How to upgrade to Flash 10

Write tutorials for Linux Mint here
More tutorials on https://github.com/orgs/linuxmint/discu ... /tutorials and (archive) on https://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial
Forum rules
Don't add support questions to tutorials; start your own topic in the appropriate sub-forum instead. Before you post read forum rules
clem
Level 12
Level 12

How to upgrade to Flash 10

Post by clem »

Introduction

The stable release of Adobe Flash 10 is finally out but as always with proprietary components the upgrade path isn't straight forward. For the very first time Adobe provided a Deb package, but only for i386, not for amd64.

Linux Mint 5 comes by default with Flash 10 RC1 (10.0.218). The Romeo repositories feature Flash 10 RC2 (10.0.525). Both packages are named flashplugin-nonfree.

Adobe released a deb package called adobe-flashplugin (even though the filename is actually different) which both provides and conflicts with flashplugin-nonfree. In other words adobe-flashplugin replaces flashplugin-nonfree.

The version of Flash you're running

Visit: http://www.adobe.com/products/flash/about/

Installation on x86 editions

Get and install the package directly from Adobe:

http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/get/fl ... _linux.deb

If things don't work, uninstall the package by typing "apt remove adobe-flashplugin" in a terminal, followed by "apt install flashplugin-nonfree".

Installation on x64 edition

Warning: This is tricky... because Flash is proprietary and it isn't compiled for amd64. If you're afraid to break Flash or if you don't know how to reinstall it on x64, stay with version 9. If you're adventurous, open a terminal and type the following:

Code: Select all

wget http://queleimporta.com/downloads/flash10_en.sh && sudo chmod +x flash10_en.sh && sudo sh ./flash10_en.sh
Good luck everybody. Don't hesitate to post here if you face problems.

Clem.
knuckles

Re: How to upgrade to Flash 10

Post by knuckles »

for me, flash10 work's perfect under Mint32 but under Mint64 it make the same glitches as with flash9

here a bad question on my mint32 i have (to fix hardware problems) the kernel 2.6.26.5 installed, is it possible that this have something to do with the diffrence?
Lantesh

Post by Lantesh »

Thanks for the tip Clem. I installed the new version on my 32 bit Elyssa system. I had the RC2 version from Romeo, and I'm not sure that I notice any difference, but it's good to know that I'm now up to date.
red-e-made
Level 5
Level 5

Post by red-e-made »

Thanks, clem, the installation of adobe-flashplugin went off without a hitch.

One question: When I opened Synaptic, I noticed that while flashplugin-nonfree is now uninstalled (as it should be), flashplayer-nonfree 9.0.21.78-3v1ubuntu1 is still installed. Is this normal? Is there a Flash player 10 I should install?
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

red-e-made: I haven't tested the standalone player and Adobe doesn't seem to make too much noise about it (I wonder if they'll drop support for it soon or later). Anyway, it's available here: http://download.macromedia.com/pub/flas ... dev.tar.gz

Clem
jdog

Post by jdog »

Worked perfectly for me with your awesome X64 ! Thanks Clem !!
subslug
Level 3
Level 3

Post by subslug »

The installed failed for me if I let Gdebi deal with the .deb file

It worked fine just installing the .deb from a terminal though.

Thanks Clem. :)
N1ckR

Post by N1ckR »

subslug wrote:The installed failed for me if I let Gdebi deal with the .deb file

I uninstalled flash first and then installed via Gdebi and works great.

Cheers, Nick
arker

Post by arker »

N1ckR wrote:
subslug wrote:The installed failed for me if I let Gdebi deal with the .deb file

I uninstalled flash first and then installed via Gdebi and works great.

Cheers, Nick
Well me too, but it doens't work, I can't find the flash in about:plugins.
It seems I'm the only who can't install flash 10 :?:
LinuxForever

Post by LinuxForever »

Houston we have a problem.
I installed the new Adobe Flash Player from the .deb package. The new flash player uninstalled the nonfree flash player when it installed it's self.

Ff3 and Opera could not find the new flash player. Ff3 and Opera said I had to install the flash player. So, I used Adept to uninstall the new player and tried to use it to reinstall the nonfree player again. Adept got a 404 error. It couldn't download the nonfree player.

So, now I have no flash player at all. What do I do now? Thanks for any help.

Ok, I rebooted my computer and the little lock said there were 2 updates for Amarok . I installed those and then the updater said there was an update for adobeflashplayer 10.0.12.36-1hardy2. So, I installed it. Ff3 and Opera still can't find the flash player.
darco
Level 4
Level 4

Post by darco »

LinuxForever wrote:Houston we have a problem.
I installed the new Adobe Flash Player from the .deb package. The new flash player uninstalled the nonfree flash player when it installed it's self.

Ff3 and Opera could not find the new flash player. Ff3 and Opera said I had to install the flash player. So, I used Adept to uninstall the new player and tried to use it to reinstall the nonfree player again. Adept got a 404 error. It couldn't download the nonfree player.

