Repositories are down!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Repositories are down!

Post by clem »

Hi,

The repositories are currently down. We're aware of it and we're trying to fix them as quick as possible.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Affected parts of the desktop: APT, mintInstall, mintUpdate, Synaptic.

Update (7th July, 4:38pm GMT0): I made a temporary fix. The repository is working at the moment but expect some more downtime later when this gets properly fixed by Michael (d00p).

Clem.
sakol

Re: Repositories are down!

Post by sakol »

thank you I am going to post this problem.
EchoLynx

Post by EchoLynx »

I don't know if it is just me, and I am a newbie so don't take my word for it, but I have been able to download and install drivers/ Blender just fine... are they back up?

-Ian

EDIT: Nevermind- it was the Ubuntu repos that were still up. The mint repos really are down. *gasp*
Rob Brill

Post by Rob Brill »

Hi,
Linux Mint Gnome Main Edition Elyssa Version 5
From Software Portal - Mintinstall
The MInt repos are ok for me. I have updated firefox, installed Exaile
I like both (Rhythmbox and Exaile)
Superkaramba (it does not work of course) It's a program for KDE. - removed
Mistakes, sometimes happen, lol :)

Regards
Roberto
Thomas
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Thomas »

Rob Brill wrote:Hi,
Linux Mint Gnome Main Edition Elyssa Version 5
From Software Portal - Mintinstall
The MInt repos are ok for me. I have updated firefox, installed Exaile
I like both (Rhythmbox and Exaile)
Superkaramba (it does not work of course) It's a program for KDE. - removed
Mistakes, sometimes happen, lol :)

Regards
Roberto
Most of the apps you use are from the Ubuntu repos, however, the Mint tools(and a few other programs) reside in the Mint Repos, so essentially, your programs are fine, you can install nearly any that you want.
Rob Brill

Post by Rob Brill »

Thanks Thomas

I've got ther point.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tonight evening 3 more updates done through MintUpdate
Regards

Roberto :wink:
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

Everything is working again. The good news is that this little incident made me think of how vulnerable mintUpdate was. When our repository goes down, mintUpdate doesn't work because it can't access the rules which define which packages correspond to which safety level. To the user, this doesn't make much sense as most updates come from Ubuntu and even though their repositories are fine, the user can't access updates through the default update manager (mintUpdate) anymore.

So to solve this here's a new idea which should make its way into future versions of mintUpdate:

- If the file server is unreachable, mintUpdate should try to find the rules on the web server (we've got two dedicated servers, so we may as well use them :)).
- If the web server is unreachable as well, then mintUpdate should use the rules it already has (they could potentially be out of date, but that wouldn't be such a big deal and it would only happen when both our servers are down).

Also, mintUpdate knows whether the system is connected to the Internet thanks to the fact that it manages to download the rules... so with this new idea, if the system is not connected to the net, it will take twice as long for mintUpdate to know about it... so obviously we'll find a better way to do this as well.

I'll also take the opportunity to look into the refresh problem.

Clem
tonyapp
Level 1
Level 1

Post by tonyapp »

My mintupdate icon is showing "error" and hovering over it gets "unable to connect to the internet". Is this a function of the recent depositories problem? If not, can anyone suggest a fix, please?
Tony

Return to “Releases & Announcements”