mint special google search page....

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
whiner

Re: mint special google search page....

Post by whiner »

toblakai wrote::evil: This is f***** anyoing adware. I love mint but not when you break my system, WITHOUT telling me, and WITHOUT telling me how to fix it.
Wow, talk about hyperbole...

Nobody broke your system....it came that way. Despite your claim that they did it without telling you and without telling you how to fix it, they did neither. It really took me about 30 seconds in Opera and less then than 3 minutes in Firefox--that was both researching the solution and implementing it.

In the time it took you to come in here and post your rant, you could have fixed both of them.
Wh1sper
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Wh1sper »

Thanxs for the tip with the Search engine AddOn 8:)
Mein Blog fuer Nerten und Linux Strategen http://zockertown.de/s9y/
yurkomik

Post by yurkomik »

toblakai wrote::evil: This is f****** anyoing adware. I love mint but not when you break my system, WITHOUT telling me, and WITHOUT telling me how to fix it.

In Opera, if I search for something with an unknown keyword, I'm taken to the linux mint google search. This breaks all of my workflow. The linux mint google search is horrible, with none of the extra google searches I need access to all the time, and for instance the google calculator does NOT work.

Now, if it was like my home page that I could simply change away from, fine. But getting the s*** both in Opera and in Firefox, and with even a search on forum don't yield simple and specific instructions... I say s*** because it's extremely intrusive, breaks the most important thing in my daily work (search), and I can't remove it. No problem that you need money, and it's obviously a great revenue for you - and fine with most ppl. But dude.. I just can't wrap my mind around the ugly intrusivness of this thing! How can you not communicate clearly how to remove it from firefox and opera and whatever??

A search of forums gave references to a blog which gave references to a firefox plugin, however this doesn't solve my Opera problems. Not even a search on the wiki pages gives any link to this..

Please.. this is definitely something I'll leave Mint behind for if I have to, but I would hate that so I hope someone can give a solution here on how to remove it. And man... it's just so incredibly rude done... since you don't provide an easy way out.

T
Hey! It's impossible to work with googlesearch in opera!
I need chache!!!!
How to turn in off? what is the correct string for search engine?

EDITED
To remove offensive language
4/11/2010
Aging Technogeek
Forum Moderator.
msuggs

Post by msuggs »

joel_gil wrote: I have the newest version of the addon 1.7, is anyone else having this problem?
hopefully someone can give me another solution or maybe any idea of what am I doing wrong.
Like, the addon is activated but is not to be seen anywhere.
thanks in advanced
Once the addon is activated just navigate to http://www.google.com, right click in the search field and choose 'Add to Search Bar'

Post by Guest »

Restoring search engine in Opera

1. Go to google.com, right-click (Ctrl-click on Mac) in the site's search field and select "Create search" from the menu.
2. Copy adress like: http://www.google.com.ua/search?hl=uk&q ... ogle&meta= from menu (push detailes to see adress)
3. Go Tools/Preference/Search and Edit Google search (change adress to just coppied one)
4. Save

So it's not hard.
Sorry clem, great OS but some people need chaching and images.
lanark

Post by lanark »

omns wrote:
joel_gil wrote: I have the newest version of the addon 1.7, is anyone else having this problem?
hopefully someone can give me another solution or maybe any idea of what am I doing wrong.
Like, the addon is activated but is not to be seen anywhere.
thanks in advanced
Once the addon is activated just navigate to http://www.google.com, right click in the search field and choose 'Add to Search Bar'
I have the very same problem as joel_gil, I have installed the plugin, but no 'Add to Search Bar' option show up in the right click menu... I want the extra options back in my google search page.

@Clem: Why don't you put all the standard options in the custom Mint Google search plugin? It would be nice to have the extra features (Images, cache, view as HTML, local options, etc, etc) AND the ads for Mint revenue... Why can't everything be together and make everybody happy?

