I've really tried, but...network woes...we're gettin' there!

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
kf4krv

I've really tried, but...network woes...we're gettin' there!

Post by kf4krv »

I'm really sorry to bug folks with this inquiry as I've seen similar questions asked and I've viewed several webpages pertaining to the questions. I'm a rank newbie to Linux but I guess I have a learning disability or something, too. Also, the questions are not all specifically Linux Mint related. I sincerely apologize for using the bandwidth.

My situation is an apparent simple one to folks that know what they're doing. I'm attempting to network a Windows XP Pro computer (and printer) with a Linux Mint computer.

I have managed to get a wireless connection between the Mint computer and the router established so that the Mint computer can access the internet. I have also managed to get the XP computer where it can see files on the Mint computer.

What I haven't been able to do, though, is configure the Mint computer to where it is able to see shared files/directories on the XP computer. I also have not been able to get the Mint computer to see the printer connected to the XP computer.

I've read several pages and threads but from one to the other it seems they may contradict each other or either they're recommending different techniques. I've read to use samba and not to use samba (stated as too complicated). I've read to use something that I recall was called SSH. I've read that I had to install samba, but then I've read (I think) that parts of samba is included in the Mint distro. <sigh>

Bottom line is that I am about as confused as I can get and not sure in which direction to go. I guess I've got a mental block or something here or maybe just suffering from TMI. I would certainly appreciate it if someone could direct me to a good, current source of information for getting the network going. I hate to say that this might be over my head as I'm a general class amateur radio operator...licensed at 13wpm, build little rigs that put out a watt or two and that talk around the world, etc.,...even brought the "internet" into the county via satellite downlink back in the early 90's (no I didn't invent the internet, that was Al ). I didn't mention it, but the Mint computer is for my modest ham shack.

So, if someone could help me clear the smoke and get on the right track I would *really* appreciate it!

Again, I apologize for asking something that has previously been asked but I've hit a wall. :(

Thanks,
Ed
KF4KRV
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
kf4krv

Re: I've really tried, but...network woes.

Post by kf4krv »

kirsch92 wrote:Have you set up the printer to be shared in XP?
Thanks for the response, but yes, I do have sharing enabled for the printer.

Ed
KF4KRV
chattr

Post by chattr »

kf4krv wrote:
kirsch92 wrote:Have you set up the printer to be shared in XP?
Thanks for the response, but yes, I do have sharing enabled for the printer.

Ed
KF4KRV
When you open firefox and type in the address bar

Code: Select all

http://localhost:631/
Does the cups page display?

If yes, click on 'administration', and make sure 'Show printers shared by other systems' is checked.

If you need to check the 'Show printers shared by other systems' radio box, click on 'Change settings'.

Click on 'Find new printers', and let us know if your Windows printer shows up.

cupsd is the printer daemon, and you should have an error log in /var/log/cups/, so while you're doing all this, you might want to do in a terminal

Code: Select all

sudo tail -f /var/log/cups/error_log
which will follow the error_log file and display any new entries written to the file. The new entries might help you trouble shoot problems.
kf4krv

Post by kf4krv »

Howdy chattr. Yes, the cups page comes up when I enter http://localhost:631/ in the address bar of the browser. The "show printers..." radio button is checked but when I hit "find new printers" the printer does not appear. I made sure the Win XP firewall was turned off. Here is a copy of the error log I received when I entered the "sudo tail -f /var/log/cups/error_log" command, it's all foreign to me:

kf4krv@kf4krv ~ $ sudo tail -f /var/log/cups/error_log
sudo: unable to resolve host kf4krv
[sudo] password for kf4krv:
E [12/Aug/2008:22:23:20 -0500] [Job 18] Unable to connect to CIFS host, will retry in 60 seconds...
E [12/Aug/2008:22:25:15 -0500] [Job 18] Unable to connect to CIFS host, will retry in 60 seconds...
E [12/Aug/2008:22:26:15 -0500] [Job 18] Unable to connect to CIFS host after (tried 3 times)
E [12/Aug/2008:22:26:15 -0500] PID 6501 (/usr/lib/cups/backend/smb) stopped with status 1!
E [12/Aug/2008:22:32:10 -0500] [Job 18] Unable to connect to CIFS host, will retry in 60 seconds...
E [12/Aug/2008:22:34:03 -0500] [Job 18] Unable to connect to CIFS host, will retry in 60 seconds...
E [12/Aug/2008:22:35:57 -0500] [Job 18] Unable to connect to CIFS host, will retry in 60 seconds...
E [12/Aug/2008:22:36:57 -0500] [Job 18] Unable to connect to CIFS host after (tried 3 times)
E [12/Aug/2008:22:36:57 -0500] PID 6539 (/usr/lib/cups/backend/smb) stopped with status 1!
E [12/Aug/2008:22:36:57 -0500] [Job 18] Canceling job since it could not be sent after 5 tries.

