Got 4.0 up and running at home.. finally...

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
phantommaggot
Level 2
Level 2

Got 4.0 up and running at home.. finally...

Post by phantommaggot »

ok
so i made a 10 gig part on my home pc so i could play with this
my new drive is on the way (thanks newegg)
im only getting a 320Gb tho

anyways
i want to tool with this to make sure i can get all the settings right and whatnot before i go installing it for good..

so heres whats up now.

i ran envy, used the manual install option and picked the 96.43.01 nvidia driver
(i have a bfg 6600 gt)
i run glxgears and have the gears
when i type compiz in the terminal it starts, says i dont have xgl, and kind of takes a crap. i get the cube.. but only on ctrl alt <- ->

i tried copying the terminal so i could paste it here but it did something weird to my keyboard, so i ctrl alt bkspce and logged back in..

what do i need to check, get so on..

O also i havent done the updates yet..

ive noticed on previous installs of ubuntu or mint that once i update i loose my internet(it quits picking up my wireless card)

anyway, help is more than welcome
i havent really touched linux in a couple months so im starting all over

thanks
-J
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
phantommaggot
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Got 4.0 up and running at home.. finally...

Post by phantommaggot »

heres my terminal readout
i installed xgl in synaptic
and the compiz config thing
sorry i dont know the code for the terminal stuff

josh@MintMaggot:~$ compiz
Checking for Xgl: not present.
Detected PCI ID for VGA: 01:00.0 0300: 10de:0140 (rev a2) (prog-if 00 [VGA])
Checking for texture_from_pixmap: present.
Checking for non power of two support: present.
Checking for Composite extension: present.
Comparing resolution (1280x1024) to maximum 3D texture size (4096): Passed.
Checking for nVidia: present.
Checking for FBConfig: present.
Checking for Xgl: not present.
Starting gtk-window-decorator
/usr/bin/compiz.real (core) - Warn: SmcOpenConnection failed: Could not open network socket
GConf backend: There is an unsupported value at path /apps/compiz/general/allscreens/options/texture_filter. Settings from this path won't be read. Try to remove that value so that operation can continue properly.
GConf backend: There is an unsupported value at path /apps/compiz/general/allscreens/options/texture_filter. Settings from this path won't be read. Try to remove that value so that operation can continue properly.
/usr/bin/compiz.real (cube) - Warn: Failed to load slide: freedesktop
/usr/bin/compiz.real (cube) - Warn: Failed to load slide: /usr/share/backgrounds/bianca-blue.png

gonna try a restart and such

**after restart
it found xgl but still had this part..

/usr/bin/compiz.real (cube) - Warn: Failed to load slide: /usr/share/backgrounds/bianca-blue.png

so what do i do.. im gonna attempt the updates..

O and one more thing
once i close the terminal i loose my title bar n such and i cant type in firefox..
so i ctrl alt bkspc. last time i did that i went to actions and shutdown and it went to this SUPER gay blue wallpaper with a BIG flower and it requested my name and password before it would shut down... what was that about..

anyways..
thanks again
McLovin

Post by McLovin »

when you install xgl through synaptic, it may have installed the basic core package, but not everything, you could try going into the termonal and entering this code

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install xserver-xgl
that will install the entire xgl package, this may solve your problem, it may not, there is only one way to tell, try it. Also, go back into synaptic and remove the compiz config that you installed, I doubt that synaptic installed the entire package judging from your error codes, once you remove the packageyou installed, go back into the terminal and enter

sudo apt-get install compizconfig-settings-manager
that will install the entire compiz config tool as wel. hopefully this helps, let know how it turns out.
phantommaggot
Level 2
Level 2

Post by phantommaggot »

didnt work
it keeps up with that
/usr/bin/compiz.real (core) - Warn: SmcOpenConnection failed: Could not open network socket
crap..
i dont get it..

cause the cube is there, as the alt tabber
how do i get it back to metacity till i fix compiz?
McLovin

Post by McLovin »

to enable metacity, just alt=f2 and enter

metacity --replace
don't forget the space between "metacity" and the "--replace" then go into your sessions manager and disable compiz on startup
phantommaggot
Level 2
Level 2

Post by phantommaggot »

