getting in trouble
And if you look at Daryna you will find that it does not have the same printing system as Gutsy, Clem decided to keep the one in Celena (the same as in Feisty)
So dist-upgrading to Hardy might cause trouble - or not
Also Daryna is based on Celena which is based on Cassandra which is based on Bianca which is base on Bea which is based on Barbara which was forked off Edgy so Mint is evolving differently and thus it's increasingly using different files and settings than Ubuntu
Long explanation :)
Edit by husse a few hours later after some explanations from Clem//
dist-upgrade is a potentially bad thing (note potentially) but can be useful in some circumstances for Mint, but don't do it unless told so
zippytex

How do I get rid of fish floating across screen!

Post by zippytex »

What do I do to get rid of the fish? I didn't ask for it and don't want it. Please help :shock:

Return to “Beginner Questions”