So, now I have no flash player at all. What do I do now? Thanks for any help.

Ok, I rebooted my computer and the little lock said there were 2 updates for Amarok . I installed those and then the updater said there was an update for adobeflashplayer 10.0.12.36-1hardy2. So, I installed it. Ff3 and Opera still can't find the flash player.
You can try manually pointing Opera to the libflashplayer.so file...tools/preferences/downloads. Then scroll down to find x-shockwave then choose edit and point it to the path of the new flashplayer.,

darco
LinuxForever

Post by LinuxForever »

Darco thanks for the help. I didn't know I could do that. May be that would have worked. I found a way to solve the problem a bit differently. See below.

UPDATE!
I completely uninstalled adobe-flashplugin, swfdec-mozilla and libswfdec-0.6.90. Then I reboot my computer. Then I reinstalled adobe-flashplugin with the DEB installer. Then I rebooted my computer.

Every web cam I tried and the videos at Utube I tried work perfectly now. I can even listen to the symphony at the Maybach site again.

I think the problem was caused bt the swf files. I've had problems with those in other distros. Just using the Adobe Flash Player seems to work best with my harware.

There's something else I should add. Before this adventure with trying to upgrade to flash 10, when I tried playing videos at Utube, a message would tell me I didn't have Flash player installed or I had an older version of Flash player installed. Now I don't get that message anymore.
LinuxForever

Post by LinuxForever »

HermanDegenhart I tried that site and it works for me with no problems. You might be having the same problem I had (read my post above).

Try uninstalling adobe flash and the swf packages and then just reinstall the adobe flash with the DEB installer. I never use the swf packages in Ubuntu either. I don't know what it is about swf but it can cause a conflict with the adobe flash. Or, perhaps it's just my old hardware.
xnostradamusx
Level 3
Level 3

Post by xnostradamusx »

@herman

youtube and that site you mention works no problem im using the flash player posted above
~cheers~

xnostradamusx
xnostradamusx
Level 3
Level 3

Post by xnostradamusx »

ok after i installed the flash 10 which is stated above why my mint update suddenly appears and says there is an update for flash again? which is really supposed to be in our machine that one or the one mintupdate is saying after installing the flash 10 from the adobe website
~cheers~

xnostradamusx
xnostradamusx
Level 3
Level 3

Post by xnostradamusx »

HermanDegenhart wrote:Dear repliers, YouTube.com leaves my screen blank, as does Brasscheck. See http://www.brasschecktv.com/page/455.html . But when the site appears, I see a black space where the movie should play in a split second before it disappears.
Before I had these troubles, I could play Flashmovies on my computer. These movies however were hindered by Realplayer software. After removing the Realplayer, the Flashmovies played very well, until recently when I got these problems.
Could it be a solution to wait till next week when an upgrade to version 8.10 will be released? Or is it better to solve this problem to prevent them from appearing in the next system version as well?

i tried your website its working properly on mine using flash which is posted above
~cheers~

xnostradamusx
LinuxForever

Post by LinuxForever »

dberg918 what's the name of the plug-in?
msuggs

Post by msuggs »

LinuxForever wrote: what's the name of the plug-in?
adobe-flashplugin
LinuxForever

Post by LinuxForever »

dberg918 and omns thanks but the problem isn't getting the adobe flash player the problem is getting things to work right.

HermanDegenhart ok, if you want to wait for the 8.10 update I can understand that. I installed the 8.10 upgrade into Ubuntu 8.04 and 8.10 is still using the non-free player. I don't know if you can install the Ubuntu 8.10 upgrade into Mint. I might break something in Mint.

I checked what I have installed in Mint for flash. There's just the adobe-flashplugin 10, libflashsupport and libflashplayer.so. libflashplayer.so isn't listed in Adept so it must be installed by adobe-flashplugin 10.

This is interesting: Installing the Adobe Flash plugin on Ubuntu 8.04 "Hardy Hero http://discuss.itwire.com/viewtopic.php ... 55&p=27687
LinuxForever

Post by LinuxForever »

I don't know enough about kernels to know if the 2.6.24-21 kernel is the problem. Mint is using 2.6.24-19 by default. The upgrade from Ubuntu 8.04 to 8.10 installed 2.6.27-7 and Ubuntu 8.10 is still using the non-free flash plugin.

May be if you boot Mint with the 2.6.24-19 kernel that might help. In general it's better to use whatever versions are in the repos of a distro and that's especially true with Mint. I never install anything that I can't get with Mint Update. Usually... :wink:

Remember Mint isn't Ubuntu and what works in Ubuntu won't always work in Mint. Earlier this year, when I was using Mint 4, I tried installing Ubuntu Studio into Mint from Synaptic. It trashed Mint. The only way to recover was to do a complete reinstall of Mint.

Do you have StartUp-Manager installed? That lets you select the kernel you boot with and can also make a GRUB floppy disk for you. That's really handy to have if anything happens to GRUB on the MBR.

Return to “Tutorials”