Mint Xfce won't shut down.

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Old Marcus

Mint Xfce won't shut down.

Post by Old Marcus »

I installed this edition on my dad's computer fine, but it has had a problem when you tell it to shut down, it takes you to the mint splash screen, where the loading bar empties all the way, but then it doesn't shut down. For instance, my dad shut it down last night, I got up this morning and it was still on the splash screen. every time we have to force shut down with the power button. If there is a fix for this, or even if it is just an OS bug, any info would be appreciated.

System specs if helpful:

Intel Celeron 1.00 GHz
248 Mb RAM

If you want any more info, ask and I will get it. :)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
4Orbs

Re: Mint Xfce won't shut down.

Post by 4Orbs »

This works for some people, myself included, with all Mint and Ubuntu distros I have used. First open the /etc/modules file in the text editor as root by entering in the terminal:

Code: Select all

gksudo mousepad /etc/modules
Then add this as the last line of the file:

apm power_off=1
Save and close the file then reboot (important) your computer. Shutdown might work correctly thereafter for you.

I have done this on maybe 8 or more Ubuntu and Ubuntu derivatives installed on my computer. Fixed my shutdown problem every time.
Old Marcus

Post by Old Marcus »

Cheers mate, worked a treat. :D
kryptogrowl

Post by kryptogrowl »

This fix worked for me too. Thank you.
DapperMe17

Post by DapperMe17 »

I edited /etc/modules

sudo mousepad /etc/modules
& added.........apm power_off=1

But, I had to also edit /boot/grub/menu.lst

sudo mousepad /boot/grub/menu.lst
adding........acpi=off apm=power_off..........to the end of the "kernel" line.

Editing both files did the trick :D

Return to “Xfce”