How to configure Mplayer

Write tutorials for Linux Mint here
More tutorials on https://github.com/orgs/linuxmint/discu ... /tutorials and (archive) on https://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial
Forum rules
Don't add support questions to tutorials; start your own topic in the appropriate sub-forum instead. Before you post read forum rules
nick
Level 5
Level 5

How to configure Mplayer

Post by nick »

I have answered this in forums many (many) times so I thought I would put it here :)
When Mplayer is first used it (usually) needs configuring before playing

Open Mplayer, Right click on screen, select Audio, choose alsa, Select Video x11, close

When Mplayer opens in Firefox to view streaming video, audio, you "might" have to repeat the process.

If like me, you use Konqueror as a Browser, install Kmplayer.
If (for some reason) you wish to watch BBC, first if you accept cookies, refuse BBC's when the BBC
window opens with "preferences" choose "windows media player"

Nick
rokky
Level 1
Level 1

Which X11 video?

Post by rokky »

1. Select "preferences" after bringing up the mplayer right-click menu.

2. There are 5 choices specifying "X11" in the description: xv, x11, gl, gl2, xvidix -- experiment to see which one works for your system.

rokky
dummy

Re: How to configure Mplayer

Post by dummy »

Hello

I'm a complete newbie in linux, so I already feel bad for what I'm going to ask ...

You once said in this forum ...
nick wrote: When Mplayer is first used it (usually) needs configuring before playing

Open Mplayer, Right click on screen, select Audio, choose alsa, Select Video x11, close

When Mplayer opens in Firefox to view streaming video, audio, you "might" have to repeat the process.
Nick
My problem also started with "Error opening/initializing the selected video_out (-vo) device" when trying to run a *.avi movie with the Mplayer. However, now that I changed some stuff in the Mplayer according to your hint, I get "Could not open/initialize audio device -> no sound." Indeed, I can't hear a thing anymore. Even the videos on youtube have become quiet. Amarok doesn't want to start anymore and the Totem Movie Player has to be closed by brute force (this I noticed for the first time when I wanted to run the *.avi file mentioned above ... meanwhile Mplayer is my default *.avi player). The thing is that initially things seemed to work fine (the Mplayer plugin, *.mp4 movies, sound with Amarok, it was OK).

I have a Dell Inspiron 6000, in case that helps.

Could you or, of course, anybody else help me out here :?:

Cheers,
dummy.
dummy

Post by dummy »

I'm sorry, as with my previous problem, restarting the computer solved it all. I'm starting to wonder whether that's a particular feature of Linux ... Thanks anyway, cheers,
dummy.
gadi
Level 2
Level 2

Post by gadi »

Hey, got a problem...
I have a wide monitor (1280x768 is my resolution) and when I open a file the video is largert than I want. I mean, if I put the video in fullscreen, it is in 1280x760, when I need 1024x768 to view the video correctly.

Any idea?
Thanks

PD: Sorry if it is not the place for posting it.
Acid_1
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Acid_1 »

If you're having issues with Mplayer, you could try using Smplayer. It's a nice front-end to Mplayer, and it's easy to configure.

Return to “Tutorials”