mintBackup never stops

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
BMJ59

mintBackup never stops

Post by BMJ59 »

Hello, new on Linux. Have used mint for about 3 months.
Trying to use mintBackup, for backing up my homefolder. My homefolder is huge with lots of music and stuff, around 30Gb.
But every time I start the backup it uses 4-5 hours and do not seem to stop. I even let it run over night, but it was not done yet.
Is it normal for mintBackup to use this amount of time.

Running Elyssa R1
SATA disk, Core 2 Duo E8400, 4Gb RAM

Hope for some answer, or perhaps there is other backup -tools that work better ? :D

Hilsen fra Norge7 Grettings from Norway

from BMJ
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: mintBackup never stops

Post by Husse »

Where do you put the file you save to?
If you put it in home and back up the entire home you will end up going in circles...
BMJ59

Post by BMJ59 »

Hello, and thanks for answering me.
I have searched the application mintbackup, and I can't find any way to change the default place it places the backupfile. :(
By default mintbackup backs--up in the home directory ( I think I am right here).
Can you help me change that, maybee it will work also.

(And what about teling all other new users that this must be changed to help them out making the same mistake I made)

Hope for answer soon...

with thanks
BMJ from Norway
Husse

Post by Husse »

I obviously don't know enough about mintBackup, no idea really - I tried it and it made a backup, put it in home and stopped after a while, but I could not kill it.... (but that could be a bad spelling)
BILL777

Post by BILL777 »

My Mint backup goes for 5min, completes 100% of .icedteaplugin...., then hangs, at about 2200 of 60000 files
will not stop or exit, has to be put down.

I can find no detailed log report. The backup does not allow me to skip. :cry:

I'm using Helena8, backing tar.bz2 to a file in an external drive via usb.

I has been suggested that i could make an exception of .icedteaplugin, but that seems wrong; if it has completed the 100% of that, it's the next thing it does that is the problem. But I don't know what that is. Then I might hit another & another blockage.
In any case, the exceptions panel refuses to find the java files, to make an exception there.

It may be that I need to run in sudo (how?), or change ownership of certain files (which files? how?).

Suggestions, please?

Return to “Software & Applications”