Revamp Linux Mint Logo?

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Re: Revamp Linux Mint Logo?

Post by Zwopper »

...an interesting issue...

If so, now is the time to get to work on it, so everyone gets a chance to implement it in wallpapers, the various splash-screens, themes, iconsets etc.
I for one will be watching this with great interest.
And if such a decision is made, will make my best to contribute in any way I can.

On a side note...
If new system sounds are needed I have a full studio just waiting to make some noise...
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
My artwork at deviantART | My Band - Electric Alchemea
CREA DIEM!

Lenovo U330P | i5 | 16GB | 128GB - SSD | Elemantary OS 0.4
belovedmonster
Level 5
Level 5

Post by belovedmonster »

Really you aren't proposing a new logo but more a new name for the distro (which then affects the logo as it would effect every part of the website and branding).

While I guess most people do call it Mint for short I dont know if dropping the Linux is a good idea both in terms of branding and just in terms of how it sounds.
molom

Post by molom »

I think changing the name 'Linux Mint' to 'Mint' sounds a lot more elegant. So I also want the name to be change. But I can't imagine how the logo would look like. It sounds like a hard task.

Cheers,
molom
rcdeacon
Level 3
Level 3

Post by rcdeacon »

Revamping the logo is fine with me. I don't know if it will result in any legal problems but I know I always refer to it as Mint. Most in the Linux community already know we are talking about a Linux distribution and those outside of the Linux community simply ask "Linux?" So to simplify the name to Mint may have some advantages. As for some new sounds for Mint, GO FOR IT!
Neither is there in any other: for there is no other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved. Acts 4:12.
Dell Dimension 4600, 1g, Nvidia 5500, Mint 4.0, Mepis 7.0, XP
Acer Aspire 5002 WLMi, 1g, Sis 760, Mint 4.0
cmost
Level 4
Level 4

Post by cmost »

Personally, I love "Linux Mint". It associates the word "Linux" with "Mint". Since Linux Mint is a user friendly, elegant Linux distribution (and strives to be THE most user friendly, elegant Linux distribution" it's appropriate and desirable to have "Mint" associated with "Linux" so that users come to know "Linux" as "Mint". Did that make sense??? :P

As for the Mint logo...it's brilliant. It's clean, concise and simple. It follows the oft ignored KISS principle (Keep It Simple Stupid.) One thing I've noticed about the Linux community and artwork is that too many cooks spoil the broth. All one needs to do is peruse gnome-look or kde-look to quickly find many, many gaudy, over done wallpapers, splash screens, icon themes or any type of theme you can imagine. Many comments on these submissions urge for more of this or less of that...indicating, clearly that it is impossible to please everyone. So it is in the Linux Mint community. The Linux Mint logo is already simple and elegant as the distro's name implies. It's beautiful as is and does its job well. Let's just screw around with it too much or we'll ruin it in a vain attempt to please everyone.
Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Zwopper »

rcdeacon wrote:As for some new sounds for Mint, GO FOR IT!
[My current Logon sound] - Mint upload - 2 days only!

[My current Logoff sound] - Mint upload - 2 days only!
Last edited by Zwopper on Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
CREA DIEM!

molom

Post by molom »

cmost wrote:Personally, I love "Linux Mint". It associates the word "Linux" with "Mint". Since Linux Mint is a user friendly, elegant Linux distribution (and strives to be THE most user friendly, elegant Linux distribution" it's appropriate and desirable to have "Mint" associated with "Linux" so that users come to know "Linux" as "Mint". Did that make sense??? :P

As for the Mint logo...it's brilliant. It's clean, concise and simple. It follows the oft ignored KISS principle (Keep It Simple Stupid.) One thing I've noticed about the Linux community and artwork is that too many cooks spoil the broth. All one needs to do is peruse gnome-look or kde-look to quickly find many, many gaudy, over done wallpapers, splash screens, icon themes or any type of theme you can imagine. Many comments on these submissions urge for more of this or less of that...indicating, clearly that it is impossible to please everyone. So it is in the Linux Mint community. The Linux Mint logo is already simple and elegant as the distro's name implies. It's beautiful as is and does its job well. Let's just screw around with it too much or we'll ruin it in a vain attempt to please everyone.
You have totally confused me on that first paragraph :?
Making it just 'Mint' makes people that don't like linux to try it. Its like gOS. I bet if gOS was called 'Linux gOS' hardly any people would want to buy their PC's.

