What is your preferred Desktop Environment or WM (Poll)

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.

What is your favourite Desktop Environment or Window Manager

KDE
38%
Gnome
35%
XFCE
5%
Box Window Manager (Fluxbox, Openbox, Blackbox)
10%
Enlightenment 16
No votes
Enlightenment 17
6%
ROX
No votes
CDE
No votes
Nextstep GUI
No votes
Other
6%

Total votes: 223

molom

What is your preferred Desktop Environment or WM (Poll)

Post by molom »

What is your preferred Desktop Environment or Window Manager? And Why?

I personally prefer E17 because of its speed, functionality and eye candy. If I had to choose more I would pick XFCE and then Gnome.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
67GTA
Level 6
Level 6

Re: What is your preferred Desktop Environment or Window Manager

Post by 67GTA »

KDE baby! I'm a tweak/power freak. I also like the KDE apps better than Gnome. E17 is beautiful, but I get lost easy since I'm used to the KDE interface.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
molom

Re: What is your preferred Desktop Environment or Window Manager

Post by molom »

67GTA wrote:KDE baby! I'm a tweak/power freak. I also like the KDE apps better than Gnome. E17 is beautiful, but I get lost easy since I'm used to the KDE interface.
I do wish some apps for KDE were ported for GTK and others. Anybody can admit that K3B is one of the most fully featured Burner programs in the linux world, which is open source. I know what you mean about getting lost, I had the same problem from the start, but since its still in heavy development I guess anyone can admit its a well developed environment. I tend to stuff up KDE when I want to customize it. Probably KDE4 will tempt me to use KDE more, since I heard its going to be faster than KDE 3.
atlef
Level 4
Level 4

Re: What is your preferred Desktop Environment or WM (Poll)

Post by atlef »

I voted Gnome.

First time I used any Unix distro, KDE was tha bomb, and I felt lost using Gnome. That all changed when I tried Ubuntu 5.04. So now it is only Gnome for me.

atlef.
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MALsPa »

I use KDE, GNOME, Fluxbox, Openbox, and Xfce, and I like them all very much.

But I voted for KDE.

For one thing, when I configure things, KDE seems the most stable and lets me do the most things.

Second, I like certain KDE apps no matter which DE or WM I'm using. But, for example, when using a KDE distro, I don't find myself looking for any GNOME apps.
molom

Post by molom »

The only confusing program that I had when I started off with KDE was Konqourer, it was so confusing in my opinion (especially for Windows Users), but I haven't tried Dolphin yet.
NoClue!
Level 3
Level 3

Post by NoClue! »

Choose or die? I'll take Gnome but all of them can be fun with something to offer.
molom

Post by molom »

Kynan wrote:Yea gnome for me 2. KDE is just too full on with options that most of the time you dont need em. Gnome hides them away for a nice clean looking environment. And kde apps have the kde theme about them and i personally hate the look but i gotta admit i use K3B as my burner app just love it.
(and whats with the prefix K infront of all the applications?)

Tho enlightenment 17 looks great when properly configured. Eg Elive. I installed enlightenment on mint and used it but was not at all impressed.
maybe when the mint team gets the e17 release out ill try it again and i might change my mind about it :D.
I also found that KDE has way to many settings as well in my opinion. I guess that's why I could break settings of the DE easily. The Mint e17 beta might be coming out this Monday/Tuesday.
hippy
Level 3
Level 3

Post by hippy »

I was always a big kde fan but when i came over to mint it was then just gnome, i could install kde but decided no i will give gnome a chance and i am glad i did. Gnome i am very happy with now so thats where my vote went
molom

Post by molom »

Gnome seems to be the winner for now. I guess we never should change the DE for Daryna. I just have a certain thought on e17. I don't think anyone would be so tempted into using e17 when it's still considered to be an alpha/beta. I believe there is a future for it for lightweight DE's.
molom

Post by molom »

@ Lunkhead
I don't know If KDE is too windowish. Linux Mint 4.0 (Gnome) looks like the most windowish settup ive ever seen. I just have an obsession with lightweight DE's. I don't know whats wrong with me. And I love eyecandy, but I know KDE is the most popular Environment with eyecandy. But I also love e17. After joining the project, it even makes me love it even more. Thanks for your comment. It's good research to know the reason why other people dislike certain DE's and WM's more than others. I dislike KDE because of the so many options it has and it's not focused at all at being lightweight, it still beats Windows' speed :) . There are such tiny tweaks, that make me think that KDE is cluttered, but then again that's my opinion. Thanks for your comment Lunkhead.