OK
well i just went with a fresh install.
then i did the updates
then i ran envy
then i did apt-get for xgl then compiz config
seemed as if as soon as i ran apt get for compiz config i was running compiz..
so if i tried to go to the terminal and type compiz it would ruin everything..
BUT
everything is fine now..
but i have a couple more questions
do i need anything at all from automatix... like the dvd codecs or anything that mint just couldnt include?

and
2 things are missing from compiz that i loved in beryl
how do i get it to see my scroll wheel so when i roll it the cube rolls, and when i press it i grab the cube?
and i really liked being able to double click the title bar and have the window just "roll" up into it..
can i get those back?

otherwise Daryna is looking amazing!!

thanks for the help so far McLovin
McLovin

Post by McLovin »

the scroll wheel, not sure aboutthat one, as for the roll up animation, that's easy, just go to animations in the compiz config, and go to shade animation and just edit to roll-up
phantommaggot
Level 2
Level 2

Post by phantommaggot »

thats what i thought
but it still wont work.

when i double click the title bar it just expands to full screen..
McLovin

Post by McLovin »

do you have snapping windows enabled? if so disable it and enable wobbly windows, that may be the reason, not sure though, but worth a try. also enable emerald, i think metacity overrides the rollup effect with the maximize window command. thats how mine is set-up and i have the rollup and roll down working flawlessly.
phantommaggot
Level 2
Level 2

Post by phantommaggot »

do i just run emerald in the terminal?
come to think of it,
i have never "ran" compiz. it just kind of started on its own as soon as i got the settings editor
so it is probably still running metacity.

so, i wonder if emerald is missing..

and according to synaptic it is... so is it
so it it just

sudo apt-get install Emerald
and one more thing..

why is my memory always in full use
this is another thing that made me quit using linux the last time.
im using the system monitor on the panel, it says.. 44% by programs and 55% by cache... but nothing is using my swap
i have a gig of ram, and a gig of swap.
McLovin

Post by McLovin »

you are almost right about the emerald command, but you want to make sure you type it in all lower case, no caps at all, ie:

sudo apt-get install emerald
and remember that emerald does not come with any themes installed, you have to get some themes from someplace like Gnome-look. as for why your mem is using so much, do you have any animated plugins running, like an animated widget? that will eat memory, also there is currently a memory leak in the mint-menu that the guys are working on now, that may be some of it as well.
phantommaggot
Level 2
Level 2

Post by phantommaggot »

ya, i figured out the emerald code lol
and im gonna guess that mem leak is my memory problem.. since it dosent start out like that, it slowly goes up and then stays up
but that still didnt fix my title bar thing...
or do i have to be using an emerald theme for that to work... (on gnome look, do i use the compiz themes, or the beryl themes for emerald.. or would they both work?)
im gonna ask on the compiz forum about my scroll wheel, and why it wont work, and im gonna slip in the title bar issue as well..
only problem i have left personally now is that in firefox it keeps doing this verizon search garbage
like if i type gmail in the address bar, it does some ghey verizon search instead of just going to gmail.
how do i tell it to just go to the site, or google search if it dosent find a site?
McLovin

Post by McLovin »

yea, you can use either beryl or compiz themes, thay are the same thing, emerald.
as for the firefox search, that's an easy one, just click on the arrow next to what ever the icon is at the search box, and the select your proffered search engine.
phantommaggot
Level 2
Level 2

Post by phantommaggot »

ya, i got a good theme, and my title bar started working

also, i wasnt talking about the search bar, but the address bar.

first time ever ive used firefox and i cant just type gmail in the addy bar and get there..
now i have to ctrl enter it so i get www. .com on there..

everything else is going fine.

i downloaded deluge since the new azureus is kinda stupid.. its working fine

now im trying to get my pc completely themed..
mostly im trying to figure if i get gtk themes if thats what makes the background in my programs dark too.
and im trying to figure how to get the clock n stuff to have transparent backgrounds or something cause when i change the panel wallpaper it looks bad with the theme original panel wallpaper still behind some of the stuff

anyways
thanks again.
stupid ups delayed shipment according to my tracking number
its about an hour away and its gonna sit there till the 7th.. :evil:
so thats a few more days to play and tweak to get this where i like it before i go for the permanent install

Return to “Other topics”