When will OO3 be in the repository?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
msuggs

Re: When will OO3 be in the repository?

Post by msuggs »

I'd imagine it won't officially appear until Mint 6 but someone may build a community based release.

In the meantime you could try something like this to get it working. It won't be as well integrated as 2.4 but it works well and has some nice improvements.

Use Synaptic to remove all openoffice 2.4 components

Download the Debian based tar.gz file for openoffice 3 from the openoffice.org site to your desktop

Right click on the downloaded file and choose 'extract here'

Navigate into the folder it creates. Right click and choose 'Open Terminal here'

In the terminal type

Code: Select all

sudo dpkg -i *.deb
Once completed navigate into the desktop integration folder and install the desktop integration deb by double clicking on it and installing with gdebi. This will give you your menu entries
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
BinfordsTool

Post by BinfordsTool »

I also found in the terminal I needed to run

sudo apt-get autoremove openoffice.org
followed by

sudo apt-get autoremove openoffice.org-core
After that I followed your above instructions and now everything is working fine. I followed this up by going into the package manager and removing residual configs
locutus
Level 4
Level 4

Post by locutus »

I followed the instructions of both the above posts and everything works perfectly. Many thanks.
pluraldave

Post by pluraldave »

I just installed this and it's a complete disaster. Calc doesn't display .xls files properly and their vba macros won't run. Roll back to 2.4 for now...
AK Dave

Post by AK Dave »

Wierd. Been using 3.0b for a while now, alongside 2.4. Much prefer 3.0 and have zero problems with .xls compatability, while 2.4 had loads of problems for me.
Adler
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Adler »

Hi All,

Will the next release of MINT include OpenOffice 3.0?

I'm running openSuSE 11.0 right now. I can't seem to find any repositories to go to 3.0 .UBUNTU Ibex doesn't seem to go to 3.0.

I go back and forth between .deb and .rpm distros.

Hey, where can I get Open Office 3.0 going with MINT?
Adler

Wildwood, New Jersey -- On The Jersey Shore
What Doesn't Kill Me, Makes Me Stronger - Friedrich Nietzsche - Was mich nicht umbringt, macht mich starker
Adler's Home @ http://www.jjmacey.net/, And Where I Have Been.
Blog @ http://jjmacey.net/blog/
--H--

Post by --H-- »

Adler wrote:
Hey, where can I get Open Office 3.0 going with MINT?
Within the first couple of posts of this thread?
Lantesh

Post by Lantesh »

These are the instructions I followed. I'm trying to remember where I got them. It might have been from Ubuntu Geek.
You can replace Ubuntu 8.04’s now outdated version of OpenOffice, or keep both versions installed at the same time. It’s not clear whether OpenOffice 3.0 will be available in Ubuntu 8.10, so I’ve tested these instructions with it as well.

1. Visit the download page, and select the Linux DEB download. The download should be about 150 MB. Extract the tar.gz archive.
2. OpenOffice is very complex software, and consists 47 packages. The easiest way to install them all is using the terminal. Use dpkg to install all of the packages in the DEBS subdirectory (command is one line, you will be prompted for your password):
sudo dpkg -i ~/Desktop/OOO300_m9_native_packed-1_en-US.9358/DEBS/*.deb
3. If you’re happy with OpenOffice 3.0, you can optionally remove the older Ubuntu-provided version. Note that removing the old OpenOffice will also remove the ubuntu-desktop metapackage, so don’t do this if you want to be able to upgrade Ubuntu to a new major version.
sudo apt-get remove openoffice.org openoffice.org-base openoffice.org-base-core openoffice.org-calc openoffice.org-common openoffice.org-core openoffice.org-draw openoffice.org-evolution openoffice.org-filter-mobiledev openoffice.org-gnome openoffice.org-gtk openoffice.org-help-en-us openoffice.org-impress openoffice.org-java-common openoffice.org-l10n-common openoffice.org-l10n-en-gb openoffice.org-l10n-en-za openoffice.org-math openoffice.org-style-human openoffice.org-writer
4. Once the old version of OpenOffice has been removed, you will be able to install the package that provides menu items for OpenOffice 3.0:
sudo dpkg -i ~/Desktop/OOO300_m9_native_packed-1_en-US.9358/DEBS/desktop-integration/openoffice.org3.0-debian-menus_3.0-9354_all.deb

[update] If you chose to keep the old version of OpenOffice installed, you’ll have to create your own menu items. Use this command to run OpenOffice 3:
/opt/openoffice.org3/program/soffice
5. One last step is to associate the document formats to open with OpenOffice 3.0. To do this, right-click on a document file and select Open With->Open With Other Application. Then select the appropriate OpenOffice component for that file.

