Switch from main to KDE

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Husse

Re: Switch from main to KDE

Post by Husse »

Short answer - NO
We have yet to get a meta package for KDE like we have for XFCE
Of course you can install KDE proper but that's not the same
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
gumby
Level 3
Level 3

Post by gumby »

Husse,

Well, this seems like it might be the same question I was going to post. I (a newbie to Linux) want Mint KDE to be the first distro I try, because they say KDE is more like WIndows and I've seen Ubuntu Gnome on computers and its desktop seems kind of boring. But I see that the new Felicia KDE version is not yet ready. Rather than download the older Elyssa KDE version, I wondered if I could download Felicia Gnome edition now and transform it to KDE later. Your answer suggests that I can't do that.

Downloading a distro is also a new adventure for me, and I don't know if i will succeed with my not so fast wifi connection. So I'd like to minimize the downloading. Also I'd like to minimize installing and uninstalling and reinstalling distros.
Husse

Post by Husse »

Actually we have got some criticism from some purists because the main edition looks to much like Windows
The appearance is quite different from Ubuntu and more Windows like - like it or not :)
Fred

Post by Fred »

gumby,

The general consensus seems to be that the generic KDE tends to be more like a Windows desktop than the generic Gnome desktop. Having said that, Mint's desktops all tend to be more like Windows than the generic versions of the same desktop.

Fred
gumby
Level 3
Level 3

Post by gumby »

Thanks for the info...but the big question is...at some point, if I don't love Gnome, will I be able to download a few files that will transform the Gnome Felicia into a KDE Felicia? Any plans for this? I believe you can transform Ubuntu into Kubuntu in this way.
Fred

Post by Fred »

gumby wrote:
I believe you can transform Ubuntu into Kubuntu
True, you can. But you can't turn a Chevy into a Ford or Mint Gnome into Mint KDE. Mint isn't Ubuntu, even though it is based on Ubuntu and uses its' repos.

I think there are plans to make a meta package to move from Mint Gnome to Mint KDE but it isn't here yet. :-)

Fred
Husse

Post by Husse »

I think there are plans to make a meta package to move from Mint Gnome to Mint KDE but it isn't here yet. :-)
Correct - only the meta package for XFCE is ready - but it will come - eventually :)
Husse

Post by Husse »

abhilashkumar wrote:Hi guys,

Has the Gnome to KDE meta package been released yet?
Not for Elyssa, but it's been there for Felicia quite while now
http://packages.linuxmint.com/#6main
Boo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Boo »

There will not be a Gnome to KDE meta package.
there is a mint 6 mint-meta-kde package but it is mainly for making kubuntu 8.10 to mint 6 KDE.

Boo
Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!

Return to “Software & Applications”