menu not working right

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.

Re: menu not working right

Post by Guest »

It appears as though this problem is not very common, though mentioned in the review quoted in Clem's blog. I wonder if it is related to the security patch. I installed Mint 5 about 1 day after it was released, then a couple of days later added the security patch.

Holland
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
rockito2

Post by rockito2 »

I had much problems, too, with the mint menu and the starting of the applications. I thought about changing the distro, but now I solved the problems.

1. The entries in /etc/hosts, /etc/hostnames and /etc/network/interfaces were wrong (but I think this was caused by the configuration of the network after installing wi-cd instead of the new buggy version of the gnome-network-manager) - I don't know if this fits to your problem. After that I was able to start all applications.

2. The "slow exit-button" was faster after activating the power manager manually (because it didn't start right) - I think it has something to do with it. But deactivitating the services 'acpid' and 'apmd' didn't help. But I found a work-around, what worked well. Just don't know how it's called in English. In the system administration there is "Sitzungseinstellungen" (in German, is it "session settings" in English?). If you mark to remember the settings of the last session, there will be no problem anymore (i hope so).
Because I like this setting anyway, it's more than a work-around for me. But it's strange that there's a problem without this setting.
badmotor

Post by badmotor »

The menu behaved like this when Mint was released, and then an update came and all was fixed. I did some updates in the last day or so, and now it is broken again :( Surely that is not really an 'update'

... more of a 'downdate'
badmotor

Post by badmotor »

.. and when you open an application in the menu, the menu doesn't automatically close, it stays open and the application opens behind it. you have to click inside the screen to get rid of it. Not very user-friendly. Anyone know a way to fix this??????
toblakai

Post by toblakai »

Ah, I got the exact same problems as badmotor. The menu don't close after a button is pressed, and applications I try to start won't start until the menu has closed. So for each application (or shutdown) I have to click outside the menu first so that it closes, then whatever menu option I clicked on will start.

Extremely annoying. It just started recently... yesterday or the day before. I thought it was just me cuz I suddenly got no space left on disk at that time, which causes all sorts of problems :) But I probably did some updates too, and since other ppl have the same problem, it is maybe some recent bug in mintMenu? Seems to be a small synchronization issue, should be easy to fix.
BakUp
Level 3
Level 3

Post by BakUp »

Good, I found the correct place for my problem. I first was going to make a post in the sticky Linux Mint 5 Elyssa officially released but after reading the 13 pages I did not see one post about this MintMenu issue.

My MintMenu issues are somewhat similar to the ones posted here.

About half of the apts in the MintMenu will not launch, and the Quit option does nothing what so ever. I have Mint 5.0 installed on two totally different computers and both of them do this exact same thing. I believed it could have started after doing my first Synaptic update, but I can not be positive about that because the first thing I do after an installation is do an update.

I just recently tried uninstalling and then reinstalling MintMenu 4.0 in Synaptic but that did not change a thing.

Seeing that no one important has visited this thread yet (sorry guys, I mean like Husse or Clem), maybe going back to Mint 4.0 is the best solution. It is certainly beginning to sound like a bug. I'll keep watching this post for a while yet though.......

cheers,
BakUp
My Linux Distros:
sidux - Parsix - DreamLinux - Mint
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

Hi,

I'm aware of some of these problems and thanks for describing the other ones. However I believe this has to do with the some of the gnome python bindings we're using in mintMenu and so if you update gnome packages, they probably affect how mintMenu works. I'll look into this but I can't promise anything, these problems look quite complex and are even hard to reproduce for me.

Also, I would suggest to stop taking updates you don't need, especially through synaptic. It's a known fact that updates bring bugs and regressions and you should be selective and know what it is you want a particular update to fix. What you're doing here is called an "uneducated update" and it's quite dangerous for the stability of your system.

Clem.
msuggs

Post by msuggs »

clem wrote: Also, I would suggest to stop taking updates you don't need, especially through synaptic. It's a known fact that updates bring bugs and regressions and you should be selective and know what it is you want a particular update to fix. What you're doing here is called an "uneducated update" and it's quite dangerous for the stability of your system.
This same point was discussed at length in irc today. I hope more people read this post :)
BakUp
Level 3
Level 3

Post by BakUp »

clem wrote: Also, I would suggest to stop taking updates you don't need, especially through synaptic..
I can see where this would be beneficial and a good rule to follow, I hope I have learned something here......Thanks for your interest and comments Clem.

BakUp
msuggs

Post by msuggs »

After a week or so of playing with Mint this menu bug appeared out of the blue. I hadn't installed anything that might have caused it on that particular day. However, I did on the first day I installed Mint use synaptic to do a system upgrade. This was before learning about mintUpdate, the levelled updates system and their purpose. As I don't have much installed outside the default I decided to do a clean install and see if that would fix the problem.

I kept my home directory intact for the install and after installing and updating via mint update the menu bug still remained. I then renamed the ~/.gconf/apps/mintMenu folder to mintMenubak, logged out and in to let the mintMenu folder regenerate itself and the menu was back to its normal functions :)

I can only assume that the %gconf.xml file became corrupted at some stage during my week of learning the ins and outs of a new distro. Whether this would have solved the problem before reinstall I'll never know but it may help some people who are having problems and don't want to go to the drastic step of a reinstall :)

-omns
BakUp
Level 3
Level 3

Post by BakUp »

Sunny Rabbiera wrote:The Mint menu has never been all that great in my opinion, great feature yes but I always prefer to use the standard menu bar.
How does one change to the standard menu ?
My Linux Distros:
BakUp
Level 3
Level 3

Post by BakUp »

omns wrote: I then renamed the ~/.gconf/apps/mintMenu folder to mintMenubak, logged out and in to let the mintMenu folder regenerate itself and the menu was back to its normal functions :)-omns
Bummer, this did not work for me........
My Linux Distros:
msuggs

Post by msuggs »

BakUp wrote: How does one change to the standard menu ?
Right Click 0n menu --> Edit Menus
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

To get the standard Gnome menu just right click on your panel, select "New Panel" from the list and position it at the top of your screen, right click on your newly created panel and select "Add To Panel", select "Main Menu" from the list.

You can rearrange the items on your panels to your taste by adding and removing items.
BakUp
Level 3
Level 3

Post by BakUp »

I am assuming Clem that you are still following this post.....I just completed formatting my Mint partition to ext3, and did a fresh install on one of my desktops without doing any Synaptic updates. But it did not change anything, my MintMenu Quit option is still broken.

I did a fresh install on just one of my desktop PC's, I do not see any purpose doing a fresh install on my other desktop PC. I hope this helps.

BakUp
My Linux Distros:
msuggs

Post by msuggs »

BakUp wrote:I am assuming Clem that you are still following this post.....I just completed formatting my Mint partition to ext3, and did a fresh install on one of my desktops without doing any Synaptic updates. But it did not change anything, my MintMenu Quit option is still broken.

I did a fresh install on just one of my desktop PC's, I do not see any purpose doing a fresh install on my other desktop PC. I hope this helps.

BakUp
I had this same problem because I kept my /home partition intact during the fresh install and had to delete the mintMenu configs as described in an earlier post to fix it.

Return to “Software & Applications”