New user 73 years young

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Newman

New user 73 years young

Post by Newman »

Hi linux community,

Just thought i'd share this with you, My father in law is 73 and to say he is computer illiterate would be an understatement. Well after the 3rd install of XP due to virus destruction i finally gave up and installed Mint. I am not a linux user, i dont linux, i wouldnt know my BASH from my TAR BALLZ but i did research alot of disto's befor i choose this. I choose this based on its latest kernal and the KDE interface, because the father in law was going to use this i needed it to do a few things

1. Easy install---TICK
2. Windows like--TICk
3. Easy for a novice to use (me not him)--TICK
4. Easy to install--TICK
5. Easy to configure and install if it missed something like solitar (he loves that game)-- OMG HUGE TICK

so there we have it, you now can welcome Ted to linux a 73 year old man who for the first time in his computing years is trying something new. I just wanted to say thanks for such a great distro and keep up the fantastic work. 9if i could get it to play COD 4 id ditch Vista, god would i ditch Vista)

Take care--DaZ
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: New user 73 years young

Post by Husse »

Welcome - I especially like
73 years young
Not too long before I'm there my self...
Fred

Post by Fred »

Newman,

You can tell him he will be in good company here.

Seniors of the world unite! :-)

Fred
Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Zwopper »

Welcome!
Both Ted and Newman!
Hey Newman, Ihope you give Linux Mint a try for yourself as well, who knows in a couple of months your father in law might teach YOU something! ;)
My artwork at deviantART | My Band - Electric Alchemea
CREA DIEM!

Lenovo U330P | i5 | 16GB | 128GB - SSD | Elemantary OS 0.4
Fred

Post by Fred »

Zwopper,
Hey Newman, I hope you give Linux Mint a try for yourself as well, who knows in a couple of months your father in law might teach YOU something! ;)
Actually Zwopper, I would be surprised if the above wasn't the case. Us old duffers do have our moments, once in a while. After all, most of us didn't get this old by accident. :-)

Fred
keithp
Level 3
Level 3

Post by keithp »

Greetings!

(discreet cough) I'm 76, and will be 77 in a few week's time. Perhaps we should start an "old fogies section" 8)

Having tried many distros, I'm finally using Mint and loving it.

Going slightly off-topic, but still about we 'old ones', I'd like to tell you a story which happened to me recently.

A new computer shop opened near to us, so I decided to have a look at it to see what they stocked and what their prices were like. As I opened the shop door, even before I was inside the shop, this voice from the far end shouted "Can I help you?" There behind the counter was a youth who almost looked as though he should still have been at school. A quick think on my part. My daughter had been talking about asking me to install XP on her computer. So I asked the youth how much his XP Home Edition CDs were. Obviously assuming that all geriatrics must be clueless, he replied, "You'll have to bring the computer in so that I can check it and see that it is suitable for XP". "Right", I thought, "Here goes". So I told him the complete specification of my own computer - motherboard, processor, memory, and so on. (I hadn't checked the spec. of my daughter's machine). Youth was obviously taken aback that an old person like me should have known any more about computers than how to switch one on! He obviously wasn't interested in telling me the price of his CDs, as he replied that it would cost me ninety-five pounds for him to install XP, plus the cost of him going on to the internet to get all the drivers. I walked out of the shop. When I next walked past the shop two or three months later, it had closed!

I thought the incident was hilarious!!!

Cheers and sorry for the OT.

Keith
Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Zwopper »

Greetings Keith!
A wonderfull story about ignorance! :lol:
Thank you! :)
My artwork at deviantART | My Band - Electric Alchemea