Howto: Install Mint from a USB Pendrive/SD

Write tutorials for Linux Mint here
More tutorials on https://github.com/orgs/linuxmint/discu ... /tutorials and (archive) on https://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial
Forum rules
Don't add support questions to tutorials; start your own topic in the appropriate sub-forum instead. Before you post read forum rules
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

And how about writing a version of this guide for people without Windows in the first place?? :roll:
Husse

Post by Husse »

From Linux needs only minor adjustments. I might try to get it working on my pendrive - before I've not had any success
//edit//hmmm - needs a few more thoughts....
carlos
Level 4
Level 4

Post by carlos »

Ede, you should also add this excellent guide to the wiki. And let us know on the forum when you've updated again.
____________ ________ ______ ____ ___ __ __ _
http://www.designdrifter.com
The Purpose of Life is for DNA to reproduce.
silver
Level 2
Level 2

Post by silver »

dosen't seem to work with multi-card readers and 1gig sd cards.

antone get this to work on a sd card??

Ronnie
silver
Level 2
Level 2

it works :)

Post by silver »

I got it to work.

I'm using a usb multi card reader with a 1 gig sd card.

My problem wasn't with the instructions here It was in my cmos setup.

Works great too.

Thanks for the howto.

Ronnie
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Post by merlwiz79 »

eagle wrote:Hey, I was wondering if this would work with the 3.0 Xfce version. I have an old laptop with a trashed CD-R drive, and I don't think it's powerful enough to run Gnome.
I took a quick look and all you would have to change is the iso name in this command:

Code: Select all

sudo mount LinuxMint-3.1.iso mint -o loop
The rest should be the same.
mintmd

Re: Howto: Install Mint from a USB Pendrive/SD

Post by mintmd »

Hi! I too have a trashed CD-R and was wondering if this would work to install the Debian version? Or I may try the Fluxbox version.

Thanks!

Mdmint
Husse

Post by Husse »

Lock at the post immediately above - I think merlwiz79's advice is valid for all (?) versions except the KDE one as the ISO is large - but with a 2GB stick ....
smash102

Post by smash102 »

I had some trouble following this "How To".
It would have been easier to separate the windows and Linux from each other, have steps 1-3 listed right after each other for each system and not mixed like they are.
The most trouble I had was with the first step.
You had me download the file but I didn't see what it was supposed to do.

I could not get the drive to save files to itself or save any settings I made once the computer booted from the USB drive.

I know that this "How To" was intended to allow someone to install Linux from a USB drive and it does just that. I guess I was hoping for a more permanent OS from this install.
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Post by merlwiz79 »

smash102 wrote:I had some trouble following this "How To".
It would have been easier to separate the windows and Linux from each other, have steps 1-3 listed right after each other for each system and not mixed like they are.
The most trouble I had was with the first step.
You had me download the file but I didn't see what it was supposed to do.

I could not get the drive to save files to itself or save any settings I made once the computer booted from the USB drive.

I know that this "How To" was intended to allow someone to install Linux from a USB drive and it does just that. I guess I was hoping for a more permanent OS from this install.
This may help you.
http://www.pendrivelinux.com/2007/09/28 ... n-install/
schmolch

Post by schmolch »

/.* is the parent folder.
jay

Post by jay »

Hi There ,

im new to mint , i have been a suse user for years , i would like to Boot mint from my USB, but before i go through all the instruction steps , i 'd like to know whether with this installation changes made to the live USb are PERSISTENT ???
xvedejas

Post by xvedejas »

When I try to use the command "sudo cp -r mint/.* /media/cdrom0" it tries to copy my entire home directory?
Husse

Post by Husse »

xvedejas wrote:When I try to use the command "sudo cp -r mint/.* /media/cdrom0" it tries to copy my entire home directory?
What do you expect?
Before you use command line commands learn a little about them
And the result of the above command depends on which folder you are in and if there is something called mint there
xvedejas

Post by xvedejas »

Okay, whatever...

Can anyone help me now? I got it to boot from the USB, and after typing in "live noapic" it begins to boot (I get the linux mint logo and progress bar) and it seems to load all the way...

...but then it goes to a white-text-on-black screen and every few seconds says;

Buffer I/O error on device fd0, logical block 0
What does this mean? What did I do wrong? I followed the guide almost exactly, and I used the mint xfce beta .iso file.
jo_3

Post by jo_3 »

I have a problem with booting from pendrive (Kingston)

I do everything like in guide, step by step.

When I reboot pc with prepared Flash (ldlinux.sys, unpacked by WinRAR iso, changed names of folder and file) last what I see is message:

Could notfing kernel image: linux
Boot: 
pendrive in fat32
I've tried with few ISOs, not only with Mint, that was ma last hope...

I've found also some advices like placing everywhere "vmlinuz" and "initrd", or make another folder "install". I didn't try any.

Please.... HELP... My windows is so horrible... it hangs around 2 times for 45 minutes. I have a stupid habit, when i write something with pen and paper, I involuntary look for ctrl+s... Sick, istn't it? : )
xvedejas

Post by xvedejas »

jo_3 wrote:I have a problem with booting from pendrive (Kingston)

I do everything like in guide, step by step.

When I reboot pc with prepared Flash (ldlinux.sys, unpacked by WinRAR iso, changed names of folder and file) last what I see is message:

Could notfing kernel image: linux
Boot: 
pendrive in fat32
I've tried with few ISOs, not only with Mint, that was ma last hope...

I've found also some advices like placing everywhere "vmlinuz" and "initrd", or make another folder "install". I didn't try any.
I'm not sure why, but I had this problem too. I redid the entire guide almost exactly and I at least got past that. I think its because I tried doing the partitioning through gparted, that didn't work at all.
xvedejas

Post by xvedejas »

Okay, I can't tell you how many times I've gone through this guide, I can't get it to work.... It never lets me mount my USB drive, the only way I can is to manually reinsert the drive...

Unless I'm doing something wrong, the only thing I really differed from the guide was that I used a much newer version of syslinux...
xvedejas

Post by xvedejas »

Hey EI, It's me (Zoris) hope you get it working... I'm going to try and help a friend get it working now, hope it actually does something...

Ede: In linux mint 5.0 beta.
L@u

Post by L@u »

Hi,

I have used your tutorial to install Ubuntu server 8.04, on a PC without a CD-ROM, it worked great ... till the machine complained it could not mount a CD-ROM !
I can not get passed this point ! !

Any ideas, anyone ?

Cheers,
L@u

Return to “Tutorials”