Improve Internet speed in Elyssa

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Husse

Re: Improve Internet speed in Elyssa

Post by Husse »

I am not at all convinced open DNS increases spead - on the contrary, those servers are quite
Edit by husse //
stable -oops should be unstable//
according to reports I've read
However it is a solution I have recommended if you do not get internet, or only partially get internet
The best would be, I think, to fill in some of your ISP's DNS servers
I have found that if you manually enter your ISP's DNS servers, stability and to some extent speed is increased in Windows as in Linux
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
miket

Post by miket »

Hi Husse !
Husse wrote:I am not at all convinced open DNS increases spead - on the contrary, those servers are quite stable according to reports I've read
However it is a solution I have recommended if you do not get internet, or only partially get internet
The best would be, I think, to fill in some of your ISP's DNS servers
I have found that if you manually enter your ISP's DNS servers, stability and to some extent speed is increased in Windows as in Linux
This isn't going to speed your internet experience up at all !
I have just done a few tests and it takes almost treble the amount of time to get a result as it does from my ISPs DNS servers ....
(2.781 x to be accurate)

The DNS lookup is the initial part of the internet connection, it takes just mere milliseconds to perform and will not be noticeable
at all to the user .... plus I always question the validity of the DNS lookup tables on such servers as they are open to abuse :)

Mike.
Husse

Post by Husse »

Hi Mike
I agree - and I also made an embarrassing typo
However I have found that if you explicitly specify the DNS servers stability (and speed?) increases
At times I have been unable to connect to the net if I did not do that

Return to “Networking”