Mint Backup suggestions

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
JohnH
Level 4
Level 4

Mint Backup suggestions

Post by JohnH »

Hi there,

I used Mint Backup for the first time today and would make the following suggestions. They are a little obvious so I do not wish to offend the developers, but if nothing said then perhaps it may slip by.

1. With the hidden directories option a "select all" option would be handy.
2. Having an option to select the place to save the backup would also be useful. I don't know where the back up is going to. I would like to put it on an external drive but I could not see and option to do so.

Best regards
John
If you get too big for your britches, you will be exposed in the end.
Husse

Re: Mint Backup suggestions

Post by Husse »

mintBackup is to have an overhaul and we are (painfully) aware of the problem with where to save the backup
leandroribeiro

Post by leandroribeiro »

MinBackup it's growing to be a great tool! :)

In addition to the above suggestions (the "save backup to external drive" is a MUST! After all, what good is a disk backup if the disk burns and the backup is inside it? :wink: ), I've also would love to have a way to schedule backups (daily, weekly, monthly, etc!).

Is there a way to call MintBackup with another schedule app?
Husse

Post by Husse »

I haven't tested but I suppose you could do a cron job (please don't ask me how :) because I have to look it up - don't use cron)
mudslinger

Post by mudslinger »

personal suggestions (that would awesomely suit my current practical use of linux mint):

> backup over network (ftp?) of essential configuration and home folder contents.

> with synchronising option (to the backup destination) with option to auto-resume if backup is interrupted or incomplete.

> option to run silently in background when anyone is logged in or not.

> speed throttling option in case some people don't want the backup to interfere with normal network/cpu operation

(currently looking into a custom arrangement for this - but such features would be handy for many users)
* backup/restore from a FTP location may enhance the flexibility of the distro for those who may do a lot of experimental things but want a regular home drive. And for multi-user scenarios that may be under threat of sabotage. Or even to allow for a roaming profile in a network.
timber

Post by timber »

Just a newbie thinking out loud here.

Freds painless backup script using rsync is sure worth consideration.
I use the Backup and Clean script daily since it's so quick and efficient. (Here I'm speaking of the Backup portion)
I'm a relative newbie to linux and IMO it's very easy to follow the instructions and straightforward to use.
I wouldn't expect a new user to read the script and set up new partitions, fstab and mount point but it seems a backup wizard could be incorporated to ask the same questions that the script does and do much of the setup.
I use a launcher that invokes the script as root ... sit back for a few seconds and it's done.
BTW, thanks for writing that little wonder ... it makes life easy Fred!

Hope you don't mind my 2cents.

timber
gordon.cooke

Post by gordon.cooke »

timber-

can you post the link to the thread ( or whereever) with the script you refer too. I cant seem to find it. Thanks
timber

Post by timber »

Here it is Gordon ... sorry I didn't include it.

http://mintguides.blogspot.com/2008/08/ ... an-up.html

There are a series of variables to edit before running the script, it's all self explanatory but you need to be sure to read through the script first.

One word of caution, if you don't want to delete all (OLDKERNELS), kernels other than the latest then be sure to comment out (#) the line "sudo aptitude -y purge $OLDKERNELS" (approximately 23 lines below
# # Begin - Begin --- Start of Clean-Up Utility v 1.4b)
(Sometimes it's nice to leave a backup kernel, especially with a newly installed release)

I find this script very handy and really like the way it sorts and categorises the backup.

enjoy,

timber

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”