mintInstall 3.4 released in Romeo!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

mintInstall 3.4 released in Romeo!

Post by clem »

Hi,

mintInstall 3.4 was released in Romeo and it's full of new features :)

Changes:

- GUI and HIG improvements: The graphical interface looks better and changes were made for it to follow the Gnome HIG guidelines

- removed support: You can now search and launch the removed portal from mintInstall. GDebi is used to install the .deb packages you click on. Warning: removed shows packages for the latest Ubuntu version. If you're using an old version of Linux Mint there might be risks involved in using this. This will be explained in details within the upcoming Elyssa User Guide.

- APT support: You can now search the repositories for a package, show information for a particular package (including the list of files contained in it) or even install a package directly from mintInstall. This will save you opening Synaptic or a terminal and before you know it this will be your favorite feature ever, in the entire world..etc etc.. you were warned! :) You can also visit the repository pages for Linux Mint and Ubuntu, and from there search a particular package across different repositories of the two distributions.

- mintSystem framework: This is quite technical but it brings a huge improvement. A new package called mintSystem keeps track of your system version (which release you're running..etc). MintInstall doesn't keep its own sources.list anymore and it doesn't store its own release ID for use with the portal... it now asks mintSystem for it. Basically, in the past... if you were running Celena/Cassandra and installed a version of mintInstall made for Daryna ... the program would use the portal made for Daryna... whereas now, by asking mintSystem what release you're running it will use the appropriate portal. So it basically means you'll be able to install versions of mintInstall made for Elyssa (like this one for instance) without compromising your system. The portal will point at Daryna packages since even though it's an Elyssa-designed mintInstall, the version information is given by your Daryna-made mintSystem.... oh well, it's not that important. Just trust me on this, this will save a lot of potential headaches in the future :)

How to install it:

- Make sure to have the Romeo repository in your sources.list
- Upgrade to the newest mintinstall (apt update; apt install mintinstall), it should get something called mintsystem as a dependency.. if you upgrade to the latest mintinstall using mintupdate make sure to check the "dist-upgrade" option in the preferences.
- Launch mintInstall by clicking on "Software Portal" in mintMenu

Translations:

mintInstall 3.4 supports unicode and special characters. We want it to support as many languages as possible, so if you happen to speak anything else than English, please help us translate it.

Read this thread and participate in the translation effort: http://www.linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopi ... =43&t=9110

Bugs and feedback:

This is going to be part of Elyssa, and a major component of the desktop so don't hesitate to report bugs or feedback by replying to this thread.

No additional work is planned on mintInstall for Elyssa. If Linspire releases the API for CNR early enough another version might be released. This is however uncertain and CNR support in Linux Mint 5 is likely to use a CNR client rather than mintInstall itself. This is hard to predict at this stage. Unless something change this will be planned for Linux Mint 6.

Screenshots:

I couldn't resist putting a few screenshots for this one:

Clem.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Re: mintInstall 3.4 released in Romeo!

Post by clem »

By the way.. you've probably noticed by now, we're focusing on the mint tools for Elyssa right now :) Hopefully we'll reach code-freeze soon. If you're interested in the roadmap to Elyssa you can follow the progress on the wiki here: http://www.linuxmint.com/wiki/index.php/Elyssa_RoadMap

Clem
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

I may have found a minor problem. If I have mintinstall open the browser, mintinstall turns grey. If I have the browser already open, mintinstall refreshes just fine.

The new features are great!
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

If I open mintinstall type a package name in, it opens Firefox and takes me to the package I want but mintinstall turns grey and I have to "force quit". The program is not refreshing when I use it like this. If Firefox is already running there is no problem.
WoodCAT
Level 1
Level 1

Post by WoodCAT »

exploder wrote:If I open mintinstall type a package name in, it opens Firefox and takes me to the package I want but mintinstall turns grey and I have to "force quit". The program is not refreshing when I use it like this. If Firefox is already running there is no problem.
I've tried this, opened mintinstall, did several searches, thus opening several windows of Fx, but mintinstall still work fine

I'm on Mint4, btw
hootmon17

Post by hootmon17 »

How do I get the Romeo repository?
Husse

Post by Husse »

Did you do this with mintUpdate?
If so you need to have the dist-upgrade option activated
Please read this first
http://www.linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopi ... =18&t=9146
I'm against dist-upgrade :) :)
Husse

Post by Husse »

I've found a bug - a big one.
Clem you write
APT support: You can now search the repositories for a package
At least on my machine it searches the apt cache, not the repos.....
Ouch :)
Husse

Post by Husse »

If you read the topic in the link you saw that there is a potential danger - especially if you don't know which repositories you have active
So I would not have it activated except when you do things like installing mintInstall...
Well - the next question - which edition?
There should not be any difference (except for mintMenu) but...
newW2
Level 5
Level 5

Post by newW2 »

Don't forget Daryna:
## +++ Romeo (Linux Mint Unstable) +++
deb http://www.linuxmint.com/repository romeo daryna

You had:
# Romeo
deb http://www.linuxmint.com/repository romeo/

after it is installed:
- Launch mintInstall by clicking on "Software Portal" in mintMenu
newW2
Level 5
Level 5

Post by newW2 »

No problem. We have all done this or similar ... we like to think once, but truth be known ... :oops: :oops:
Husse

Post by Husse »

I have just posted the correct line here
http://www.linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopi ... 581#p56573
It is
deb http://www.linuxmint.com/repository romeo daryna
deb is automatically added in Synaptic
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

Fixed in mintInstall 3.5:
- searching for stuff containing space characters is now ok.
- greying out problem described by exploder.

Husse: What's wrong with using apt-cache? Please give me an example.

Thanks,

Clem.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

The greying out problem is completely fixed!

Return to “Releases & Announcements”