Radeon 9200 -- Just doesn't work.

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Husse

Re: Radeon 9200 -- Just doesn't work.

Post by Husse »

You did not mention which motherboard
And - taken from memory - the 92** do have a problem, but I don really recall seeing that they don't even boot, problems are later on...
This is close to impossible to solve from a distance...
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Post by Husse »

Sometimes a data spread sheet is revealing...
PSU 200 watts
I don't think you have enough power to support the ATI cards...
Husse

Post by Husse »

Sorry I didn't get that
You see 200 watts is very little and it has noting to do with Win or linux - it's hardware
Don't buy a new card for this box with the possible exception for some really low end card
They need more umph than this PSU can deliver (it's not only watts, but amps on 12 volt) but this is way too technical
I know a bit about this, it was not for nothing I sold computer parts by mail order for 8 years :)
Husse

Post by Husse »

Hmm
This is a case where I would like to be hands on...
Boot, study and boot again and again....
I'm not writing this to defend Mint but I think it still might be the lack of power. The 92xx is definitely not "power thirsty" (I've been unable to find an exact figure) but maybe Linux is using more power (not much)
It seems that you manage to get to about where X is about to start and then power needs increase.
This is from my experience - lack of power is a much more common error than most people think
One thing - have you disabled the built in video?
Husse

Post by Husse »

I've asked my "hardware guru" what he thinks about it
Answer tomorrow (at best :))
Caraibes
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Caraibes »

I just wanted to say that I have a Radeon 9200 on my main box (since various years...)

No problem whatsoever...I use the fee driver... everything out of the box... (Mint, Fedora, Mandriva, Ubuntu, Slackware derivative, OpenSUSE...)
McLovin

Post by McLovin »

ok, let me see if I can help in this issue. I say this is a power issue, while the card may not be power hungry, and Windows will load with no problem, you need to understand that when you are loading the cd, the cd drive is using alot of power to spin up, read etc., so while it may be able to power the card and the hard drive, when you are trying to load the cd, and power the card, and the hard drives, and ram, and motherboard, etc. etc., you are drawing too much power from PSU, and it just doesn't have enough omph to power all that hardware at once. Do you have enough cash to get a new PSU? You can find 500w PSU from Newegg for like $30 USD. Check out his one http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6817159066 while it's not the latest and greatest, it will do the job, and you will notice a bit better performance than what you have now.
Husse

Post by Husse »

PCI card
PCI card or PCI express card?
BAD

Post by BAD »

I have a 9200SE AGP it works fine. I don't think the 9200 was made as a PCIE. It is an AGP and PCI card. Unfortunately you got unlucky. I think these cards were made before AMD took over. ATI had a policy to support certain cards for a short time ATI 7500aiw and 9200 are among them. I believe the 8000 series and 9200SE were set for long term support.
It is unfortunate that you will not try a different power supply. I have seen several computers have problems with them. I knew of 2 computers that would reset so I switched the power supply among three computers and they all work fine now. It has been over 2 years and none have had a problem since.
McLovin

Post by McLovin »

Out of curiosity, have you gone into the Bios to tell it to use ONLY the PCI card, I have encountered issues like this when the bios was set use whatever it wanted, but changing that setting helped my issue.
Husse

Post by Husse »

I've lost track of the beginning and honestly don't want to read through it all again - have to do that often enough
I don't think we've learned anything about the motherboard used.
If it has a built in graphics card as well this may give problems
Come to think of that when McLovin wrote about settings in BIOS for video card to use...
Husse

Post by Husse »

@ spike jones
You sum it up nicely - I think you can understand that with the numbers of answers I produce I'm not happy reading through a long topic. I do remember a lot about this topic and perhaps I missed a bit....
When I still had my business selling computer parts I encountered this problem more than once in Windows but also Linux I think. It is really sad that "the big manufacturers" can't do it properly.
With an option to explicitly turn off the integrated video I think it worked - else not....
What should be done is to trick the kernel to disregard the internal chip...
So far no luck finding it - really hard to figure out a good search phrase, get too many irrelevant hits
!!! I found this (on a Red Hat page but should work here as it's a kernel thing)
noprobe
This command disables hardware detection and instead prompts the user for hardware information.
Have not tested it - no time for that (yet)
Husse

Post by Husse »

Had it not been that you should have a working system I'd say it's an interesting intellectual (?) challenge to play with
It's so darn hard to google this - believe me, I've googled for this and other video problems quite a bit
My knowledge, and my time, is not unlimited but this is something that people will run into - and there's more to come - like Toshiba having a BIOS that makes it impossible to boot anything but Vista.... How to solve that? I will have this gnawing in the back of my mind for some time I think :)
greek

Post by greek »

I have tried ATI Radeon 9200 on all 4 of my computers plus an ATI Radeon X1650Pro with the same results. On 2 computers I cannot install Mint at all, on the rest I can only get 640x480 display. The smallest power supply that I have
is 450 watts, and the biggest 600 watts, therefore it is not a power supply problem.
However ATI card have exhibited similar problems with other Linux distributions.
BAD

Post by BAD »

Try Ubuntu 8.04.1 I installed it on a laptop with a 9200 and it works fine. I also have a 9200SE on my computer which works.

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”