Cheers,
molom
rcdeacon
Level 3
Level 3

Post by rcdeacon »

zwopper, thanks for the sounds. Installed both on my desktop and laptop. Thanks. They really sound good.
Neither is there in any other: for there is no other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved. Acts 4:12.
Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Zwopper »

rcdeacon wrote:zwopper, thanks for the sounds. Installed both on my desktop and laptop. Thanks. They really sound good.
I'm glad You like them.
I'm thinking about putting together a complete set for all system events.
CREA DIEM!

Boo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Boo »

Branding is important so the basic LM of the logo would be best left in.

I do not think the Linux Mint Logo or wording (branding) restricts an artist.
Think outside the box and don't follow what others do or have done.

have you ever asked yourself "what if I am wrong?"

why is the answer 43?

Boo
Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!
Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Zwopper »

Kynan wrote:I agree but also in a different way....
to me having "mint" in the name whether its "linux mint" or just "mint" makes things difficult and restricts the options to make wallpapers themes ect as you basically have to adopt to a green look just because of the name. I've often thought if i were to create a wallpaper for mint what would it be like??... i don't think of the beautiful vista wallpapers with the nice scenery, i just think of mint leafs and a green themed background (maybe grass or trees).

Ubuntu also sort of has this problem with its brown and orange theme trying to be african themed... to me its just restrictions on what design you can do.
On this issue I don't agree with You at all.
I have made some scenic mint wallpapers, with motives from the Icelandic nature, they're not up to vista class because of the low resolution of the camera, but still...

[Take a look here!
CREA DIEM!

cmost
Level 4
Level 4

Post by cmost »

@adredz

The phrase Linux Mint is not redundant. Linux Linux would be redundant, Linux OS would be redundant. When an uninitiated person sees the phrase Linux Mint out in the wild, say on a tech site or elsewhere, he immediately knows from its name that it's a variant of the Linux operating system. Otherwise he scratches his head and says "what is Mint?" At least with gOS, the name implies it's an operating system. When Linux Mint gains the reputation Clem hopes it will, then people will come to realize Linux Mint as THE Linux distribution. Mint only describes a distribution of Linux to the Mint community or those familiar with Linux and its myriad of distributions. When others see the word Mint, they think of its other common definition. Otherwise; by your logic dinner mints would be mistaken for Linux, mint chocolates as linux, etc. Obviously that's nonsensical. I think it's a really bad idea to start over analyzing the distributions' name and tinkering around with its logo. In this day and age brand recognition is everything and Linux Mint has already established itself as a brand (it's number five on Distrowatch.) Remember what happened when Coke screwed around with its trademark formula?
yamawho
Level 3
Level 3

Post by yamawho »

It might help to know why this distro was called Mint.

Does anyone know ?

Maybe a concept could come from that ...
molom

Post by molom »

oomingmak wrote:I agree that including the word "Linux" in the distro names feels somewhat redundant, but imagine if you wanted to Google for Linux Mint related items and the distro was just called "Mint".

It would be a nightmare finding relevant links.
I still think the company should be called Linux Mint, but I think the distro should be called Mint.
belovedmonster
Level 5
Level 5

Post by belovedmonster »

Linux Mint is kinda a mouthful to say. Try saying it fast 5 times, you cant. Now try saying Microsoft, or Ubuntu or Red Hat fast 5 times. Much easier isnt it? "Linux Mint" isnt exactly the most free flowing thing to say, it doesn't exactly roll off the tongue. I think this is the problem with the name that has led to this thread and all its replies. People are trying to find an explanation for why Linux Mint doesn't sound as elegant as they would like and its got nothing to do with Linux being redundant but simply that the two words don't flow together in a nice way.

