What happens when Mint 6 comes out?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
morty007

What happens when Mint 6 comes out?

Post by morty007 »

I mean, I know it says to do a fresh install, so how do you go from 5 to 6? Do you reformat your disk or what? How do you keep your settings?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: What happens when Mint 6 comes out?

Post by Husse »

With Felicia there will come an upgrade tool - you find a package in the software portal "Upgrade to Felicia"
morty007

Post by morty007 »

I thought upgrades were not recommended though.
MagnusB
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MagnusB »

I will still do a fresh install. I don't recommend using the upgrade tool in Ubuntu either, I find to unstable...
You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on.
--Dean Martin
morty007

Post by morty007 »

Ok, so when 6 comes out.....what exactly do you do? Do you back up your data and then install over what you have?
MagnusB
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MagnusB »

I'll clean out my Home partition, and reinstall again, yes :)
--Dean Martin
paul_sc1

Post by paul_sc1 »

Hello, I am new to ubuntu based distros (as in this week) but have been using linux and linux desktops for a few years. I am not clear how updating ubuntu/mint to next version works.

I have set up Mint 5 with a root /, swap and /home partitions. I have done quite a bit of customization to how I like the menu's, task bar and application prefs...well enough that I don't want to do it all again :)

Does this mean that I will need to do this all this customizing again on the next revision...like a clean install situation....

or

Can I just format my root and allow my /home to remain and be taken over by the new version with my customizations in tact?

I understand I will need to install whatever programs, but in the past, they have just used my existing directories from previous installs.

If so, what are the markers for the new clean installs...not inter number revisions, right?

Thanks
paul_sc1

Post by paul_sc1 »

Thanks for the info. That is good to hear. I was concerned an upgrade might not work...or...I would have to wipe out my home directory.
T J Tulley
Level 5
Level 5

Post by T J Tulley »

This seems a bit early!

I understood that we could expect Elyssa to be the basic version for 2 years, kept up to date by Mint Update?
Yours hopefully -

Theo Tulley.
Using a PC with 2GB RAM, 3 hdds and a 1.7 GHz Celeron cpu.
AK Dave

Post by AK Dave »

erginemr wrote:If you opt for a clean install however, you will need to take note of the custom applicaitons you have installed and reinstall them under Mint 6 (a.k.a. Felicia). You will still find your settings (which are kept in your home folder) preserved.
You can use Synaptic or aptitude to take a snapshot of your package installs, save the snapshot, and then use it to script a reinstall on a new machine.

NSFW: the inevitable jokes about taking snapshots of your package.
AK Dave

Post by AK Dave »

T J Tulley wrote:I understood that we could expect Elyssa to be the basic version for 2 years, kept up to date by Mint Update?
You can. Mint5 (Elyssa) is a LTS release, parallel with Ubuntu Hardy LTS. LTS means it will be supported for 2 years, but that does NOT mean that every package, application, and upgrade will automatically and instantly be backported to this version. It just means that Mint5 will be supported for that long. Following the example of other "LTS-type" linux releases (Red Hat and CentOS, for examples) this likely means that a feature set will be frozen at some time and only essential upgrades backported. Hardware support should be backported to keep this edition stable and usable for the entire period of support, but new features and package updates may not necessarily make it.

But in this period of time we'll see Mint6, Mint7, Mint8, and maybe Mint9. We'll see KDE4 evolve. We'll see Gnome 3 released and evolve. Mint5 is based on Gnome 2.2x. I would expect that it continues to be based on this version of Gnome throughout its supported life, as we probably won't be seeing Gnome 3.0 for another 18 months. Even if it rolls out earlier and is available as a Hardy backport through Ubuntu channels I still don't expect it to be part of the supported core of Elyssa (Mint5). When FF 4.0 comes out, Mint5 will still be using FF3.x.
morty007

Post by morty007 »

Well, after spending days reviewing on how to make your own paritition for your home folder I can honestly say that it's too much for me. When Mint 6 comes out I will just backup everything and then reinstall I guess. :(
67GTA
Level 6
Level 6

Post by 67GTA »

Clem has talked about making a "backport" repo to keep the LTS up to date with the next few releases. I don't know which apps will be updated. In theory, you will be able to stay with the LTS and hopefully keep the important apps updated to the newest versions that are in the newest releases without having to dist-upgrade. There aren't any apps in it yet, but once Mint 6 goes final and all goes as planned, it should start filling up.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
BakUp
Level 3
Level 3

Post by BakUp »

morty007 wrote:Well, after spending days reviewing on how to make your own paritition for your home folder I can honestly say that it's too much for me. When Mint 6 comes out I will just backup everything and then reinstall I guess. :(
Very smart decision, there are disadvantages of having a Home partition, one finds out as time passes. I used to have a home partition but have went back to the conventional install. I backup my Firefox and Thunderbird defaults, maybe a few other settings and then use them in a fresh install, and of course there are tricks to doing that also.

Home Partition vs No Home Partition, there is no right or wrong way, it is whatever each user is comfortable with.
My Linux Distros:
sidux - Parsix - DreamLinux - Mint
MagnusB
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MagnusB »

I have made a bash script that backups most of my data, it's real simple just using cp -R or rsync..
--Dean Martin
msuggs

Post by msuggs »

Yes, please expand on that concept.
lakehousetech
Level 4
Level 4

Post by lakehousetech »

I'm interested to see the aesthetic changes as well as the differences with a new kernel and applications, but will probably keep using Elyssa for some time.
BakUp
Level 3
Level 3

Post by BakUp »

kirsch92 wrote:
BakUp wrote:
Very smart decision, there are disadvantages of having a Home partition, one finds out as time passes.
What are the disadvantages of a seperate Home partition? I thought this was advised.

This thread has become OFF-TOPIC, I have opened a new thread here:
http://linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=15250
There one can view my comments, search results, and discuss this further if anyone wishes to.

thanks,
BakUp
My Linux Distros:
sidux - Parsix - DreamLinux - Mint
nelamvr6
Level 4
Level 4

Post by nelamvr6 »

BakUp wrote:
morty007 wrote:Well, after spending days reviewing on how to make your own paritition for your home folder I can honestly say that it's too much for me. When Mint 6 comes out I will just backup everything and then reinstall I guess. :(
Very smart decision, there are disadvantages of having a Home partition, one finds out as time passes. I used to have a home partition but have went back to the conventional install. I backup my Firefox and Thunderbird defaults, maybe a few other settings and then use them in a fresh install, and of course there are tricks to doing that also.

Home Partition vs No Home Partition, there is no right or wrong way, it is whatever each user is comfortable with.

What exactly are the disadvantages?
Husse

Post by Husse »

See the other topic

Return to “Beginner Questions”