Boots to Busybox and not to gui desktop

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
NewMexicoMark

Re: Boots to Busybox and not to gui desktop

Post by NewMexicoMark »

I'm having the same problem. (My Compaq Presario V2565 laptop boots to the Elyssa live CD just fine, but after install only boots to "busybox" from the hdd.) FWIW, the HDD is not the original 80 GB HDD, but a newer PATA 120 GB drive. However, I installed another Linux distro just fine. However, after reading some excellent reviews on Mint, I wanted to give it a serious evaluation. While in the live CD, I was very impressed. It handled the Broadcom wireless (and automated fwcutter) just fine. It had some issues going to the proprietary ATI driver, but I attributed that to Live CD weirdness, and was going to work that issue from the installed version. Overall, it looks very good, but I'll need to get past this boot issue.

In my case, I only have one internal PATA HDD. fdisk -l (from the Live CD boot) shows the following:

Device Boot Start End Blocks ID System
/dev/hda1 * 1 14169 113812461 83 Linux
/dev/hda2 14170 14593 3405780 5 Extended
/dev/hda5 14170 14593 3405748+ 82 Linux swap / Solaris

The default boot (from /dev/hda1/boot/grub/menu.lst) is as follows:

title Linux Mint, kernel 2.6.24-16-generic
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.24-16-generic root=/dev/hda1 ro quiet spash
initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.24-16-generic

In order to check the .../boot/grub/menu.lst file from the live CD, I mounted /dev/hda1, so the menu.lst file looks right. Any suggestions on where to go from here?

Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
NewMexicoMark

Re: Boots to Busybox and not to gui desktop

Post by NewMexicoMark »

Interesting...

As I was troubleshooting, I noticed that in busybox ls /dev/, there were no hd* devices, only sd*. I modified the boot command from hda1 to sda1, and it booted. This was for a Compaq Presario V2565US laptop with PATA HDD.

Maybe someone will find this useful.

Return to “Installation & Boot”