Cheers,
Lanark
msuggs

Post by msuggs »

adi_kausik wrote:Would appreciate if someone could point me to it.
That option is not available on the custom search page so you'll have to use a standard search page if you want those functions. Remember though that customised page provides valuable fund raising to keep Mint going so it may be an inconvenience worth putting up with. That said, read back a few posts in this thread to find the method of adding the standard search page to Firefox :)
guest76576

Post by guest76576 »

Totally agree with replacing to default Google search page. If Mint wants to make their own, then make a complete new entry in the search field with the Mint logo. This will make it easier for people to choose what they want to use.
lonoy

Post by lonoy »

Add this search to FF and you can then search and add thousands of different engines that suit your fancy including more versions of Google than you can point a stick at:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/6887

You can even add a search engine that will search the Mint Forum direct from your search bar:

http://mycroft.mozdev.org/search-engine ... linux+mint

Cheers and keep smiling.
davidfoley

Post by davidfoley »

A Cairde,
I had this problem also. I found the solution was to remove the pre-installed Google search engine and, install the desired one from 'mycroft.mozdev.org'. Here's how:

1. Click the drop-down menu on the search engine plugin.
2. Click "Manage Search Engines".
3. Select Google, and click Remove.
4. Visit 'http://mycroft.mozdev.org/google-search-plugins.html'.
5. Select the new Google plugin you wish to install. I chose 'Google IE - the web' (usually you want 'the web' version, this searches the entire web rather than just pages from your country).

There you go, hope this helps.

David Foley :) ,
Wexford, Ireland.
Jo

Post by Jo »

erginemr wrote:As already posted with a link before, to go back to the default Google search in Firefox is easy:

1. You need to install the "Add to Search Bar" add-on: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/3682

2. Visit Google homepage (http://www.google.com), right click on the search text area and click on "Add to Search Bar" (or similar).

3. Then, click on the icon on the left of the Firefox Google search text box and select "Manage Search Engines" (or similar).

4. Delete the Google search item by Linux Mint and move the one you have just created to the top. And you are all done!
Dear erginemr,

A MASSIVE thanks for this...I've been trying to get the Mint Google Search off Firefox for a while now, and this was perfect!
Worked perfectly! Again, thanks for making this n00b a very happy one! :D

Regards,
Jo
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MALsPa »

Thanks, everyone. The Minty Firefox thing was really starting to get annoying.
Kangarooo

Post by Kangarooo »

Edit by Husse:
Content removed due to foul language
A registered user would have been warned or banned
It's perfectly OK to express an opinion, but refrain from foul and stupid language
gibbs1984
Level 5
Level 5

Post by gibbs1984 »

I don't mind supporting Linux Mint in the Google search bar but is there anyway to get the Googlepedia add-on to work in it?
Linux Mint 20.3 (Cinnamon) 64bit.
hopetoregistersoon

Post by hopetoregistersoon »

what's the big fuss people???
click on the google logo, from the drop down menu select original google
gibbs1984
Level 5
Level 5

Post by gibbs1984 »

bharani wrote:The simplest way to make firefox use regular google search page is to install an addon named add to search bar (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/3682).
Then open google page right click the search box in google page and select add to search bar.
The search bar will be added to your search bar.
Then delete the old google search engine.
Works a treat, thanks very much.
Linux Mint 20.3 (Cinnamon) 64bit.
Clifford

Post by Clifford »

I just installed Linux Mint over the weekend and this Mint Branded Firefox was really obnoxious. Thanks for the fixes.
I would have left it be if Google search had the same options as if I were to search Google itself. Personalized Google pages are disregarded for a few cents. A separate Google images search option doesn't fix anything.
I also noticed that it had been called "adware" by others in this thread. Quite honestly, I somewhat agree. It is an easy fix but it sure is not what I wanted. Direct from dictionary.com adaware is a software application in which advertisements are displayed while the program is running, esp. in pop-up windows or banners, and which often is installed without the user's knowledge or consent. I did consent to install Linux Mint but I had no idea that my personalized Google would be destroyed.
Other than that Linux Mint has been great. Thanks for the hard work. The mint menu is pretty spiffy.
Opera affected too...

Post by Opera affected too... »

You did it to Opera too. That really sucks. Thanks for screwing with my awesome personalized google
pluraldave

Post by pluraldave »

Tools->Preferences->Search

Add/edit your preferred search engine to make it the default.
emorrp1

Post by emorrp1 »

as both hopetoregistersoon and pluraldave have pointed out, it's trivial to change in firefox, no need to install a toolbar or anything. Just select the original google from the drop-down list, or if you really want it every time, edit the preferences to make it default.

Return to “Non-technical Questions”