Vostro Beep and HD Parking?

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Andy Mack

Vostro Beep and HD Parking?

Post by Andy Mack »

Hiya this has been happening for a while and is getting on my nerves now.

Every few seconds or so I get a beep from the hard drive and I can hear it what I'm assuming is parking.

Having read a fair few posts from various places the parking is either fatal or maybe not, some say it is, some say the disk was designed that way.

Has anyone here had a similar problem with their laptop?

Thanks
Andy
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: Vostro Beep and HD Parking?

Post by Husse »

The first thing to do - and immediately - is to back up your data! Back up!
If it is the hard drive that makes the noice it's failing - or the disk controller
See if you can borrow another disk (with any Linux or a Windows for that model) and put it in there shortly to check if the behavior is disk or computer specific
MagnusB
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MagnusB »

If you have a laptop use:

Code: Select all

sudo hdparm -B254 /dev/sda
Change the /dev/sda with what your harddrive is called. This will hopefully reduce the load on the hard drive, but your battery life might suffer from it..
You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on.
--Dean Martin
Husse

Post by Husse »

I agree to that hdparm but if the behavior has "just started" I still feel it's a failing disk
Once you've backed up, you could try the hdparm solution.
Be warned hdparm can destroy your disk used the wrong way - very powerful command
MagnusB
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MagnusB »

I just know that due to some ACPI stuff Linux on laptops often causes quite "aggressive" cycles to the harddrive, and it is quite audible. You can also look at this to see if the disk is about to fail. You need smartmontools installed though:

Code: Select all

sudo aptitude install smartmontools
--Dean Martin
Husse

Post by Husse »

Yes there's a thread somewhere in the forum with the title Ubuntu destroys laptop hard drives or something like it.
But he/she writes
Every few seconds or so
I don't have a lappy with Mint (well - one that's really crappy ) so ...
Andy Mack

Post by Andy Mack »

i used the hdparm and it's stopped beeping but when booting up and loading apps the drive makes a different noise, more like a hd noise now.

When you say parm can destroy you drive if used incorrectly, how should i use it?

After reading what seems to be a million topics on this on dell forums it is the same (problem?) with xp too, and a program can be used to change that thing to 254 to stop the beeping and other thing.

I dont think it is a failing drive as i only got this lappy in january and many other people who mentioned this bought there's recently too.
It seems from what they are saying that the drive is meant to do this beeping crap but that is just hearsay.

Thanks anyways though, if the drive does fail i'll get dell to replace it, no probs with losing data, save to dvd's most weeks.

Much appreciated.
Husse

Post by Husse »

the advice on hdparm you got from MagnusB is ok, but you can actually destroy your disk with wrong parameters.
Adjust and live with it...
It's just that I got a bit worried when it happened so often...
MagnusB
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MagnusB »

Andy Mack wrote:i used the hdparm and it's stopped beeping but when booting up and loading apps the drive makes a different noise, more like a hd noise now.

When you say parm can destroy you drive if used incorrectly, how should i use it?

After reading what seems to be a million topics on this on dell forums it is the same (problem?) with xp too, and a program can be used to change that thing to 254 to stop the beeping and other thing.

I dont think it is a failing drive as i only got this lappy in january and many other people who mentioned this bought there's recently too.
It seems from what they are saying that the drive is meant to do this beeping crap but that is just hearsay.

Thanks anyways though, if the drive does fail i'll get dell to replace it, no probs with losing data, save to dvd's most weeks.

Much appreciated.
I get an aggressive cycle when I shut down, other than that it works pretty ok. I also run -B254 each time I boot up, but that might just be me being paranoid. And hdparm is quite a powerful tool, so careless use could be harmful, especially if you don't know what you are doing. But changing the APM settings should be safe, and if you are not using HP, and actually have a BIOS you can do something with, you can change it in BIOS as well (not all though).
--Dean Martin
Andy Mack

Post by Andy Mack »

Can I run sudo hdparm -B254 /dev/sda2 automatically on boot or not? If so, how?
MagnusB
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MagnusB »

I guess so, I have never really tried to figure that out...
--Dean Martin

Return to “Hardware Support”