Install msttcorefonts By Default

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
Fred

Re: Install msttcorefonts By Default

Post by Fred »

solarwind,

They can't be installed by default. They belong to Microsoft. It is a licensing issue. You , as a user, can install them but Mint can't distribute them without incurring Microsoft's wrath.

Fred
Guestman

Post by Guestman »

solarwind wrote:These fonts make the web look better so I think they should be installed by default.
Hmm really? I'm not agree with that! In firefox I use fonts from DejaVu (or Bistream Vera) family and the web is very good! No need for Arial, Comic, Times etc...

But you must also think in the preferences, to uncheck the box "Allowing pages to choose their own fonts instead of those chosen above" :idea:
badmotor

Post by badmotor »

Yeah, I'm gonna have to disagree here also. Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder (:D) - I was using msttcorefonts in Daryna, and when I installed Elyssa, the default linux (from Fedora or something like that?) ones were way better for the web experience. Yep, no font complaints here.
rivenought

Post by rivenought »

It is good that there is the option available to those who wish to install Microsoft fonts. I am one that prefers the choice to NOT install them. The default fonts in Linux Mint 5 work just fine for my needs. Liberation and DejaVu are great choices, therefore allowing one to no longer be shackled by the Microsoft chain.

I also adjusted Firefox and Thunderbird to use my choice of fonts and not the fonts a website or correspondent uses. That way, I get a consistent experience all over my system with my Liberation fonts. It works for me.

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”