Why I am coming back to Mint

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Re: Why I am coming back to Mint

Post by exploder »

ctsdownloads, I feel your pain with Hardy development. I have reported several bugs and they just seem to shuffle them around without ever providing any answers. I have been involved in the last two development cycles and I can say without a doubt that I have never seen so much breakage in my life! In it's current state Hardy is a big step backwards in many respects.

I keep seeing references to Hardy+1 as far as features being completed. What kind of stupid move is that? Hardy is supposed to compete with Red Hat and Novell as an enterprise solution. How can they be competitive when they are going to release incomplete work? If I were an IT Manager looking at Linux at a serious level, I would not even consider Ubuntu at this point. If anything, Hardy is making Windows look like a better choice because of the massive amount of extremely obvious bugs and short comings.

When I look at Clem's road map for Mint 5, I can see he has a more thought out approach. The Mint tools are looking better than ever, they are feature rich, refined and user friendly. Clem has addressed many of the things people would like to see too. The new themes are one example. Mint has always had better hardware support despite using a Ubuntu base and I am confident this will be the same with Mint 5.

Ubuntu simply does not interact with it's community very well and does not respond to the needs of it's user's. Ubuntu could learn a lot from Mint development.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
cutiger95

Post by cutiger95 »

The support and the compatibility are the reasons that I will not leave Mint. I am even pushing it on forums here there and everywhere that I find people discussing ubuntu.

Mint to me simply works and since I converted from ubuntu I will not be going back. If Clem decided that we were going to use Suse as a base engine I would stay. Whatever I am here.
jbaerbock
Level 4
Level 4

Post by jbaerbock »

You do know you can just edit the blacklist file and add blacklist bcm43xx to the list and it will blacklist it for good right?
luke.varnadore

Post by luke.varnadore »

Score another loyalist, this refinement is definitely what a lot of us have been looking for, I have a problem with the bcm4311 rev 01 and if I am able to get it up in Mint, as poor of a student as I am, I am going to donate!!

P.S. - I didn't even have to create a user account to post this? This is what I call open! Thanks Clem! (and website guy)
Husse

Post by Husse »

@ jbaerbock
What is discussed in this topic is an error that appears before you have any chance of blacklisting.
Some Broadcom chips gives an error "something about microcode" before you are able to boot and if my memory serves me right you can't boot the live CD at all
jadephyre

Post by jadephyre »

i have the same problem, at least i think so... in Linux Mint 4 which i'm currently using i have to define NO additional boot parameters to successfully boot into my Mint Desktop.
With the Hardy Beta, and now the Final, i have to add this to even get the LiveCD to boot: noapic nolapic acpi=off all_generic_ide=1
All this just to boot a LiveCD... i also had Ubuntu 7.10 (which worked great by the way) and updated it to Hardy Beta and boy did it take long to boot... it just sat there for about five minutes before i would see the Login-Screen.
Something in Hardy is definately screwed up... well, whatever happens, i will stick with Mint and i will gladly download and install Mint 5 when it hits the Public... my Acer Laptop is a Problem Child, and so far Mint is the only Ubuntu-based Distro that actually runs flawlessly, not forgetting the Fact that i do not have to install additional Stuff to listen to my MP3's or watch DVD's.

Thanks for Mint :)
GrayWizardLinux
Level 6
Level 6

Post by GrayWizardLinux »

I am very pleased to say I never left Mint!

for what it is worth...
Linux Mint - Pure Bliss!
Yellowbelly

Post by Yellowbelly »

Wait, so Linux Mint runs flawlessly with no hurdles or hoops to jump through to make it how you need it?
GrayWizardLinux
Level 6
Level 6

it is very smooth on my machine - but again it does depend on the machine and components, etc. But it is honestly the best and most user-friendly distro out there. no bullshit.
Linux Mint - Pure Bliss!
-iceblade^

Post by -iceblade^ »

i can agree with the above...

i saw it, and thought i'd give it a try, and then completely forgot about it and installed ubuntu... boy, i'm glad i didn't stay there...

i don't understand how Ubuntu can force you to work so much after an install, when Mint has everything... the only thing i think is missing is that add/remove thingy... i haven't had success in making it look like ubuntu's one when i reinstalled it...
Ballpoint Pendragon

Post by Ballpoint Pendragon »

I'm an IT professional, been using MS-Windows in various flavors for over 20 years now. After the wife's PC running Vista crashed for the third time in less than a month, I felt it was time to explore alternatives (or get used to sleeping on the couch). I evaluated 7 other Linux distros before settling on Linux Mint-- I chose it for its user-friendliness, well-considered layout and high performance (my wife's dual-core Pentium no longer runs like a 286). The wife is happy and I'm happy. In fact, last month I removed WinXP from my own workstation and installed Linux Mint on its own brand-new 500GB drive. I still run WinXP, but only as a virtual server under VMware GSX (it gets accessed maybe once every couple of weeks when I feel like playing MSN Spades, which only runs on IE). Given my background I never thought I'd say this, but I'm firmly hooked and happy using Linux Mint. Thanks, Clement, for a wonderful product-- this entire family has left Windows and isn't looking back.
GrayWizardLinux
Level 6
Level 6

Nice and Welcome!
Linux Mint - Pure Bliss!
msuggs

Post by msuggs »

Welcome -iceblade^ and Ballpoint Pendragon :)
msuggs

Post by msuggs »

Welcome Thricemin :)
msuggs

Post by msuggs »

wierdo124 wrote: If i may suggest something, use IETab in Firefox. Spades should work!
IE Tab doesn't work in Linux

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”