Don't know where to start

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
belovedmonster
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Don't know where to start

Post by belovedmonster »

7gods1, just so you know, we aren't all as sarcastic as sundayrefugee around here :P
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Dennis99

Post by Dennis99 »

I had the same problem with lock-ups after implementing visual effects "wobbly windows" :D (ATI Radeon X300 graphics), they always needed a hard reboot too.
As soon as I changed back to "None" on the visual effects tab in " Appearance" in the Control Centre the problem has gone.
cmost
Level 4
Level 4

Post by cmost »

Sundayrefugee, while I thought your comments were apropos considering this user opened himself up for such comments when he immediately declared himself a "Gentoo Power User' (as if that somehow imparts a level of knowledge and expertise far beyond that of any lowly Linux Mint user...) I've installed and run Gentoo Linux too, but I would hardly consider myself a Gentoo Power user! Regardless, we should avoid being so direct with such users (i.e., calling them out on arrogance or bullshit.) The Linux Mint community is one of the friendliest and we should attempt to maintain that at all costs; avoid lowering ourselves; and refrain from getting into a contest of egos so as to avoid putting off new converts...even those who set themselves up so easily for ridicule. :P
newW2
Level 5
Level 5

Post by newW2 »

First of all welcome to Linux Mint, 7gods1. That exchange actually went down very well in the end; it took only a few posts and not days (as I have read on other forums). It is just another indication of the caliber of people that try, use and stay with, and then support Linux Mint on the forum.

As you may know already, we have one full time forum moderator - Husse. I know Husse has his hands full, and I really don't know how he manages to keep up with answering as many posts as he does. I saw something however in this short series of posts that exemplifies what it means to have a community of support. And that includes the respectful manner in which you "all" treated each other. Please accept my exuberant pride for this community, however, I must say that I hope you stick with us!
Fred

Post by Fred »

Well, for me, I don't know a lot about anything. And I know even less about Vista. In fact, the only things I know about Vista are that it's made by Microsoft, and that I really don't want to clutter up what few brain cells I have left trying to learn something about it.

As another one that has spent a considerable amount of time on the Gentoo forums, I too have been known to slip back into the old ways from time to time. Some times the temptation has just been more than could be resisted. But cmost is correct in his assessment about what this forum should be. That was the biggest thing that attracted me here. The friendly willingness to help others without the demanding initiation process one must endure in most other forums.

For what it is worth, I try to be good.... honest. :-)

Fred
MagnusB
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MagnusB »

I like the Mint community, that is why I stick around even though I have more or less stopped using Mint (even though I pop it out from time to time). That, and after starting posting here I learned allot about Linux in general (though my learning curve started in a Norwegian forum, but they just re made the entire network and I felt the community changed).
And I absolutely HATE elitist behavior, mostly because I know it is only a matter of time before I have broken my system in an incredible stupid way and need help :)
You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on.
--Dean Martin

Return to “Non-technical Questions”