OK, so lets drop the Linux and call it "Mint". Easy solution yes?

Nope. Mint on its own would suck.

I work in the film industry and every production company is like "Gorilla Films", "Mountain View Films", "XYZ Films". If they didn't have that "Film" in the title not only would they sound strange but they would lack context, so at a glance you couldn't see someone business card or see the logo and know what it is they do. And purely on a practical level, if we were simply called Mint how would anyone find us on google?

Puppy Linux isnt just called Puppy. DragonflyBSD isnt just called Dragonfly. Dream Linux isnt just called Dream. There is a precedent here for a reason. You gotta have some context!!

It's no coincidence that just about every distro that doesn't have Linux in its name is one which has a quirky or original word that cant easily be confused with something else. Sure you can argue Ubuntu is an african word, but for everyone outside of Africa Ubuntu is this word that means a Linux distro (and more to the point people in Africa probably call it Ubuntu Linux to differentiate).

I think the only way you could remove the linux from the name therefore would be differentiate Mint in some other way, so it wasnt just a generic word, like if it was rebranded as MintOS that would work, or if it was some completely new word like Mintux. But simply Mint on its own is just too vague to work in the outside world.

But would Clem wanna completely change the name to something new at this stage in the game? I doubt it.

Would he wanna reduce it to Mint even though its vague? Perhaps, as a compromise, but it definitely has its flaws.

Ultimately though Clem chose to call it Linux Mint despite the fact it doesn't roll of the tongue, so he obviously really likes the name. So why would he wanna change it?
molom

Post by molom »

@ Beloved Monster
I think you are quite right there, but you could call it 'Mint OS', still sounds more elegant.

Cheers,
molom
rcdeacon
Level 3
Level 3

Post by rcdeacon »

Perhaps you are right belovedmonster, Linux Mint is descriptive but so could Mint Linux, Minty Linux, Minted Linux or some variation thereof. One significant thing you mentioned however was the fact that we are far into the game with the Linux Mint thing and it may not be WISE to change up at this point. Regardless of the name I AM GOING TO USE IT BECAUSE IT NOT ONLY WORKS BUT WORKS GOOD! I will continue to brag on its virtues to those I interact with on a daily basis. In fact, I have company coming in this weekend and I intend to present LINUX MINT to him. Great thread, great discussion and great distro!
Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Zwopper »

rcdeacon wrote:*****SNIP***** Regardless of the name I AM GOING TO USE IT BECAUSE IT NOT ONLY WORKS BUT WORKS GOOD! I will continue to brag on its virtues to those I interact with on a daily basis.*****SNIP***** Great thread, great discussion and great distro!
AMEN!
CREA DIEM!

carlos
Level 4
Level 4

Post by carlos »

Ok Ladies and gents. As great as this conversation is, this is all old news and is a frequent conversation that pops up as new members join the forum and have hung out. Feel free to search through the old postings, I'm sure you will see the conversations.

Being that I am the guy who created the logo as it exists now I thought I would have been able to chime in :wink: But, belovedmonster pretty much nailed it. :D

Also Boo is right when he mentioned that an artist shouldn't feel restricted. While green is more or less our official color, the logo doesn't have to be limited to it. A perfect example was the BSD one that molom just busted out. Artist should be able to be creative even when there are restriction. Feel free to think inside and outside the box.

One last thing which is my fault. I have meant to put up logo usage and guidelines but time hasn't been a friend of mine lately. I will try to get that up shortly.

If anyone wants more info about the logo feel free to ask.
____________ ________ ______ ____ ___ __ __ _
http://www.designdrifter.com
The Purpose of Life is for DNA to reproduce.
Sayhar
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Sayhar »

Those alternative logon and logoff sounds are great. How do I "install" them please?

Return to “Non-technical Questions”