Cheers,
molom
molom

Post by molom »

LunkHead wrote:
molom wrote:I don't think anyone would be so tempted into using e17 when it's still considered to be an alpha/beta.
Yes but have you ever seen an Alpha as stable as E17?

Kris
I was just saying it must be a very good DE/WM because its alpha material, but is still used. The only reason I think its considered to be alpha is because it hasn't been packed enough into a full DE. The etk apps are definately alpha (I wouldn't touch any of those apps). And there arn't enough features to be a full eye candy DE. There's no hard drive monitor, dictionary module or any other types of widgets/modules that other OS's have like Mac OS X. But it's still stable and fast, which makes it a DE for many people to cherish. This is why I think it's called an alpha. e17 is stable, it isn't full yet, that's all. Would anybody use KDE4/gnome alpha for there DE... I don't think so ;). By the way, there are some OS that are considered stable and would be still called an alpha/beta OS like Windows Vista. I think e17 could beat aero and the Windows Vista gui anytime. And e17 hasn't been marketed as much as other DE's. elive has done wanderful marketing to get awareness, even though it's one of the most broken OS's I've ever found. I haven't found any polished e17 distro (geubuntu 7.10 is one of the most polished, but I dislike the artwork a lot and I hate have two DE's work at the same time) and that's why I joined the Mint e17 project.
bigbearomaha
Level 3
Level 3

Post by bigbearomaha »

For Mint, I had to vote for Xfce. Xfce is simple, easy to navigate, does the main things I need a desktop to do.

To me, KDE is ok for a certain type of environment/usage and Gnome is never my top choice.

But I always have room for Xfce, especially the version that comes from Mint.

Big Bear
Bee the best you can bee.
molom

Post by molom »

LunkHead wrote:Understood sir! My apologies as I mis-understood your OP...

I agree that GeUbuntu is a very nice distro... The art can be easily changed though...

I am using Mint 4.0 with E17 at the moment and am really looking forward to the Mint E17 release!!! Should be something special and very nice...

If you all need anything for the E17 release please do not hesitate to ask as I am very willing to assist! :)

Kris
Don't worry. I've made many sentences, where people have understood my point, so it's my fault. At the moment I have found a very good icon artist, who is interested in making a whole theme for the Mint e17 project. I believe this is going to be one of the most complete e17 distro ever! Most e17 distros are made by one person. Geubuntu is made by one Italian guy and elive is made by only one guy (I think his American). I think gOS is only made by two people (One of them was an 'apple computers' developer). Imagine one guy developing a distro, artwork, a website, a forum and fixing bugs for one distro without anyone elses help, that is heaps of work. Mint17 has many members and developers and that's why I think we can achieve the goal of making a distro of 'ease of use', 'full of eyecandy' and 'complete e17 distro'. If you have any talent with ideas, artwork or so on you are more than welcome to help kris. Anyone else that is interested in helping is welcome.
molom

Post by molom »

bigbearomaha wrote:For Mint, I had to vote for Xfce. Xfce is simple, easy to navigate, does the main things I need a desktop to do.

To me, KDE is ok for a certain type of environment/usage and Gnome is never my top choice.

But I always have room for Xfce, especially the version that comes from Mint.

Big Bear
XFCE is my second choice. I don't like e16 and I don't know anyone who does like e16. I love lightweight DE's and that's why I like e17 and xfce. I don't want to touch a WM like fluxbox though, I need something complete. Fluxbuntu progresses very slowly and that's why I'm not interested in helping or using their distro, the community is too small to make their distro a fast developing distro.
Pikey
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Pikey »

Another E17 fan here ... waiting patiently for the MintE17 release !!

While we are here, is there an app for creating E17 themes? ...
molom

Post by molom »

Pikey wrote:Another E17 fan here ... waiting patiently for the MintE17 release !!

While we are here, is there an app for creating E17 themes? ...
I don't have a clue. Ask on ubuntu forums there are plenty of e17 fanatics there. RAV TUX is the person who I know of that should know.
kanishka
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kanishka »

I voted for GNOME, but just because I still have to find an E17 distro that's really good. Mint17 could be the one ;)
molom

Post by molom »

kanishka wrote:I voted for GNOME, but just because I still have to find an E17 distro that's really good. Mint17 could be the one ;)
It should be :D
molom

Post by molom »

KDE is beating gnome... That's odd, but interesting.

Return to “Chat about Linux”