Any chance for Linux Mint multi-edition DVD?

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Raffael
Level 1
Level 1

Any chance for Linux Mint multi-edition DVD?

Post by Raffael »

Ok, maybe this question was asked earlier, but now as we have Gnome (main), Light, KDE, FluxBox, XFCE and last but not least x64 Edition is there any chance that there will be a DVD with all of those editions of Linux Mint 6 so we can test them Live form the DVD or install the one we want. It would be much easier to have one disc than 6 CDs.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: Any chance for Linux Mint multi-edition DVD?

Post by Husse »

Well this one disk would have to be as large as the other disks combined
mikpap
Level 2
Level 2

Post by mikpap »

Great idea, no matter what the size of such an iso image would be. It would be fantastic...
Raffael
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Raffael »

Husse wrote:Well this one disk would have to be as large as the other disks combined
6 Editions * 700 MB = 4200 MB = 1 DVD :)
rivenought

Post by rivenought »

A Mint 4.2 GB DVD makes for a bigger monster than the 3.4 GB openSUSE DVD. That openSUSE DVD took an extremely loooooong time to download via torrent. I am talking DAYS, here. For those of us who barely have broadband, I would prefer that a Mint GNOME Main CD version always be available. Just sharing my thoughts...
Raffael
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Raffael »

rivenought wrote:A Mint 4.2 GB DVD makes for a bigger monster than the 3.4 GB openSUSE DVD. That openSUSE DVD took an extremely loooooong time to download via torrent. I am talking DAYS, here. For those of us who barely have broadband, I would prefer that a Mint GNOME Main CD version always be available. Just sharing my thoughts...
I'm not saying that it should be instead of CD editions but alongside.
rivenought

Post by rivenought »

I can go with "alongside," since openSUSE (and Mandriva, amongst others) offers the same options you mention. Once the giant openSUSE DVD is downloaded, practically everything I need is already in the repository included on the DVD. Back when I did not have an Internet connection, openSUSE's "kitchen-sink" approach was quite handy.
campamax

Related question

Post by campamax »

Hi all. I am a Linux newbie (well, I have been occasionally using Puppy for more than a year now to learn something more about Linux) who a couple of months ago decided to make a dual boot with WinXP and Elyssa on my corporate laptop (leaving the ntldr not to interfere too much with the corporate install...).

I am happy with Mint, that at the moment gave me very little problems (occasional disconnection form my wireless router), but I would like to discover more - first of all, with so many people speaking so well about KDE, which desktop environment is closer to my needs. I so started downloading OpenSUSE to test a KDE4 desktop on a different "famous" distribution, when I suddenly wondered: is there a way to ADD the KDE desktop to an existing Elyssa standard install? Is this something I can do someway starting from the Mint KDE DVD, or can I do that by the repos? I tried to look into the Elyssa software portal and in the removed site, but there seems to be nothing called KDE.

Can anyone help??

Thans a lot
___
campamax
kanishka
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kanishka »

I second the idea of an all-minty DVD. It would be very handy for "broadbanded" people :)
terrorblader

Post by terrorblader »

Thumbs up from me too.I am actually curious to try XFCE & FluxBox (never tried them).
campamax

Post by campamax »

kanishka wrote:I second the idea of an all-minty DVD. It would be very handy for "broadbanded" people :)
Me too, if it is then possible to access it as a repository to select what to add to the install.
Good idea!
___
campamax

EDIT:
I tried to add the CD as a repo, but failed. The I mounted the squashfs file in it, but I was not capable to go any further.
Could anyone more experienced than me try to help?? Thanks a lot!!
Raffael
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Raffael »

Maybe this: http://www.magiciso.com/tutorials/miso- ... -os-cd.htm will be some help for those who wnat to make this on their own.
Raffael
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Raffael »

I've found out that there is already something like that but with Ubuntu flavors. It's called ningi http://www.ubuntu-hr.org/ningi/ . I think it would be a good idea to analyze their DVD so we would have clues how to build Linux Mint DVD.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”