Thanks for your help!
Ed
KF4KRV
chattr

Post by chattr »

kf4krv wrote:Howdy chattr. Yes, the cups page comes up when I enter http://localhost:631/ in the address bar of the browser. The "show printers..." radio button is checked but when I hit "find new printers" the printer does not appear. I made sure the Win XP firewall was turned off. Here is a copy of the error log I received when I entered the "sudo tail -f /var/log/cups/error_log" command, it's all foreign to me:

kf4krv@kf4krv ~ $ sudo tail -f /var/log/cups/error_log
sudo: unable to resolve host kf4krv
[sudo] password for kf4krv:

[snip]

E [12/Aug/2008:22:36:57 -0500] [Job 18] Unable to connect to CIFS host after (tried 3 times)
E [12/Aug/2008:22:36:57 -0500] PID 6539 (/usr/lib/cups/backend/smb) stopped with status 1!
E [12/Aug/2008:22:36:57 -0500] [Job 18] Canceling job since it could not be sent after 5 tries.

Thanks for your help!
Ed
KF4KRV
Do the following while having a terminal open and running ' sudo tail -f /var/log/cups/error_log '.

When you load the http://localhost:631 page, go to 'Printers' and give the Windows XP pronter a descriptive name, location and description and click on 'Continue'.

Where the drop down Device selection appears, select 'Windows Printer via SAMBA'. Click on Continue.

The next page asks you for the address in smb:// form.

Make the address smb://[ip_address_for_the_WindowsXP_computer]/[printer_name_in_Windows] and click Continue.

Select the make of the printer and click Continue.

Configure the printer. You might have to only change the page size. Click on 'Set Printer Options'.

The printer now is configured. Try and print a test page.

If it works, let us know. If it doesn't, paste in here the output of ' sudo tail -f /var/log/cups/error_log '.
kf4krv

Post by kf4krv »

You're a genius chattr !!!!!!! It's working!!!!!! :D My wife was in the kitchen when I tested the printer (other end of house)...kind of spooked her. :lol: I really appreciate your help on this as I had not *even* come close to this solution!

I do not want to wear my welcome out, but have you got some pointers or suggestions on how I can connect to the file system on the XP machine? Once I get that squared away I'll be in business! :)

Thanks for your help!!!
Ed
KF4KRV
chattr wrote: Do the following while having a terminal open and running ' sudo tail -f /var/log/cups/error_log '.

When you load the http://localhost:631 page, go to 'Printers' and give the Windows XP pronter a descriptive name, location and description and click on 'Continue'.

Where the drop down Device selection appears, select 'Windows Printer via SAMBA'. Click on Continue.

The next page asks you for the address in smb:// form.

Make the address smb://[ip_address_for_the_WindowsXP_computer]/[printer_name_in_Windows] and click Continue.

Select the make of the printer and click Continue.

Configure the printer. You might have to only change the page size. Click on 'Set Printer Options'.

The printer now is configured. Try and print a test page.

If it works, let us know. If it doesn't, paste in here the output of ' sudo tail -f /var/log/cups/error_log '.
chattr

Post by chattr »

kf4krv wrote:I do not want to wear my welcome out, but have you got some pointers or suggestions on how I can connect to the file system on the XP machine? Once I get that squared away I'll be in business! :)

Thanks for your help!!!
Ed
KF4KRV
There are a number of ways to accomplish that.

Take a look at The Ubuntu wiki entry MountWindowsSharesPermanently https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MountWindowsSharesPermanently. If that isn't clear or you have questions, it'd be best to start a new thread.

Return to “Beginner Questions”