Devices Lacking Linux Support Needed

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
nick
Level 5
Level 5

Devices Lacking Linux Support Needed

Post by nick »

Hi

Found on Groklaw

I don't currently know of any common piece of hardware in use today that is not supported on Linux. And since these vendors do not know, and I don't, I'm asking the world to help out.
So, please, let me know what specific type of device you know of that is not properly supported on Linux. - Greg Kroah-Hartman

http://www.kroah.com/log/linux/devices_ ... eeded.html

Nick
ADMINASTRATOR

Re: Devices Lacking Linux Support Needed

Post by ADMINASTRATOR »

INSTALL 3 IN ONE PRINTER PIXMA MX700
ADMINASTRATOR

Post by ADMINASTRATOR »

ADMINASTRATOR wrote:INSTALL 3 IN ONE PRINTER PIXMA MX700
MagnusB
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MagnusB »

Status report is now released: http://driverdev.linuxdriverproject.org ... 00370.html
And the actual project page should be linked, not a blog post linking to that: http://linuxdriverproject.org/twiki/bin ... versNeeded (not to be an ass, but this means one less click...]
You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on.
--Dean Martin
Bazzaah

Post by Bazzaah »

The Asus Xonar DS is unsupported.
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

nick wrote:So, please, let me know what specific type of device you know of that is not properly supported on Linux. - Greg Kroah-Hartman
Lots
  • Lexmark printers
    --their Optra postscripts are fine, since Unix was initially using postscript printers
    various wireless devices
    various dongles, fingerprint readers
    various network cards (nics)
    various software; specifically games for PCs, usually windows games, requiring a windows OS or an emulation (wine or commercial wine versions)
Linux does support more devices than windows, including older devices, since they are not being dumped from the OS for long periods of time

Any device/platform/product that does not mention Linux specifically, after mentioning windows, then Apple OS-X
--even then, it may be advertising puffery than reality, since their Linux support is likely to be minor at best
pad-thai

Post by pad-thai »

I haven't checked recently, but Visioneer scanners have not been supported for a long time, particularly the One Touch. The last time I looked at the docs, it said there probably would never be support for them. I know BSD has drivers for some models. I was going to port the driver but, you know, I have no ambition.
jaqian

Post by jaqian »

My HP ScanJet 5530 scanner.
recent-convert

Post by recent-convert »

The iPhone? Not sure if that's the kind of device OP was getting at, but being able to sync in Linux is sorely missed.
myspacecommassergio

Post by myspacecommassergio »

Motorola Krzr Cellphone does not work for tethering. Throw that up there with the iPhone. Although it's listed as compatible on some linux site. I'm not even going to google it to post the link becuase I don't want to look it up again. :evil:

Razr on other hand works fine
azumi

Post by azumi »

Blueray writers ?

I've had one in my Inspiron laptop for nearly 2 years now and the only
way I can write to it is with Nero. (I like nero and was happy to buy it by the way)
I'd much rather have an industry standard format for read/writing BD-RE discs
through the file browser though.

I tried a UDF solution but for some reason couldn't get it to work.

Az.
Superewza

Post by Superewza »

recent-convert wrote:The iPhone? Not sure if that's the kind of device OP was getting at, but being able to sync in Linux is sorely missed.
That can be done (reportedly) in Ubuntu 10.04 Alpha 3.
Joylove

Post by Joylove »

My flux capacitor :lol:

seriously wish my USB TV Tuner gets supported (AFAIK it has a trident chipset numbered 5600)
http://www.cdrking.com/local/products/i ... 62-3611753

specs:
Hardware I/O: 75 TV/FM Antenna Input / S-Video / Composite / RCA Audio in
• Dimension: 104 x 64.1 x 21.74mm
• Main Chipset: Trident 5600 video decode
• Bundle Software: TV Expert
• Analog TV standard: NTSC or PAL B/G, D/K, I, M/N Receiving Frequency from 45.25 - 863.25 MHZ
• Record Format: MPEG 1/2, WMV, WMA (DivX format is optional*) (To enable DivX format must download codec from www.divx.com)
• Remote control: 28 key I/R remote controller
Txnca

Post by Txnca »

jaqian wrote:My HP ScanJet 5530 scanner.
I would be surprised if ANYTHING HP makes is supported! They are notorious for dropping support for stuff even though it is still fairly new. I refuse to buy anything made by HP for that very reason.

Looks like it is my day to rant! Second in as many posts!

Actually though I have something that isn't supported. It's a Linksys Compact Wireless-G USB Adapter Model: WUSB54GC. The license agreement seems to support that the driver is open source though.
See here http://www.linksysbycisco.com/static/co ... _B-WEB.pdf

Steve
vtired

Post by vtired »

I have a Telsey everyweb usb modem that is really difficult to make work on Ubuntu. The manufacturer says they have drivers for ubuntu but they haven't been of any help to me.
BubbaBlues

Post by BubbaBlues »

Wacom Bamboo Pen & Touch. This is the new touch pad from wacom. Very nice, and very unusable in Linux. 8)
linuxviolin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by linuxviolin »

Txnca wrote:I would be surprised if ANYTHING HP makes is supported!
:shock: ??? Ah? No problems with my old Deskjet 940 c or with a HP all-in-one... Even few years ago with another HP printer(s), I never had some problems!
K.I.S.S. ===> "Keep It Simple, Stupid"
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." (Leonardo da Vinci)
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Albert Einstein)
det4100
Level 4
Level 4

Post by det4100 »

I would like to see the Visioneer OneTouch scanner supported. Also my 30gig Zune. Bugs the crap outta me that I have to fire up Windows to change the songs around on that thing. As for HP printers, I have not had a problem yet getting one of them to work. All in ones, PhotoSmarts, 950, 1610, etc All inkjets. I never tried a laser printer.

det4100
det4100

Running Mint Debian
Relative
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Relative »

Level 1 PostScript printers - remember these? Unless they were feature laden, just about any Level 1 PostScript drive would work. Still many around that work fine.

Mike
Mate 21.3 - MacBookPro2,1, MacBook2,1
Mate 21.3 - ThinkPad L430, ThinkPad T430, Dell N7110, iMac8.1, Toshiba A215
Mate 19.3 - (32-bit version) Old home-built P4 desktop.
Raspbian - Pi3 & Pi4.
All except P4 machine run cancer research 24/7.
jeffreyC

Post by jeffreyC »

CD writers, many of them seem to only have maximum speed available in Linux.
It appears that more attention is given to burning Linux CDs in Windows than in Linux.
How can I get anyone to use Linux if I need to use Windows to burn a CD for them ?

Return to “Chat about Linux”