Advent Laptop with RealTek Model 2573 RaLink USB Solution

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.

Advent Laptop with RealTek Model 2573 RaLink USB Solution

Post by Guest »

Hi All,

My first post on the Mint forum .... but have been using Linux in various forms for more years than I care to remember :)

Just got a new Advent 9117 17in Laptop PC and found that the USB Wifi was none functional under Linux Mint Dryna 4.0.

Interestingly it functioned perfectly under Ubuntu 7.1 which got me thinking ...

So after some extensive investigation it appeared that the modules.alias file in /lib/modules/2.6.22-14-generic/ was the cause of the problem.
Since I already have Ubuntu 7.1 installed on the laptop I could easily copy the module across from the Ubuntu partition onto the Mint partition.

Once rebooted the wifi worked, and indeed still is working flawlessly ....
Whenever I am out on business I can easily login to any wifi hotspot simply by using the network manager icon on the menu bar as one would expect.

You do have to keep an eye on things though as some packages (VirtualBox for example) overwrites the Ubuntu copied module with another version which doesn't work, so you have to then copy it back again.

It would be interesting to find out what the exact difference is between the working and none working versions of the modules.alias module and perhaps get the fix incorporated into a Mint Update in the future.

I hope this information is of use to some people.

Mike.
http://www.avanceit.co.uk
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: Advent Laptop with RealTek Model 2573 RaLink USB Wireless ..

Post by Husse »

Thank you - this is interesting
The cause is probably that Mint forked off Ubuntu "long ago" with the Barbara version and has been updated alongside Ubuntu ever since (it is not as I think many believes so that we make a "new Mint" from every new Ubuntu)
I'll let the team see this
miket

Re: Advent Laptop with RealTek Model 2573 RaLink USB Wireless ..

Post by miket »

Hi Husse,

I am in the fortunate position of installing linux Mint on many different types of PC/Laptops on an almost daily basis, if you like
I can post information like this for each different type of platform as I come across / Fix them if it would be of use to you all.

The last thing I want to do is flood the place with boring, non-interesting facts :)

Also, a big thanks to the Mint team, you have an excellent product, we just need to get it to market now ... something I am working hard on !

Mike.
http://www.avanceit.co.uk
Husse wrote:Thank you - this is interesting
The cause is probably that Mint forked off Ubuntu "long ago" with the Barbara version and has been updated alongside Ubuntu ever since (it is not as I think many believes so that we make a "new Mint" from every new Ubuntu)
I'll let the team see this
Husse

Re: Advent Laptop with RealTek Model 2573 RaLink USB Solution

Post by Husse »

I can post information like this for each different type of platform as I come across / Fix them if it would be of use to you all.
I'd be delighted!
A topic in the howto section "Fixes for different hardware" would be nice...
The lack of experience with different hardware makes it hard for me
I have some 15 distros/editions installed, but only on two desktops and a falling apart Compaq laptop

Return to “Networking”