Can't Install Daryna on an AMD System

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Fred

Re: Can't Install Daryna on an AMD System

Post by Fred »

eagle,

Greetings,

I don't see any reason why you shouldn't be able to use this Asus AMD board. I have used AMD with no problem before.

I am more inclined to think there might be a problem with the partitioning.

What does your partition table look like. What kind of partitions do you have and where.

Fred
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Fred

Post by Fred »

Ok,
I think what I would do is go in with GParted and look at what is there. Delete any partitions you see and start over.

I would not set any lables on the partitions. I would set the first partition an ext2 primary partition of 500 MB to be used later as a /boot partition for Mint 4. I would do this so I could use it as a master boot grub for any other distros you might later decide to put on this or other hard disks in the system.

The second partition I would set as a primary swap partition of 2 Gig. This would be used as the swap partition for all the distros you might someday install.

I would make all the other partitions logical extended partitions and save your last primary partition for some unknown use at a later date. It will of course be the last partition on the drive, when used.

The third partition would be an extended logical partition to be used as / (root) for Mint 4. It should be ext3 and about 10-12 Gig. for a general use desktop.

The fourth partition would be an ext3 extended logical partition to be used as /home for Mint 4. Make it whatever size you think you might need. Don't over do it though. It will be faster if smaller. 20 Gig. is a good round number, and you can always expand it later.

After the table is committed you will probably be missing sda3. It is a place holder. sda4 and sda5 are what you will see the extended partitions as.

Now go to the installer and format and mount these partitions in manual. Then see if it installs ok.

If that doesn't work come back and we will try something else. Don't panic if the boot screen doesn't come up looking pretty. If it doesn't there is a simple fix.

Fred

Post by Guest »

Thanks for your time Fred, what you outlined is very similar to what I was doing. I found out, however, that it wasn't the partitioning that was my problem.

First, I installed Daryna on my Dad's laptop, and that was quick and painless, and my Dad really likes it. Second, I was able to install Windows on my built system. Anyway, after some more research on the web, I found that my problem was most likely my motherboard. I found several threads on Linux help forums with people having a wide variety of different problems with the model of motherboard that I had. One of the gurus also recommended Gigabyte or Abit motherboards over Asus for Linux compatibility. So I replaced my Asus motherboard with a Gigabyte GA-M61SME-S2. Since then I have no problems, I have installed Daryna and it's working great. So in the future I will most likely be recommending Gigabyte mobos to people that want to be running Linux systems.
NoClue!
Level 3
Level 3

Post by NoClue! »

Too funny!!! Fred you really should have known. From now on all asus amd motherboards get thrown into the river. hahahaaa!
Fred

Post by Fred »

NoClue!,

Yeah you are probably right, I am aware of the many problems with Asus over the years. However, I have recently put Ubuntu and Kubuntu on the ASUS M2N32-SLI Deluxe Wireless Edition AMD boards without issue. The only problem I had was getting the heat and fan speed sensors to work right. So what can I say. lol

Fred

Return to “Installation & Boot”