"Ubuntu is running in low graphics mode" every boot!!

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
cmost
Level 4
Level 4

"Ubuntu is running in low graphics mode" every boot!!

Post by cmost »

If someone could assist me in figuring out this problem, I would be grateful (and hang onto my hair, which I'm about to pull out in chunks!!!"

I've just installed Linux Mint 4.0 fresh onto an eMachines equipped with AMD Athlon 64 X2 4000+ & nVidia GeForce 6150SE with 128 MB (shared from system) RAM. Since the Envy utility installs the nvidia 100.14 series driver which is unstable and causes random freezes, I wanted to use the older nvidia 9755 series driver. I uninstalled the restricted modules and anything related to nvidia. I also; just for good measure, modified /etc/default/linux-restricted-modules* and changed DISABLED_MODULES=”" to DISABLED_MODULES=”nv”. Finally, I copied a known good xorg.conf to /etc/X11. After compiling the new driver (which completed without any errors) and rebooting, I'm getting the "Ubuntu is running in low-graphics mode" message, which asks me to configure the graphics card and monitor manually. When I do that, it overwrites my custom xorg.conf with a generic one. When I try to modify the generic xorg.conf and reboot, I get the "Ubuntu is running in low-graphics mode" screen again. Basically, anything I do to the generated xorg.conf causes the low graphics mode screen to appear and I'm stuck in a vicious circle. How can I force Mint 4.0 to 1) use my known good xorg.conf (I've used it on numerous machines and there are no errors in it. 2) use the nvidia 9755 graphics driver. 3) STOP triggering the low graphics mode message. This is driving me crazy!!!!!!!!!!!! Assistance appreciated. Thank you!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
cmost
Level 4
Level 4

Re: "Ubuntu is running in low graphics mode" every boot!!

Post by cmost »

Since I could not figure out why this kept happening, I switched the workstation to PCLinuxOS Gnome Edition and it works flawlessly with my custom xorg.conf and the 9755 driver. Come on guys...if PCLOS can get this right, so can we.
carlos
Level 4
Level 4

Post by carlos »

Ok I want to kick this up. Because recently I had the need to have compiz running.

I used envy to install the new nvidia driver for my vid card all went well, but also like cmost I have been getting the failsafe X graphics mode, every time I restart. Its like X is not accepting the xorg.config file that's been created.

Also I went the manual route and downloaded the driver from nvidia's site. That work flawlessly until I restart. Again it goes into safe graphics mode... Any help would be appreciated.

And I know this can work in mint, something is just not right...
____________ ________ ______ ____ ___ __ __ _
http://www.designdrifter.com
The Purpose of Life is for DNA to reproduce.
Fred

Post by Fred »

I am trying to remember but my brain just won't cooperate. Isn't there an option to not allow the recreation and/or replacement of the x org config file available in the install process? I am thinking that might be the key but I can't remember the details.

Also, I believe you need to replace the "nv" entry with "nvida".

Good luck,

Fred
nick
Level 5
Level 5

Post by nick »

Hi

Have you tried:

Code: Select all

sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
And choose Nvidia instead of nv
Nick
cmost
Level 4
Level 4

Post by cmost »

@nick. That didn't work for me.
carlos
Level 4
Level 4

Post by carlos »

Nick, that was next on my list to try. But I have a strange feeling it won't work.
Fred, yep its already set as nvidia.
nick
Level 5
Level 5

Post by nick »

Hi
@ Carlos
Also I went the manual route and downloaded the driver from nvidia's site. That work flawlessly until I restart. Again it goes into safe graphics mode... Any help would be appreciated.

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=106864

Nick
cmost
Level 4
Level 4

Post by cmost »

Downloading and installing the driver manually won't help either. From what I could tell, this annoying Ubuntu "feature" gets a bee in its bonnet and gets stuck in this loop of "low graphics mode". Nothing short of marking the xorg.conf read-only (even for root) will stop it from occurring (and even that probably won't work.) One thing that did work...install Celena and then upgrade to Daryna following the instructions in the Daryna release notes.
carlos
Level 4
Level 4

Post by carlos »

Nick I'll try the recommendations that the users in that thread mentioned.

Cmost I hope that is not the definitive solution. It would be a pain to install the old version of the os and then upgrade. Hmmm, lets see what else can turn up for both of us.
carlos
Level 4
Level 4

Post by carlos »

Great news I did a bit of digging around in the ubuntu forums and found this gem: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=692827
Install the driver manually
  • 1) Install the required prerequisites for the Nvidia installer using:

sudo apt-get install build-essential
    2) Download the Nvidia driver:-

wget http://us.download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86/169.07/NVIDIA-Linux-x86-169.07-pkg1.run
    3) Make a few changes to the "DISABLED_MODULES" line of a modules file using:

gksudo gedit /etc/default/linux-restricted-modules-common
    to make it look like this:

DISABLED_MODULES="nv nvidia_new"
    and save the file.

Note: From this point on you will be using the CLI(Command Line Interface) where you will have to be completely dependent on commands.

4) Kill the X-Server using:

sudo /etc/init.d/gdm stop
    this will stop X,
    press alt +f1 key combo and log into your account

5) Execute the Nvidia installer using:

sudo sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-169.07-pkg1.run
    6) After the installation is successful reconfigure the X-Server using:

sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
    choosing the driver as "nvidia" and any other options you may need.

7) Restart the GUI using:-

sudo /etc/init.d/gdm start

So I skipped steps 1, 2, 3, especially since I downloaded the latest video driver from nvidia. And well it worked. I rebooted my machine and I finally have accelerated 3d and proper resolution. The one step that I have never done was step 6 "sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg" after installing the nvidia driver manually. well that seemed to have done the trick so all is well.

Thanks for the help gang, problem solved! :D
Alpha-Geek
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Alpha-Geek »

Hmm, I installed some updates 2 days ago. (I think it was 3, all level 3) Yesterday when I booted up, I was in low graphics mode. Rebooted...still low graphics. All I did was to run Envy & restart. All is well again. Was it a coincidence that this happened after MintUpdate?

Post by Guest »

Yea the update a few days ago killed my video too, except i couldnt even get X to run. I think this part of the fix above is what you need, the NV driver keeps loading instead of the nvidia one. The package that messed mine up was nvidia-glx-new-envy I removed it, got my video back but it was in low graphics mode every reboot. adding nv and nvidia-new to the disabled modules fixed mine.

Make a few changes to the "DISABLED_MODULES" line of a modules file using:

gksudo gedit /etc/default/linux-restricted-modules-common

to make it look like this:

DISABLED_MODULES="nv nvidia_new"

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”