If you want to remove OpenOffice 3.0, here the huge command to do so:
sudo apt-get remove ooobasis3.0-base ooobasis3.0-binfilter ooobasis3.0-calc ooobasis3.0-core01 ooobasis3.0-core02 ooobasis3.0-core03 ooobasis3.0-core04 ooobasis3.0-core05 ooobasis3.0-core06 ooobasis3.0-core07 ooobasis3.0-draw ooobasis3.0-en-us ooobasis3.0-en-us-base ooobasis3.0-en-us-binfilter ooobasis3.0-en-us-calc ooobasis3.0-en-us-draw ooobasis3.0-en-us-help ooobasis3.0-en-us-impress ooobasis3.0-en-us-math ooobasis3.0-en-us-res ooobasis3.0-en-us-writer ooobasis3.0-gnome-integration ooobasis3.0-graphicfilter ooobasis3.0-images ooobasis3.0-impress ooobasis3.0-javafilter ooobasis3.0-kde-integration ooobasis3.0-math ooobasis3.0-onlineupdate ooobasis3.0-ooofonts ooobasis3.0-ooolinguistic ooobasis3.0-pyuno ooobasis3.0-testtool ooobasis3.0-writer ooobasis3.0-xsltfilter openoffice.org3 openoffice.org3-base openoffice.org3-calc openoffice.org3-dict-en openoffice.org3-dict-es openoffice.org3-dict-fr openoffice.org3-draw openoffice.org3-en-us openoffice.org3-impress openoffice.org3-math openoffice.org3-writer openoffice.org-ure
Raffael
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Raffael »

Read this http://www.tectonic.co.za/?p=3447

If OO 3 won't be in Ubuntu 8.10 I don't know if Linux Mint Team will include it Linux Mint 6.
Adler
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Adler »

Hi All,

This whole issue with OpenOffice 3.0 and UBUNTU seems to have taken on a life of its own.

I'd been running Mint for a long time, got a new Notebook, and I was between MINT releases and wanted the latest thing. I opted for openSuSE 11.0.

It seems that when I up-dated my system last night I got OpenOffice 3.0.

According to DistroWatch.com UBUNTU, openSuSE, and Mint are the top 3.

It does seem a little strange that UBUNTU / MINT might be missing out on the latest out there.

I pass this along just to show what the competition is doing...
Adler

Wildwood, New Jersey -- On The Jersey Shore
What Doesn't Kill Me, Makes Me Stronger - Friedrich Nietzsche - Was mich nicht umbringt, macht mich starker
Adler's Home @ http://www.jjmacey.net/, And Where I Have Been.
Blog @ http://jjmacey.net/blog/
msuggs

Post by msuggs »

I can understand why Ubuntu hasn't put 3.0 into Intrepid although it seems a strange decision for a 'cutting edge' release. For the complainers it seems a fairly easy process to upgrade to 3.0 via launchpad.

Here's hoping the extra month or so gives Clem time to put it into Mint 6 :)
rivenought

Post by rivenought »

Mandriva 2009 has OpenOffice 3.0 included. It works fine. But then again, my OpenOffice 2.4.0 in Mint has been a flawless performer since I installed it in June.

I read some threads over at Ubuntu. Their reasoning made sense for the default install, with a 3.0 upgrade to be made available soon.
cato40
Level 4
Level 4

Post by cato40 »

I shall try the procedure. Thanks once again. I shall inform you how it went.
cato40
rickpref

Post by rickpref »

The first post is what worked for me...took 10 minutes to get it up and running.

Thanks

Return to “Software & Applications”