[SOLVED] Help! Can't get the LiveCD into X!?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
chowanec
Level 3
Level 3

[SOLVED] Help! Can't get the LiveCD into X!?

Post by chowanec »

Hi there,

Have Mint running on a desktop PC and I absolutely LOVE it. I don't want to use another distro... ever. :P However, I'm relatively (passive aggressive for: "very") new to linux and ran into a dilemma on a new (passive aggressive for: "untested hardware") media PC.

It's running the VIA video chipset (CX700M) and when I try to use the liveCD it won't actually boot into graphical mode. X fails to start 6 times in 90 seconds. Tells me to wait two minutes and then does it again... and fails again.

I've tried booting into safe graphics mode (via the install menu) and that doesn't work either.

BUT...

I CAN install the alternate version of Ubuntu 7.1 and then install the proper VIA drivers for the graphics card to get things running. In fact, I'm sending this email from the Ubuntu distro install on the very PC I want to get Mint on.

My questions:
1. Is there an alternate install iso for Mint? So I can install from a text menu? I couldn't find one.
2. Is there a way to install Mint from a running version of Ubuntu? It'd have to live on the same drive as the currently running distro.
3. Is there ANYTHING else I can do with the liveCD I have to install in text mode? I noticed a option "xforcevesa" in the safe graphics boot options... is there a way to tell this to run in text mode?

Any help would be appreciated. I adore Mint. I don't want to use Ubuntu, if I don't have to (passive aggressive for: "DEAR JESUS, PLEASE HELP ME!")

Thanks.

-Chow
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: Help! Can't get the LiveCD into X!?

Post by Husse »

There is no alternate install for Mint - our resources are not sufficient to make one
This seems to be a problematic chip, I've only seen really long and complicated solutions without much success
I have one option though
Add
BOOT_DEBUG=3
to the options and start in "Safe graphics mode"
(don't remember for sure if you can do that...)
You could also try to install from a USB stick but I really doubt it would make any difference
chowanec
Level 3
Level 3

Post by chowanec »

I'll give that a shot. I have Ubuntu 7.1 working still, albeit in a fragile state. I'm SO pissed too -- this motherboard is PERFECT for media applications (has component out and composite RCA cable out for Audio... perfect for plugging into a stereo...) I just wish the damned drivers weren't so fragile.

That said -- if what you suggest doesn't work, I am going to:

-Install Mint on the HDD from another PC
-Install HDD back into my mini-itx PC
-Boot to command prompt
-Install openchrome drivers for the mini-itx PC
-Pray
-Forsake that religion.
-Pray again.
-et. al.

Think I have a shot in hell, or should I just live with a different distro?

-Chow
Husse

Post by Husse »

That's a fast reply :) We're booth on line it seems...
Yeh - it could work.
Unfortunately the openchrome and unichrome drivers seems not to be what you wish to use
chowanec
Level 3
Level 3

Post by chowanec »

I think it is all I *can* use if I want to ever watch Video...? I guess I could stick with VESA, which is weird, because isn't that what safegraphics use to boot into in the first place?

Is Mint 4.0 based on Ubuntu 7.1 or something earlier?
Husse

Post by Husse »

Way back Barbara was forked from Ubuntu and all releases are based on our earlier releases. With each Ubuntu release we incorporate what we find useful in the new Ubuntu release and throw out thing we don't want.
We're still close to Ubuntu so you could say "based on" Gutsy, but it is wrong - similar to is correct
And yes Vesa = Safe graphics
When my cold gets a little better and I think better I might look into this again
chowanec
Level 3
Level 3

Post by chowanec »

Thanks much -- if you need a guinea pig to get the VIA stuff working, I'm your man. I LOVE Mint far more than any other distro. Just want to get it running. ;)

-Chow
chowanec
Level 3
Level 3

Post by chowanec »

DId the BOOT_DEBUG=3 thing and removed the splash and quiet flags so I could see more error messages... here's the only thing I think might be amiss:

* Starting kernel log daemon...
Wrong chipset detected. 915 resolution only works with Intel 800/900 series graphic chipsets.

From there, it gets as far as:

* Running local boot scripts (/etc/rc.local)

And then it flickers 6 or so times to get a blue and gray screen (like an alternate install menu) that says:

The display server has been shut down about 6 times in the last 90 seconds. It is likely that something bad is going on. Waiting for 2 minutes before trying again on display :0.

From here, the infinite loop starts and never stops.

Going to try installing it from another PC on this hdd and then swapping it back in... wish me luck.
Husse

Post by Husse »

915 resolution only works etc
that's nothing to worry about - it should be there
The i810 drivers and 915 resolution are installed by default and this is a message we all get if we don't have Intel (915 resolution is a bit special)
There are people that can get Mint running on this chipset (or so I think)
chowanec
Level 3
Level 3

Post by chowanec »

I've currently got it "working" -- only in so much as I can finally get it to boot into Mint. Thing is, it ONLY boots into safe graphics mode... :(

Trying to run with OpenChrome now... this might be a lost cause. :P Does anyone have the binaries for the OpenChrome Experimental? I can't get it to compile. :(

-Chow
newW2
Level 5
Level 5

Post by newW2 »

You've probably been all over this, but you mentioned instability. Did you disable 3D graphics as suggested as the instability fix (here)?
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php? ... ght=CX700M
Page 11 (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php? ... 0M&page=15) mentions the binaries.
chowanec
Level 3
Level 3

Post by chowanec »

Wow, I feel like a MORON! I never ran that script before -- it certainly solved my problems. Only needed 1 tweak to xorg.conf.

Just to let you all know what I went through:

1. Since the liveCD wouldn't work with the hardware I bought for some reason, I installed it on a different PC.
2. Transferred the HDD with the Mint install BACK to my Mini-ITX system.
3. Ran to command line
4. Edited the xorg to run under Vesa
5. Spent 3 days being a moron and not googling the right terms to find my solution
6. Read the above post.
7. Installed the openchrome.sh script (see above link)
8. Added Option "VBEModes" "true" to my xorg.conf
9. I found happiness, peace and joy.

Thank you all for your help. I swear to you that community support in cases like these is SO much more incredible than anything you could pay for.

Much appreciated.

EDIT: [SOLVED] Added to title. :)
newW2
Level 5
Level 5

Re: [SOLVED] Help! Can't get the LiveCD into X!?

Post by newW2 »

Yes this is a great forum and a great distribution. I am happy that this issue was solved by you, and you are enjoying mint. You are now a resource for this hardware. And don't forget your role in this by knowing about and mentioning OpenChrome. You had the hammer; you just need someone to tell you just where to hit valve to start the pump. :) :) :) :)

Return to “Beginner Questions”