Firefox widgets - obsolete with Firefox 3

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Husse

Post by Husse »

This topic is obsolete with FF3
I found
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=369596
and Firefox is looking so much better! Enjoy!
I use my prerogative as moderator to make this post sticky

Note You have to be logged in at the Ubuntu forums to download - I might try to make a mintfile for this
nelamvr6
Level 4
Level 4

Post by nelamvr6 »

I installed these too, they really do make a big difference.

I'm hoping that we can make this a default in future Mint releases. Do you think that's possible?
Husse

Post by Husse »

It's no big deal but it has to be worked upon...
I obviously have not studied the concept of mint files enough... but lets hope we can make it into one... that's one way
belovedmonster
Level 5
Level 5

Post by belovedmonster »

One of the things that left a bad impression on me when I tried Linux for the first time was how everything looked bad on Firefox in a way it didnt on Windows. I thought "Well if Firefox on Windows is better looking than Firefox on Linux then this Linux cant be up to much".

If there's a way we can have this turned on by default then it gets my vote!!
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Post by merlwiz79 »

I enjoy this so much, I have added this to my .deb of SeaMonkey.
http://www.linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6223
saltyp
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Firefox widgets - makes your Firefox look really good!

Post by saltyp »

I fully respect the idea of a CD download as being a terrific way of getting the distro out and about. After all it was a feature that weighed heavily on my choice of new desktops to download. Open SuSE 10.2 was a BEHEMOTH! But globally we are moving to better speeds and volumes. In Austalia we are a long way behind in this area, due in part to our very low population density and hence struggling infrastructure. But the idea of an UBER DVD with all the bells and whistles suggested by the Mint community is not a bad idea. A lot of work for a selected few I admit. But I'd have the bugger streaming down right now if it was available.
if it aint broken....dont let me near it
salai
Level 1
Level 1

Post by salai »

Firefox 3.0 trunk (nightly test version) is looking really good with native Linux icons and widgets.

But there is a very irritating bug in page rendering which should be corrected. So if you are capable to test and vote for that bug here is the address: #406577
derixc
Level 1
Level 1

Post by derixc »

I almost end up using opera after seeing the "not so pleasing look" of text and button rendering in firefox. til firefox 3's release, this widget is a must have for current linux mint users.
TwinShadows
Level 1
Level 1

Post by TwinShadows »

Oh neat, but as much as I'd like to get this, I'm not registering on a forum just to download one file. Kinda stupid IMO.. but this really would make a great thing to have default in Mint.
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Post by merlwiz79 »

TwinShadows wrote:Oh neat, but as much as I'd like to get this, I'm not registering on a forum just to download one file. Kinda stupid IMO.. but this really would make a great thing to have default in Mint.
TwinShadows
Level 1
Level 1

Post by TwinShadows »

ominousluv wrote:
TwinShadows wrote:Oh neat, but as much as I'd like to get this, I'm not registering on a forum just to download one file. Kinda stupid IMO.. but this really would make a great thing to have default in Mint.
Any Ubuntu or Mint user should be registered at ubuntuforums.org anyway. That's where I learn all the best ways to break my computer :wink:
I already know how to break Mint. =P I've broken Windows on numerous occasions, and I've broke Mint 3 and 4 a few times as well. (haven't had much time on 5 yet, still working on it)

Plus, I'm not a heavy Linux user since I have too many programs that rely on Windows. I only put it on my laptop since I'm not doing much with my laptop to begin with, so it's not like I need Windows for anything on here.

And merlwiz79, arigatou. ^_^ (means 'Thank you' if ya don't know Japanese)
uskomaton

Post by uskomaton »

Thanks for the file, merlwiz79 :)
Acid_1
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Acid_1 »

I use opera and got rid of firefox. The color's and look and all that was fine. Just it would often times do the grey freeze, more often than not, and bring my entire pc with it, so I got rid of it.
emorrp1

Post by emorrp1 »

Just a warning: this isn't needed as of Elyssa, as FF3 has native linux inputs
olduser
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Firefox widgets - obsolete with Firefox 3

Post by olduser »

I was browsing LXer this morning and saw a post on how to install Firefox 3.5 on ubuntu based distro's
it is a deb file from sourceforge and its called Ubuntuzilla !! :D
I downloaded it an installit while having my brekkies. totaly painless and you get updates from mozzila as they come out.
to read the howto (not realy needed) go to www.maketecheasier.com .If you dont read the how yo the only thing to watch After clicking 'y' to all prompts is when it gets to generating the key at the end their is a pause of approx 1 min.

hope you like it It Works for me

Olduser
Kaye

Post by Kaye »

olduser wrote:I was browsing LXer this morning and saw a post on how to install Firefox 3.5 on ubuntu based distro's
it is a deb file from sourceforge and its called Ubuntuzilla !! :D
I downloaded it an installit while having my brekkies. totaly painless and you get updates from mozzila as they come out.
to read the howto (not realy needed) go to http://www.maketecheasier.com .If you dont read the how yo the only thing to watch After clicking 'y' to all prompts is when it gets to generating the key at the end their is a pause of approx 1 min.

hope you like it It Works for me

Olduser
What does any of this have to do with anything?
olduser
Level 1
Level 1

Post by olduser »

If you dont want to update fire fox I don't care
by by
emorrp1

Post by emorrp1 »

olduser: kaye was just pointing out that your post has nothing to do with this topic. Also, see http://www.linuxmint.com/blog/?p=958
Husse

Post by Husse »

THIS IS OBSOLETE!!!!
The subject is
I'll lock the topic

Return to “Software & Applications”